Sound woes

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by R2DJ, Dec 16, 2008.

Dec 16, 2008

Sound woes by R2DJ at 6:27 PM (708 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I got a 44" rear projection TV about a month ago (an old Sony CRT one) which my mum bought from a friend and I am having fun playing my Wii and 360 on it. I finally moved on from standard to widescreen.

The TV says it supports Dolby Virtual, which emulates Dolby 5.1 surround sound. Should I set my Wii to Surround and 360's to Digital 5.1 instead of Stereo? The TV has 3 speakers below (3, not 2). It's located below the screen. I have an AV receiver but I can't use it because it's in another room.

Just played GHWT on my 360 and I compared the sounds when it's set to Dolby Virtual and Dynamic BBE (preferred for music):

Dolby Virtual - when the song No Sleep Till Brooklyn, the bass of the beats are much deeper. When listening to songs, I also feel that some parts of the songs are coming from different areas (as if I have a real surround set)
    BBE - normal but the songs are so much clearer

Please help.

2. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    there is no substitute for REAL or TRUE 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound!

typical 5.1

[​IMG]

typical 7.1

[​IMG]

what you have is classed as PSEUDO SURROUND SOUND/Fake Surround sound!

to the average user it will suffice but if you really want to ROCK OUT and get the best with your 360 then have a look at the back of the TV set and see if you can add the extra 2 rear speakers some sets have the ports to add them [​IMG]

If not then to get the best sound is just trial and error with the settings ... remembering that other stuff can influence the sound environment such as carpet on the floor as opposed to Laminate/hard uncovered flooring ... wall structure type or even if you have curtains in the room or not and objects like furniture ... that may change the sound waves they can ALL play a part in getting that nice sound from a surround setup [​IMG]

just fiddle about playing the same favorite track over and over with the xbox360 using it as a media player and adjust it until it sounds like it would playing it on a nice stereo system [​IMG]

3. Priss

Member Priss GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'm really happy with just a sub woofer and 2 satellites [​IMG] 2.1
    Ya I hook it up to my DS when I play at home lol

4. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    So is it still OK to use Surround? Even though it's the fake form?