Sony: 'We will fix' PS3 hack with updates

BloodyFlame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
A silly question, I'm sure, but couldn't they change the master code via firmware update and then send out the new code for developers to put into a game update? They'd obviously apologise for requiring the user to update all their games in order to play them, but wouldn't such a thing be possible?

Who would go through the trouble of that? And that would be a dick move if they did do that.

bpear96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:
A silly question, I'm sure, but couldn't they change the master code via firmware update and then send out the new code for developers to put into a game update? They'd obviously apologise for requiring the user to update all their games in order to play them, but wouldn't such a thing be possible?
yea i was thinking the same thing.but i think the disc games are signed with the code and that cant be changed via software update correct me if im wrong

gamerjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wintrale said:

No, say you bought a brand new PS3 when new codes and they did as you say and changed. If i were to buy any game ever created (before they did this) and it would never run. Sony doesn't have any feasible way out of this that we know of.

ThatDudeWithTheFood

TRIANGLEZ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamerjr said:
Wintrale said:

No, say you bought a brand new PS3 when new codes and they did as you say and changed. If i were to buy any game ever created (before they did this) and it would never run. Sony doesn't have any feasible way out of this that we know of.

This is why they can create a whitelist but homebrew can be added to whitelists through hackage.Also you cant just change the master key as it is in the hardware.

xDarkAngelx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel sorry for them, but they really did have it coming to 'em.
tongue.gif

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Sony be mad bros.

I don't think they even understand how hacked the PS3 is. I have to wonder if they have actually looked at how much work fail0verflow did in compromising the PS3.

There is no feasible solution. Sorreh Sony!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
gamerjr said:
Wintrale said:

This is why they can create a whitelist but homebrew can be added to whitelists through hackage.Also you cant just change the master key as it is in the hardware.

And even if they somehow did all of that, we could calculate the new key immediately, because they have no way of changing the fail number generator.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Raiser said:
Sylar1 said:
Raiser said:
To those that hollered "DS isn't hacked", read the word 'console' again.

aww i think you're mad bro
Nope. People just shouldn't reply to a post without properly reading it.

What is the DS then? A blender? I thought it was a handheld console.

People shouldn't get tetchy and talk crap because they forgot something.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cwstjdenobs said:
Raiser said:
Sylar1 said:
Raiser said:
To those that hollered "DS isn't hacked", read the word 'console' again.

aww i think you're mad bro
Nope. People just shouldn't reply to a post without properly reading it.

What is the DS then? A blender? I thought it was a handheld console.

People shouldn't get tetchy and talk crap because they forgot something.
If I meant to include the DS I would have said handheld or "handheld console".
When I say "console" in a PS3 topic, I'm pretty sure that doesn't include handhelds.

Fact is, even though I say "hacked", the people were able to pirate off the DS, but not the PS3 (until now).

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DS is hacked...

Can unsigned code be run? Yes.

Therefore, it is hacked. It requires additional hardware, but that doesn't mean its not a hack.

Stompy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony, Microsoft, Activision and or any other game manufacturer, must stay on top of this issue and continual patch and fix the security breaches.
They must do this to enable enjoyment of their games by legitimate players.

MW2 is a perfect example of hackers and mod'ers running amuck. The leader boards are trashed and you simply can not play a legitimate multiplayer on line match.
Look.. I have no problem if a hacker wants to Mod their machine so that they can run other apps and unleash its true processing potential.. Like using it as media server... Go at it !!...
I even have no problem, with them hosting a PRIVATE match with their other little hacker buddies and dropping a million nukes on each others little hacker heads..
Have at it and have fun in the PRIVATE lobby...

But that is not what the hackers are doing.. they are using these hacks to enter public lobbies and using them against legitimate players. They are using these powerful hacks to even screw with other players and reset their stats...
As I look at the issue... . in any community, whether real and or virtual, that type of behavior will ultimately not be tolerated.

NOTE to HACKERS ----- Remember... More people are engaging in these type of games (COD) than watch Jay Leno, David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel combined. These people will not tolerate their nightly enjoyment been destroyed. The manufactures will pay attention and fix it. The dollars in the match will force this issue...

Whether its via a patch, hardware update, and or even ostracizing those who "step over the line.

It will get fixed...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Patient zero giggity +1