Sony Shuts Down Zipper Interactive

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by luke_c, Mar 31, 2012.

1. luke_c
    OP

luke_c Big Boss

Jun 16, 2008
    Land of England
    [​IMG]

Sony Computer Entertainment have this week confirmed the closure of Zipper Interactive, the developers behind the series of SOCOM games, the MMOFPS PS3 title MAG and their most recent game, Unit 13 for the Vita which they released earlier this month. The closure of the studio is expected to affect approximately 80 employees.

This is what Sony issued in a statement to Game Informer regarding the closure:

Sony Computer Entertainment can confirm the closure of Zipper Interactive, a Seattle-based internal game development studio that has been part of the global development operation of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS).

The closure is a result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS. Zipper has completed all work associated with its most recent project, Unit 13 for PlayStation Vita. Zipper titles MAG, SOCOM 4 and Unit 13 will continue to be supported, including the new Daily Challenges in Unit 13.

[​IMG] Source

2. Smoldy

Smoldy Member

Newcomer
    Sep 17, 2010
    South of England
    Anybody but Zipper!

3. qlum

qlum Posting when needed

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Pirate Homeworld
    Why does the maker of my favorite flight game of all time have to die. (crimson skies)
    Although they have been producing shit after that.

4. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    That's a shame, though I haven't heard any particularly great things about MAG or Unit 13, so this isn't too shocking.

5. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    April fools!!!!

6. Wizerzak

Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

May 30, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Sorry, I didn't fall for it. Mainly because I just logged on to the temp SO that I could see what was the latest April Fool's.

Also, @[member='Guild McCommunist'] No Admin status for you :P

7. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    This could be correct, I actually believed this when I saw it yesterday. Has some big titles in their repertoire, but not that recent.

8. JonnyPoots

JonnyPoots GBAtemp Regular

May 21, 2011
    United States
    Agreed, Crimson Skies is one of the coolest flight games ever.

:: ponders :: If this is/were an April Fools joke, it would have been crueler to say they were finally making a Crimson Skies sequel.