GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
psntwo.jpg
Since the PlayStation 3 launched, console owners were allowed to download and install their PlayStation Network (PSN) games on up to five consoles. Now Sony has decided to reduce the number of consoles from five down to two, effective November 18, 2011.
The decision to limit the number of consoles PSN games can be downloaded and installed to from five to two is likely in response to people taking advantage of this system to share games with friends and family. A group of people who trusted one another could get together and register their PSN accounts on each others systems. Then, the group could share games that only one person purchased by taking advantage of the former five console download feature.
The new limitation will take effect on November 18 and it will include the PS3, the PSP, and the PS Vita when it launches. That means a PSP game can only be installed on two PSPs, a Vita game on two Vitas, and a PS3 game on up to two PS3s. Customers will be able to deactivate consoles via Sony customer service on the web.
Sony is claiming they are changing this restriction to “protect the rights of content providers.” As is to be expected, console owners are already expressing their displeasure in the new measure, accusing the company of instituting unfair DRM. Some people are also concerned about what would happen if they had multiple lost or broken devices and if this would impact their ability to access previously purchased content in the future.
On one hand, being upset about unfair DRM seems a bit silly in this case. Sony is willing to let you install the content you purchase on up to two systems simultaneously, which is something Microsoft doesn’t really allow with the Xbox 360. That system requires your profile be transfered to the second device, and that the device be connected to the internet to verify the license before playing. That effectively means you can’t play an XBLA game on two Xbox 360s in one house at the same time. Nintendo actually binds purchased content to the console itself and doesn’t even provide a way to move games from one Wii to another without sending the system in to them.
On the other hand, I can understand being upset about having limited control over content you have purchased. Game sharing on the PSN is kind of equivalent to lending a game out to a friend which is something that has been going on for as long as cartridges have existed. The flip side to that argument is both you and your friend couldn’t be playing the game at the same time which you can do on PS3 currently.
We’ll have to see how issues like broken or stolen consoles work out under this new restriction. I personally own two PS3s (don’t ask) so it’s nice that I can at least have my games installed to both locations at the same time still. I never went anywhere near the five console limit before. How do you feel about having the number of consoles you can download/install content to limited by Sony?
http://www.myce.com/news/sony-psn-games-can-now-only-be-downloaded-to-2-consoles-54148/

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
the guy talking about the 360 DRM knows only half of it, you can do a license transfer once every year where your account is linked to a new console and you don't have to be connected to the internet with that account to play.

Anywho I would be O.K. with this but if I remember correctly you can't unlink a console; so once you install it on two consoles your done and can't install it no more. Which seems really unfair as I've already been though one ps3 [though it was my own fault the graphics card melted :P] so unless someone can prove me wrong this is a dumb idea by sony.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
http://gbatemp.net/topic/312785-sony-to-start-limiting-game-sharing-as-of-this-month

(I mean, it's even on the front page)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety