Sony Investigating Virtual Reality Games

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
2011-01-05sony3dhmd-1.jpg
We're not sure if the return of technology that never came to fruition can truly be called retro, but we're seriously pondering the question thanks to Sony London Studios chief Mick Hocking. In an interview with Develop, Hocking brought up the head-mounted 3D display (seen above) his company showed off at CES, saying, "We're working with a couple of games at Sony that are experimenting with virtual reality-type experiences."

That's right, according to Hocking, virtual reality could be making a comeback. We're looking forward to the games that would spearhead a VR renaissance, but only if we'll get to drench ourselves in revamps of VR Troopers, VR.5 and Lawnmower Man.[/p]

Source

I can't imagine we'll see in for a few years yet (publically at least) but virtual reality is something that we've all come to expect sooner or later. As long as it doesn't make everyone feel ill like the Virtual Boy did, it could be the next revolution for gaming. Emphasis there on could.

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
once this goes mainstream I can picture it now on the news and by crazy politicians
"SONY creates murder simulator"

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
master00d said:
for me its kinda cool i always liked virtual reality but will it be ...... practical?
i mean wearing a thing like that and then shoot/kill zombies with you friend in front of you ..............
wtf.gif
Why would your friend be stood in front anyway, unless they were blind...

aiRWaLKRe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have been waiting almost 20 years for home VR. Ever since I played one of the early VR headset games at epcot, disney world, about 15 or so years go. Man was the headset big and bulky and a little heavy. You had to run from a center room into 4 different side rooms and grab a little orb and take it back to the center room and put it on an alter, while trying to beat the competition, and you could shoot them to make them drop their orb. It was cool to move my head around and look in the rooms and look at the gun in my hand ( which was only a little joystick trigger in the real world ) And all the while I was the only person to get all the orbs onto the alter befor my time ran out in the 45 minutes to 1 hr I was in line waiting to play it. And the one person running my station congratulated me for being the only person in the last 2 hrs to be able to do it. To bad there was no prize for it
frown.gif
Just the fun for doing it.

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
honestly where could games go? 3D seems to be next up on the list, but when it all comes down to it, all of the big steps truely lead to VR. 3D visuals would be all around you, motion gaming to the max and the best immersion would come from ...well feeling like your in the world.

Who the hell wouldnt want to live in their game world? Things like .//hack( the idea) would create some of the greatest gaming experiences in the world...of course at some major setbacks, mainly health issues (i would stay in a great fantasy MMO type worl as long as possible...screw work and school) and of course non-VR world social issues (job, school, family)

If stuff like .//hack was reality....consider my life forfit to gaming XD

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
Livin in a box said:
master00d said:
for me its kinda cool i always liked virtual reality but will it be ...... practical?
i mean wearing a thing like that and then shoot/kill zombies with you friend in front of you ..............
wtf.gif
2 of those is the answer
1 you , 1 your friend .........blind both !

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
inb4Sonyhate

also

inb4Guildcomesinandgivesspeechabouthowpeoplehateontheseideaswhenit'sSonybutifsomeonelikeNintendodoesitweallencourageandaplaudit

Anyway, I like the idea, I hope the actually do something with it.

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
master00d said:
Livin in a box said:
master00d said:
wtf.gif
2 of those is the answer
If you were blind then wouldn't it render these glasses useless...?

pistone

Trophies
in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
XP
Country
Albania
Livin in a box said:
master00d said:
Livin in a box said:
master00d said:
wtf.gif
2 of those is the answer
those glasses make you kinda blind!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
master00d said:
Livin in a box said:
master00d said:
Livin in a box said:
master00d said:
wtf.gif
2 of those is the answer
those glasses make you kinda blind!
What?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou