Sony Enters Tablet War

tommyt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
asonytablets.jpeg

QUOTE said:
Sony has shown off a pair of tablets that will launch later this year. The S1 is little more than yet another Honeycomb tablet in a
Sony-designed box, with a 9.4-inch widescreen display and a case which is wedge shaped.

Way more interesting is the S2, a clamshell tablet with two 5.5-inch screens. Each section has a rounded back, making it look like a squashed
burrito when closed. When opened, you can use it as a tablet with a black stripe down the middle, or both screens can display different
content, similar to the dual-screen Nintendo DS consoles.

And the gaming analogy is apt. The tablets will work with the PlayStation Suite platform, which is Sony’s way of putting PS software onto various devices.
We got our first glimpse of it on the PlayStation phone at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona earlier this year. For more on the gaming aspects of the
tablets, head over to our sister site Game|Life where Chris Kohler takes a look.

Both tablets will come with Wi-Fi and/or 3G/4G, and both will, as I mentioned, run Android Honeycomb. And both tablets will also pack infrared lamps to control
Sony Bravia devices. They’ll also beam music and video to compatible devices via the DLNA wireless protocol, which is similar in concept to Apple’s AirPlay.

All in all, these look like pretty neat devices, especially if you are already heavily invested in Sony gear. Price and availability are both as yet unannounced, but if
you pencil in “expensive” and “later this year” then you won’t go far wrong.

Lastly, a weird quote lifted from Sony’s press release. Talking about the OS, Google’s Android boss Andy Ruben apparently said the following: “Android 3.0 is
a new version of the Android platform with a new holographic user interface that is designed from the ground up for devices
with larger screen sizes, particularly tablets.” Holographic?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9DZdXHzXwk[/youtube]

Source

Edit: Added Video

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While it's nice to see some nice high-end tablets enter the market, no way in hell I'm buying a Sony one given the way they support the rest of their Android devices. I'm not even going to get into Sony as a company in general...

Also that clamshell tablet looks ugly as fuck. Aside from the clamshell idea itself being terrible, there's way too much wasted space there. If it gets released looking anything like that, the screens better have some kickass speakers on either side.

epicCreations.or

Trophies
Website
whalecakes.com
XP
Country
United States
FireEmblemGuy said:
Also that clamshell tablet looks ugly as f*ck. Aside from the clamshell idea itself being terrible, there's way too much wasted space there. If it gets released looking anything like that, the screens better have some kickass speakers on either side.
This, so much. I looked at it and was like
blink.gif
mellow.gif
unsure.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
its an interesting design but gotta check the price first. Such devices always come here expensive (if they ever do come) like the ipod sells here for around $600.
besides the fact that geohot aint gonna buy it hence hack it, the possibilities with this will be quite limited as the idevice market has grown quite large and ppl seem unlikely to shift to sony esp with their rep for many ppl

FireEmblemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to the Android market, we really don't need geohot. Let him go hack Apple devices again or something. There's a couple dozen different devs just doing Cyanongenmod, and even if none of those guys want to deal with it some other aspiring hacker will eventually figure out how to do something with it. Doesn't really matter, though, as you don't need to hack an Android device to pirate shit on it anyways.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
epicCreations.org said:
FireEmblemGuy said:
Also that clamshell tablet looks ugly as f*ck. Aside from the clamshell idea itself being terrible, there's way too much wasted space there. If it gets released looking anything like that, the screens better have some kickass speakers on either side.
This, so much. I looked at it and was like
blink.gif
mellow.gif
unsure.gif
Regardless of the wasted space, I like clamshell design, simply because I'd be able to fit it in my pocket. Throw a d-pad and some buttons on there, and you've got me sold...if I ever bought a tablet. (unlikely)

Off-topic: 1000th post.
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted-236924

"Design and specifications are subject to change without notice."

(Hint: OtherOS)

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw these earlier today and had two thoughts.

Upon seeing the popularity of Nintendo's DS line, Sony decides to release their own DSi, sans buttons of course.
s2_05_0426_2011.jpg

The codename for this thing is actually "S2" (I assume this stands for Screen 2, implying it has two, or rather Dual Screens)
Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but we've all seen the PlayStation Move...

I like the way they look, and the fact that they can play PlayStation games (no doubt meaning that we'd have to buy all of our old PlayStation discs again in a logical format) is pretty cool. But there is one thing that bothers me, there are no fucking buttons.
facemcgee.jpg

Look at that! The buttons overlap the game screen and are horribly placed. What if I need to press a shoulder button while I'm playing (anyone familiar with the Megaman Legends games know my concern)? Am I supposed to ask someone to stand on the opposite side and press it for me? That method wouldn't even work for the S2, only the S1.
Even overlooking all of that, what if I wanted to play Ape Escape? I can't see analog sticks working well at all on a touch screen.

It could be that I'm being bias, but you can't ignore the obvious inspiration and flaws.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah the advantage the Android emulators have is that the touch screen buttons are well positioned for most games, plus you can connect a Wii remote with a Classic Controller to it via the Bluetooth connection on the Motorola Xoom, so playing most games works just fine and even the touch screen based control layouts aren't retarded and can easily be accessed by the players.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
good fucking god...
mad.gif

OMG everyone is making tablets..Nyeh, nyeh, nyeh.. "WE can too!"
trollface.png

[Bias anti-sony alert Below

and lets make them repurchase all their purchases ALL OVER AGAIN.

NGP.

Xperia Play.

Now our Tablet's

Triple the re-purchasing!

Why on EARTH would we actually think of a sensible account system where users can sync their purchases to our other devices?

Cause We Liek Monies.

PS : tablet on right is a stolen DS / Game And Watch design....and why does the crash bandicoot screen look like its being played under the Android emulator FPSE?

(the R and L button placement)..

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
They really want to be on all areas.

I don't like tablets but it's nice that the iPad has more competence.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
the only thing I can see for this is that consumers will have more choices..and Apples cult culture of mindless sheep will decrease. (hopefully)...

there is just so many....*you kids these days and your card games, your technology your screen addictions and your Apple iPad and Motorola Xoom and your blackberry Playbook,and your Microsoft Tablet PC's, your Amazon Kindle, and your LG G-Slate, your HTC Flyer and your Dell Streak, your ASUS eee Pad, and your Acer Iconia, your Toshiba Regza and your Sony -

hey!...What happened to my money?..am I BROKE? XD

YGOTAS reference

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
stanleyopar2000 said:
the only thing I can see for this is that consumers will have more choices..and Apples cult culture of mindless sheep will decrease. (hopefully)...
Nah, Apple's cult culture of mindless sheep won't decrease. Sony's cult culture of mindless bulls will just get in the game.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
stanleyopar2000 said:
Nah, Apple's cult culture of mindless sheep won't decrease. Sony's cult culture of mindless bulls will just get in the game.

pretty much...and they will still buy...

FireEmblemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would assume stuff bought on the PS Suite would be shared between other Sony devices using Android, so at least the tablets and Xperia phones could share content. Hopefully there'll eventually be PSN integration, to share at least PSX games between your Xperia/tablet/NGP and maybe PSP or PS3. OF course, anyone who buys all of them or even more than one probably deserves to be parted from his money anyways...

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
FireEmblemGuy said:
....OF course, anyone who buys all of them or even more than one probably deserves to be parted from his money anyways...

well said! XD

this could also go well with Apple devices...but at least they let you transfer your content to all your devices...imagine if your apps on your one iDevice were locked onto that device...and couldn't be transferred to another one...this is what Sony is doing with both NGP Xperia Users (to the best of my knowledge)

maybe Sony could learn something from them about VALUE

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
Regardless of the wasted space, I like clamshell design, simply because I'd be able to fit it in my pocket. Throw a d-pad and some buttons on there, and you've got me sold...if I ever bought a tablet. (unlikely)

Off-topic: 1000th post.
biggrin.gif

So... a ds...
dry.gif

I mean come on that not even tablet, that a ds with no buttons.
laugh.gif

QUOTE(FireEmblemGuy @ Apr 26 2011, 02:22 PM) I would assume stuff bought on the PS Suite would be shared between other Sony devices using Android, so at least the tablets and Xperia phones could share content. Hopefully there'll eventually be PSN integration, to share at least PSX games between your Xperia/tablet/NGP and maybe PSP or PS3. OF course, anyone who buys all of them or even more than one probably deserves to be parted from his money anyways...
All you need from that really is the NGP and PS3 (or future ps4) and get a regular android.
After that I don't really see the need for a Sony (ds) tablet or Xperia play.

stanleyopar2000

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
All you need from that really is the NGP and PS3 (or future ps4) and get a regular android.
After that I don't really see the need for a Sony (ds) tablet or Xperia play.

that's because Sony wants their hands into everything...like the legal sys- EEUNGH....almost started a flamewar
ohmy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...