Sony and MS Handing Out Free Next Gen Bundles to Gamestop Managers

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're a Gamestop manager, you can expect to be shit on almost constantly. The work's not all that rewarding, and the paycheck definitely isn't. If that doesn't kill your enthusiasm, well, the endless onslaught of customers, from the scammers to the ignorant to the, ugh, casuals, certainly will.

Worry not, Gamestop Managers of the world. Sony has seen your plight, and have decided to reward you for your hard, thankless labor. And market their upcoming console. Yeah, really, it's pretty much entirely the second thing.

But, hey, you know, whatever. Either way, free stuff!

GameStop managers are in for a treat later this year when the PS4 launches, as they'll find one machine with their name on it, courtesy of Sony.

This news comes from the GameStop EXPO, which is happening right now in Las Vegas. According to an insider tip, GameStop managers have been promised a PS4 and seven launch titles: Killzone: Shadowfall, NBA 2K14, Madden, FIFA 14, Need for Speed: Rivals, Battlefield 4, and Beyond: Two Souls. That's a nice way to hit the ground running on the next generation (though the copy of Beyond will be for the PlayStation 3, since there's no PS4 version in the works). The seven free games will be delivered as a mix of physical copies and digital vouchers.
:arrow: The Escapist

Meanwhile, at Sony HQ...

Obviously, this is no simple act of charity. It's marketing, plain and simple. Making sure the people selling your console are excited about it and experienced with it can only help. Besides, putting yourself in the good graces of the leading game store in the US (and much of the rest of the world) certainly isn't going to hurt your chances, either.

So, if you're eagerly awaiting the PS4 but don't want to shell out the cash, there's still time to apply for a Gamestop position, wait through the hiring process, land the job, work your way through the ranks, and land the manager position before the system's November launch. Well, hypothetically. Sort of. I mean, it may sound like a lot, but that's only because it absolutely is.

And hey, while it's understandable to be jealous (mad jelly, even), that doesn't mean you should go and take it out on any Gamestop employees. As the saying goes, "Don't hate the player-to-be, hate the Gamestop."

EDIT: Seems like it's more than just the PS4 - Managers get the Xbox One, two too. Holla holla, get two next gen consoles for 0 dolla.

ElYubiYubi

GBATemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Not only a PS4

1185232_211845828939883_1954077624_n.png

Not only that they get ALL the launch games from both consoles..........WTF!!

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That will keep managers from borrowing their stock instead of selling them, and yeah some Gamestops do let managers borrow games and consoles for a day.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nice, an entire 7 games. It has to be better to be a GameStop manager than a regular employee though, right? I don't know why people dislike working at GameStop, seems like a great place to work if you like games, you meet likeminded people and you probably get some sort of employee discount. And on top of that you get to talk about games to everyone who comes in.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice, an entire 7 games. It has to be better to be a GameStop manager than a regular employee though, right? I don't know why people dislike working at GameStop, seems like a great place to work if you like games, you meet likeminded people and you probably get some sort of employee discount.

I take it someone has never worked retail.

And on top of that you get to talk about games to everyone who comes in.

"Will Halo run on my PS3?"
"How could you let me buy my son GTA? I never knew this game was so violent!"
"My console doesn't internet. How do?"
"Do you sell Battletoads?"

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice, an entire 7 games. It has to be better to be a GameStop manager than a regular employee though, right? I don't know why people dislike working at GameStop, seems like a great place to work if you like games, you meet likeminded people and you probably get some sort of employee discount. And on top of that you get to talk about games to everyone who comes in.

Not to mention that you're the first point of contact for customers who just want to take their rage out on you because you sold a game that sucked.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Shit money.
Shit working conditions.
Shit prospects.

I used to work at GAME in the UK.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Shit money.
Shit working conditions.
Shit prospects.

I used to work at GAME in the UK.
Well over here minimum wage is pretty good, so it wouldn't be so bad. I don't know about working conditions, but it seems okay to me.

Not to mention that you're the first point of contact for customers who just want to take their rage out on you because you sold a game that sucked.
Well they would probably take their rage out on the staff currently there. The manager probably isn't there all the time.

I take it someone has never worked retail.

"Will Halo run on my PS3?"
"How could you let me buy my son GTA? I never knew this game was so violent!"
"My console doesn't internet. How do?"
"Do you sell Battletoads?"
I haven't. I just hope most people aren't that stupid :P
Though if I worked at GameStop and they came in and asked for Battletoads I would just laugh at them, and if they complained a game they themselves wanted to buy was too violent then I would calmly explain that they should have checked themselves before they bought the game and that it is their responsibility to know what kind of game they are buying their kid. No biggie.
Though frankly I wouldn't know what to do if they continued being difficult after that. :P

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

If you consider people who ask "I'm sorry, can I run this PS3 game on my XBox 360?" or the latest hit I've heard myself as I was standing in the queue to the register - "Can I run this game on my Android?" to be likeminded, sure. Yes, you get plenty of those.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But but but gamestop is the bane of the games industry and with its second hand games policies is all but literally taking the food from the mouths of the children of those even tangentially involved in the games industry.

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes of course Sony give those managers who already earn much money and could buy the PS4 with a few hours of "work" while other people who actually work hard half a month or more to earn the money for the device -.-V

Rule of the World:
You have a good job and much money you get everything for free.
You have a bad job and work your ass of you pay even more money so that the rich can get their stuff for free

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yes of course Sony give those managers who already earn much money and could buy the PS4 with a few hours of "work" while other people who actually work hard half a month or more to earn the money for the device -.-V

Rule of the World:
You have a good job and much money you get everything for free.
You have a bad job and work your ass of you pay even more money so that the rich can get their stuff for free

If it helps do not think of it as a not a reward (mainly as it is not) but an incentive as the managers are the ones that can choose the layout of the shop (makes a bigger difference than you might imagine), have a certain measure of say in how many copies are ordered in a title (or the split), have an effect on how hard they push a given console and all sorts of other things you really want to have happen as a device manufacturer.

It also occurs that I do not know how much a manager for gamestop earns offhand. http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/GameStop-Store-Manager-Salaries-E1162_D_KO9,22.htm says not an awful lot compared (just shy of $38K or at current exchange rates about €28K and £24k) to what gets called a manager elsewhere.

Reactions: Skelletonike

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
If you consider people who ask "I'm sorry, can I run this PS3 game on my XBox 360?" or the latest hit I've heard myself as I was standing in the queue to the register - "Can I run this game on my Android?" to be likeminded, sure. Yes, you get plenty of those.
Well there have to be a lot of likeminded people too.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it helps do not think of it as a not a reward (mainly as it is not) but an incentive as the managers are the ones that can choose the layout of the shop (makes a bigger difference than you might imagine), have a certain measure of say in how many copies are ordered in a title (or the split), have an effect on how hard they push a given console and all sorts of other things you really want to have happen as a device manufacturer.

It also occurs that I do not know how much a manager for gamestop earns offhand. http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/GameStop-Store-Manager-Salaries-E1162_D_KO9,22.htm says not an awful lot compared (just shy of $38K or at current exchange rates about €28K and £24k) to what gets called a manager elsewhere.
Actually, retail managers these days don't have a whole lot of say in ordering or store layout. That's all handled by algorithms at home office. I'm actually kind of confused as to what a GameStop manager does that justifies $38K a year... That's a lot of money in my area of the US. I'd have expected more around $30K...

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well over here minimum wage is pretty good, so it wouldn't be so bad. I don't know about working conditions, but it seems okay to me.

According to my friend who works in the Fredrikstad Mall's Gamestop it really depends on your manager how good or bad the working conditions get... and at that one its not all that the manager is a fkin idiot :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-