Sony aiming for PSN to be restored by the end of May

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A spokesperson for Sony Japan has warned that PlayStation Network may not be fully operational again until 31st May.

Shigenori Yoshida told Bloomberg that the plan was to "restart services fully" by that day.

As of today, PSN has been offline for 19 days. The service went down on 20th April.

Should the PSN restoration go the distance, the online platform will have been unusable for 41 days.

A phased restoration of PlayStation Network was supposed to happen last week.

On Saturday, however, Sony announced (via the European PlayStation blog) a delay to this strategy brought on by the breach of Sony Online Entertainment's servers.

As you may know, we've begun the process of restoring the service through internal testing of the new system. We're still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system. Verifying the system security is vital for the process of restoration. Additional comprehensive system checks and testing are still required, and we must complete that process before bringing the systems online.

As you've heard us say, our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won't restore the services until we can test the system's strength in these respects.

When we held the press conference in Japan last week, based on what we knew, we expected to have the services online within a week. We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system. We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we're doing everything we can to make it happen. We will update you with more information as soon as we have it. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience of this network outage.

[/p]

Source

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh man, this is really a shame... Even though I don`t go online with my console it is very laborious to search for updates and patches for every game I want to start playing
frown.gif

But I think it is better if they make the servious safe rather then rushing it out before fixing the issues.

Also I have some friends that simply have a PS3 for FIFA11 and CoDBO (gramers
tongue.gif
) and those guys are pissed, since everything they do is playing online
rofl2.gif
Gladly I don`t care that much aside of the inconveniences of searching for euro-patches and such and installing them manually.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Who cares how long they'll be down? They could be down for 2 months if that'll give them enough time to re-design the system. Patience is a virtue, give them time to secure servers.

Maplemage

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
Who cares how long they'll be down? They could be down for 2 months if that'll give them enough time to re-design the system. Patience is a virtue, give them time to secure servers.
D=
But I want to play my Portal 2 online now!
But I hope they kinda do it earlier like how they said the store might not be open but the online will.

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This sucks. I've been wanting to buy Outland on the PSN store since it came out, but it went down a couple of days after. At the moment I've got some single player games to finish like Fallout New Vegas but it's still frustrating not being able to play Fifa with my friends online, or download new demos and DLC.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Maplemage said:
Foxi4 said:
D=
But I hope they kinda do it earlier like how they said the store might not be open but the online will.

"Bwaaaahaaa! We wannu play our gaaamez >.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
Maplemage said:
Foxi4 said:
D=

"Bwaaaahaaa! We wannu play our gaaamez >.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
QUOTE said:
yeah they should have done that in the 1st place

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition hackers.

XBox Live proved to have its share of security holes aswell. Difference being that nobody used them, and in Sony's case, they have. A matter of bad luck. Maybe karma.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will have to call you on that Foxi4

Anybody with a public facing server of some form should not only expect hackers but have some measures to lessen damage and do their utmost to prevent it. Anybody that handles sensitive data and indeed large volumes of it should expect it that much more.
What little information is available points towards Sony not taking this to heart on their servers and the less said about the PS3 network security the better (although it is perhaps a tangential discussion at this point in time).

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
You see why I hate online gaming so much? People buy stuff from the store and can't acess their stuff, just imagine what it would be like near the end of the ps3s life when Sony shut down psn for good a lot of people will be angy.

On top of that the era of dlc makes more reliance on psn even more that's why the old days of the ps2 ps1 will always be the best!

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
You see why I hate online gaming so much? People buy stuff from the store and can't acess their stuff, just imagine what it would be like near the end of the ps3s life when Sony shut down psn for good a lot of people will be angy.

On top of that the era of dlc makes more reliance on psn even more that's why the old days of the ps2 ps1 will always be the best!
What the hell are you on about? Only 2 games bought from the store cannot be accessed and they are both due to the DRM Capcom has placed on them. Everything else works fine, except online gaming which honestly is still non-essential.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
if this is true :

http://www.vgsynergy.net/2011/05/07/you-wi...th-the-new-psn/

then make them take all the time they want

i'm actually enjoying playing my other games for a change
laugh.gif
Now that PSN and the dependence of online is gone i'm actually getting through more of them (but still it would have been nice if i was able to complete downloading Fat Princess in my download queue
mad.gif
)

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Look at the bright side,
more time the PSN is down = more ppl will be online at the same time when it comes back = more ppl to co-op with.

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
SamAsh07 said:
Look at the bright side,
more time the PSN is down = more ppl will be online at the same time when it comes back = more ppl to co-op with.
OR server overload and more downtime?
Hopefully they can get things to work
smile.gif
. Getting 3DS soon, but also considering to get a 360 Slim for Xbox Live... in the meantime I could have played some stuff online on the PS3 :/. Good luck to them.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 said:
QUOTE said:
yeah they should have done that in the 1st place

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition hackers.

XBox Live proved to have its share of security holes aswell. Difference being that nobody used them, and in Sony's case, they have. A matter of bad luck. Maybe karma.
I wouldn't jump to Sony's defense so quickly. In the events leading up to the attack, their server software was obsolete and they improperly stored the user's personal data. It may be true that one cannot be clairvoyant when in comes to attacks such as these, but that's hardly a solid stance in Sony's favor.

Oh, and I highly disagree with the way you've mocked Sony's nay-sayers in your initial posts, without keeping in mind the crucial facts I mentioned above in mind. They have a right to complain. It just makes you come off as insensitive and, frankly, childish.
http://consumerist.com/2011/05/security-ex...psn-breach.html
http://techland.time.com/2011/04/28/sony-s...-personal-data/
http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/sony-admits...ncrypted-85693/

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I just don't find online console capabilities as uber-important, they've never been a huge selling point for me and hence my stance. Call me childish if you will, but there's nothing better than elbowing your opponent in the ribs when playing spit-screen. If PSN/WFC/XBox Live would be indefinatelly closed tomorrow, I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

Moreover, being as fanatically againts online software distribution as I am, PSN/DSiWare/WiiWare/XBoxyWhatevery can burn to all hells for all I care.

I find neither of those features essential.

Makes me look back at the days when every multiplayer game had Splitscreen. Those were the days. Actual gaming parties. Now it's just staring at the screen with headphones and a mic attached to your skull. Meh. Not my thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1