Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic Robo Blast 2 + Kart for the Nintendo Switch

icon.jpg
QljQdwo.jpg

That's right, two releases in one!

SRB2 and SRB2Kart are finally playable on the Nintendo Switch! Not really sure what else to say except the notes below. Big thanks to carstene1ns for his work on the initial port; I really only did some polishing work to get this up and running. Both games mostly run at their full framerate (35 FPS).

I've moved most of the details of this post to GitHub in order to make it easier to maintain. Check the link below for the instructions, download, and source.

Downloads
SRB2: https://github.com/heyjoeway/SRB2/blob/switch-port/README.md
Kart: https://github.com/heyjoeway/Kart-Public/blob/switch-port/README.md

Last edited by Deleted member 418227,

Deleted member 418227

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not post the binaries on github?

Kart Krew looks very fun to play. Thanks for the update!

I can post the bundle and NRO for SRB2 on the GitHub repo, but the Kart bundle and even just the NRO alone are too big for that GitLab instance. (Max file size is 10MB iirc.) So I figured I'd just put them both on Google Drive to keep things in one place.

Reactions: iriez

hyperhunt621

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
So, really stupid question but I'll ask it anyway, any chance in the future that loading additional WADs will work with the Switch?

I only ask given that this is still a WIP.

Deleted member 418227

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, really stupid question but I'll ask it anyway, any chance in the future that loading additional WADs will work with the Switch?

I only ask given that this is still a WIP.

It already does, it's just that you have to load them by making an autoexec.cfg (or adding to kartexec.cfg for Kart) with addfile commands pointing to the WADs you want. (All paths are relative to the NRO.) Pretty much the same situation as the 3DS port. Fixing the multiplayer menu in Kart is my top priority right now, but I'm guessing that the crash on that menu is related to the add-ons menu crashes, so it may end up being a 2-in-1 fix.

AronR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I loaded the GDrive bundles onto my FAT32 SD card. Could not get the games to run on hbmenu 3.0.1, just got a black screen on both... Running 6.2.0 with SX 2.5.2, tried the hbmenu nsp and album launch.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here lol

Deleted member 418227

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loaded the GDrive bundles onto my FAT32 SD card. Could not get the games to run on hbmenu 3.0.1, just got a black screen on both... Running 6.2.0 with SX 2.5.2, tried the hbmenu nsp and album launch.
Maybe I'm missing something obvious here lol

- Both: The game takes about a minute to boot. Not sure why this is, but supposedly it's related to the networking issues.

If it doesn't work after a bit, then I'm not sure. I've never tested on SX. Album launch should work just fine.

TeddyBearYoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It already does, it's just that you have to load them by making an autoexec.cfg (or adding to kartexec.cfg for Kart) with addfile commands pointing to the WADs you want. (All paths are relative to the NRO.) Pretty much the same situation as the 3DS port. Fixing the multiplayer menu in Kart is my top priority right now, but I'm guessing that the crash on that menu is related to the add-ons menu crashes, so it may end up being a 2-in-1 fix.
I would note that doing this for Kart currently will make the game unable to be played as Record Attack is the only mode, and using additional wads besides bonuschars (or at least, the character wads I tried using with it) will set off it's cheat detection and not let you play that mode.

Last edited by TeddyBearYoshi,

Risteing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
At last a Port I can play. And never heard about the "kart" mod before and it's actually quite fun to play with.
But I have the magic question… is it posible to apply mods on this port? I really want to try the Low Poly mod on my switch.

Fyrus

Artilleur Carmin
Trophies
XP
Country
France
At last a Port I can play. And never heard about the "kart" mod before and it's actually quite fun to play with.
But I have the magic question… is it posible to apply mods on this port? I really want to try the Low Poly mod on my switch.

TeddyBearYoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mods do work, however you currently can not use them until the online update is released as Record Attack does not let you play with anything other than bonuschars.wad.

On the bright side, they apparently fixed the addons menu crashing the other day so when the update does release you may be able to play with mods without having to use an autoexec config.

Unfortunately though even when that happens the low poly models with not be compatible, as the models require OpenGL mode which does not work on Switch atm.

Last edited by TeddyBearYoshi,

Deleted member 418227

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I've just updated the ports, and I think they're nearly feature-complete at this point. Some of the notable changes include:
  • Online support (!!!)
  • Mouse/keyboard support (yes, mouse support)
  • Software keyboard support for text fields/console
  • Add-ons menu fixed
  • Multiplayer menu fixed in Kart
Make sure to read the update notes if you've already downloaded either port.

Last edited by Deleted member 418227,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over