WIP Sonic Robo Blast 2 + Kart for Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by heyheyitsjoeway, Feb 8, 2019.

1. heyheyitsjoeway
    OP

heyheyitsjoeway Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Sonic Robo Blast 2 + Kart for the Nintendo Switch

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That's right, two releases in one!

SRB2 (2.1.23) and SRB2 Kart (1.0.3) are finally playable on the Nintendo Switch! Not really sure what else to say except the notes below. Big thanks to carstene1ns for his work on the initial port; I really only did some polishing work to get this up and running. Both games mostly run at their full framerate (35 FPS).

Installation Instructions
    1. Make sure your Switch can run homebrew.
    2. Extract the contents of the zip to the root of your SD card.
    3. Start SRB2/Kart via hbmenu (or whatever method you prefer).

Update Instructions
    SRB2 2.1.23 -> 2.1.23.1, Kart 1.0.3 -> 1.0.3.1
    - Simply download the new NRO (attached to this post) and overwrite the current one. The data files are the same.
    - Kart: You can delete kartexec.cfg. It was previously used to load bonuschars.kart when the add-ons menu wasn't working but now may cause issues if trying to join servers that don't use the add-on.

Features
    - Full online support*
    - Full mouse/keyboard support
    - Software keyboard supported when able to pause game

* Online support requires full RAM access. This means you can't launch hbmenu from the album applet when running this. Here's a good tutorial on a fix: https://gbatemp.net/threads/use-atmosphere-to-access-full-ram-with-homebrews-without-nsp.521240/

Notes
    - Both: I've included a (kart)config.cfg that sets the resolution to 800x450 by default. It doesn't really do anything else so you can leave it out if you'd like.
    - Both: The game takes a bit to boot. A faster SD card may help with this.
    - Both: Without a config file, the game's default resolution is 320x200. I recommend setting it to 800x450 for the best balance of performance and visuals.
    - Both: You are unable to use the software keyboard when you are unable to pause the game. This is because the software keyboard pauses the entire game while it is active and could effectively be used as a lag switch.
    - Both: The game continues to run while on the Switch's home screen when you are unable to pause for the same reason as above.
    - Both: If you want to play the game with mouse/keyboard, you'll have to bind most of the buttons yourself.
    - SRB2: All button bindings are set "correctly" out-of-the-box. You might want to tweak them to your liking though.
    - Kart: All button bindings are set to match the Xbox controller layout (Xbox A -> Switch B, Xbox X -> Switch Y, etc.)

Issues
    - Both: OpenGL doesn't work. If anyone smarter than me wants to take a crack at this, please do.
    - Both: Split joy-cons don't work.
    - Both: If you put the console to sleep while hosting a network game, your Switch will crash, so don't do that.
    - SRB2: No MIDI support.
    - Kart: I had the game once crash when it played the title screen demo but wasn't able to reproduce it. Just keep an eye out for this.

Download
    SRB2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BFaAdmDVtZ02BDtzEB2xBdq_MdWrzhnd
    Kart: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AU2O7b9bqQU8HUT0pdVxHMe-8vdOlryN

Both include required data files and are built using the latest devkitPro bundle on Debian.

Source
    SRB2: https://github.com/Joseph14078/SRB2
    Kart: https://git.magicalgirl.moe/heyjoeway/Kart-Public

Changelog
    SRB2 2.1.23.1, Kart 1.0.3.1: (Current)
    - Both: Fixed add-ons menu
    - Both: Added online support
    - Both: Added mouse/keyboard support
    - Both: Added software keyboard support
    - Both: Tweaked default controls
    - Kart: Fixed multiplayer menu crash
    - General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience

SRB2 2.1.23, Kart 1.0.3:
    - Initial release

Attached Files:

Last edited by heyheyitsjoeway, Feb 14, 2019 at 10:26 PM
    DSwizzy, VinsCool, derrek and 7 others like this.
  2. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2016
    United States
    Why not post the binaries on github?

Kart Krew looks very fun to play. Thanks for the update!

TeddyBearYoshi likes this.
  3. heyheyitsjoeway
    OP

heyheyitsjoeway Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    I can post the bundle and NRO for SRB2 on the GitHub repo, but the Kart bundle and even just the NRO alone are too big for that GitLab instance. (Max file size is 10MB iirc.) So I figured I'd just put them both on Google Drive to keep things in one place.

iriez likes this.
  4. landysmods

landysmods Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Australia
    Awesome work, this looks great!

5. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    Amazing thank you!

6. hyperhunt621

hyperhunt621 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2018
    So, really stupid question but I'll ask it anyway, any chance in the future that loading additional WADs will work with the Switch?

I only ask given that this is still a WIP.

7. heyheyitsjoeway
    OP

heyheyitsjoeway Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    It already does, it's just that you have to load them by making an autoexec.cfg (or adding to kartexec.cfg for Kart) with addfile commands pointing to the WADs you want. (All paths are relative to the NRO.) Pretty much the same situation as the 3DS port. Fixing the multiplayer menu in Kart is my top priority right now, but I'm guessing that the crash on that menu is related to the add-ons menu crashes, so it may end up being a 2-in-1 fix.

TeddyBearYoshi and hyperhunt621 like this.
  8. Y0sh1

Y0sh1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    Ireland
    screenshots?

9. AronR

AronR Member

Newcomer
    Nov 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I loaded the GDrive bundles onto my FAT32 SD card. Could not get the games to run on hbmenu 3.0.1, just got a black screen on both... Running 6.2.0 with SX 2.5.2, tried the hbmenu nsp and album launch.
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious here lol

10. heyheyitsjoeway
    OP

heyheyitsjoeway Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    If it doesn't work after a bit, then I'm not sure. I've never tested on SX. Album launch should work just fine.

11. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    United States
    the Unknown
    I would note that doing this for Kart currently will make the game unable to be played as Record Attack is the only mode, and using additional wads besides bonuschars (or at least, the character wads I tried using with it) will set off it's cheat detection and not let you play that mode.

Last edited by TeddyBearYoshi, Feb 10, 2019
  12. Risteing

Risteing Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2018
    Argentina
    At last a Port I can play. And never heard about the "kart" mod before and it's actually quite fun to play with.
    But I have the magic question… is it posible to apply mods on this port? I really want to try the Low Poly mod on my switch.

13. Fyrus

Fyrus Artilleur Carmin

Jul 6, 2010
    France
    Marseille - France

14. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    United States
    the Unknown
    Mods do work, however you currently can not use them until the online update is released as Record Attack does not let you play with anything other than bonuschars.wad.

On the bright side, they apparently fixed the addons menu crashing the other day so when the update does release you may be able to play with mods without having to use an autoexec config.

Unfortunately though even when that happens the low poly models with not be compatible, as the models require OpenGL mode which does not work on Switch atm.

Last edited by TeddyBearYoshi, Feb 11, 2019
  15. heyheyitsjoeway
    OP

heyheyitsjoeway Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2017
    United States
    Hey all, I've just updated the ports, and I think they're nearly feature-complete at this point. Some of the notable changes include:
    • Online support (!!!)
    • Mouse/keyboard support (yes, mouse support)
    • Software keyboard support for text fields/console
    • Add-ons menu fixed
    • Multiplayer menu fixed in Kart
    Make sure to read the update notes if you've already downloaded either port.

Last edited by heyheyitsjoeway, Feb 13, 2019 at 3:06 PM
    AronR, Tomobobo, Risteing and 2 others like this.
  16. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    United States
    the Unknown
    Oh fudge! I saw progress in the Kart Krew Discord but didn't expect these to be released so fast. This is amazing.

17. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Any videos of the gameplay?

18. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    United States
    the Unknown

This test video from the Discord showcasing the online crossplay is the only one I know of.

There are many videos of SRB2/SRB2Kart in general, though, and the Switch versions are largely identical.

Last edited by TeddyBearYoshi, Feb 13, 2019 at 9:27 AM
    ganons likes this.
  19. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Nice, looks pretty fancy for a homebrew.

TeddyBearYoshi likes this.
  20. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2016
    United States
    the Unknown
    Made some custom NSP icons.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These renders are not mine! They're from Logan McCloud's Low Poly MD2s, a great mod for SRB2 & Kart.
    I think the renders themselves were made by Chaofanatic, but I could be wrong.

Risteing likes this.