Sonic Mania Plus gets new trailer, launches this July

The recently announced additional content to Sonic Mania will be launching later this summer, in July. A new trailer gives us a look at some of the new additions and features the update will bring, such as a 4 player competitive versus mode, stages taking place at a different time and looking a little visually different, and the abilities of new characters Mighty and Ray. For those that already own Sonic Mania's base game, you can update to the Plus content at a cost of $4.99 with the "Encore" DLC pack. Sonic Mania Plus will release for all previously established platforms, for $29.99 on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC, on July 17, 2018.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
I must say that as a beta tester(INB4 salty comments out of doubt), Ray is so easy to control! I knew right when his assets have been completed that he's based on the Cape powerup from Super Mario World.
Mighty, on the other hand, is pretty destructive, even more than knuckles! It takes a while to keep in the idea of using his ability, but once you get the hang of it, he's pretty fun to play with!
And as you all saw, yes, there are new zones, revamped zones, 4 player mode, all in a neat DLC Encore package.
Can't wait for more content to be shown to you guys soon! :)

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder if we'll be able to choose who our partner player is. Obviously you can already play as Sonic and Tails or any one of the 3 available with Knuckles. Would be neat if they went all out and let us choose the combo of characters we use Sonic Advance 3 style even if some character combos offer nothing for the second player to help with (as opposed to Tails who can lift you up and fly you around briefly).

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 player mode and no online mode? Do something please :blink:

Also I think people would have liked it more if they just had more playable stages especially if they gonna have friends to play with, still they didn't mention anything about switch multiplayer mode, sharing a screen is okay but the switch opens up new option of just having 4 systems linked together instead.

Also the altered color pallet for the stages I did notice, just curious what was the idea behind that?:unsure:

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Id be surprised if there isnt a mod for the pc version.
Oh there is, it's called Sonic 3XP which effectively puts Sonic 3 sprites into Sonic Mania, alongside all their animations.
But I was talking about the official Sonic Mania release.

Why force people into the awful Sonic 2-like sprites when the Sonic Hacking community constantly argues for support to choose between S1, S2 and S3 sprites in every hack. A simple sprite swap between S2 and S3&K can do it for a lot of people.
I'm not keen on the S2 sprites AT ALL, and I know quite a few people who also prefer the S3 style to this.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh there is, it's called Sonic 3XP which effectively puts Sonic 3 sprites into Sonic Mania, alongside all their animations.
But I was talking about the official Sonic Mania release.

Why force people into the awful Sonic 2-like sprites when the Sonic Hacking community constantly argues for support to choose between S1, S2 and S3 sprites in every hack. A simple sprite swap between S2 and S3&K can do it for a lot of people.
I'm not keen on the S2 sprites AT ALL, and I know quite a few people who also prefer the S3 style to this.

I personally prefer the Mania sprites. I understand that nostalgia is a powerful thing, but being as objective as possible, I just enjoy Mania's look better, and I say that as someone who grew up on and loves the genesis games. Having said that, I just can't identify with how small aesthetic things like this can become such deal-breakers for some people

Reactions: Slackot

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I personally prefer the Mania sprites. I understand that nostalgia is a powerful thing, but being as objective as possible, I just enjoy Mania's look better, and I say that as someone who grew up on and loves the genesis games. Having said that, I just can't identify with how small aesthetic things like this can become such deal-breakers for some people
If it were for nostalgia, I'd love the S1 and S2 sprites, since I also played both 1 and 2 back when they were launched and even before 3.
But as personal preference, I don't see why they decided to go for the S2 aesthetic instead of S3's given how this is supposedly a sequel to 3.
The S3&K sprites seem way more polished to me and not as blocky and numb as the previous sprites.
But yeah, I really can't stand the old sprites at all, it's really off-putting when you have the S2 sprite with an odd colour palette, then Tails' sprite (which is more or less the same in 2, 3 and Mania), and then the 32X sprites for Knuckles.

I would much rather prefer a standardized styled for all sprites altogether instead of a mish-mash to be honest.
I don't know, call me nitpicky but I would prefer it if Mania had sprite swaps as an unlockable or something to change Sonic and Knuckles' sprites to their S3&K design. Just a suggestion xD

D

Deleted User

Glad to hear that there might be some new zones, I sincerely hope for a new 8 at least. Ray looks like he might be fun to play as.

The multiplayer camera being fixed looks so much better than the Genesis styled ones ever did. 4 player is a nice touch, but I would have liked lan &/or online play too.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes. He's saying the game was finally made by people who actually grew up with the series and love it.
i see...
but it's not an official game as redo pretends, right?

Last edited by Noctosphere,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
He is talking about this game - Sonic mania. Which is officially licensed and backed by Sega.
oh ok...
yea I heard a lot about sonic mania, but never played it though

anyway, thanks for enlighting me

*snip*

Last edited by porkiewpyne,
Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I found a internet archive that's up to 2021 that's it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or if you are on on old fw, it won't let you online till u update to newest
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm still not getting that hyped over it I can play my pc game that I torrented with a torrent for Xbox that's the same game woo
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But yea @SylverReZ the Durango dumps have all I've heard of till now that was significant
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If they enable stealth online like the good old jtag days that'll be different
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    #BringBackGodModeOnline
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    #makekensmomwashdatass
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    #MakeDaTempGreatAgain
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My feelings
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm sorry, i feel bad now.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yo momma is just fine as she is.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really don't
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Can't we just go back to waking each other's dicks again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No! We said we' d never mention that agai...no I mean what are you talking about, thats ridiculous
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can hug and make up which part of your body would you like kissed sir
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just wanna spoon and...no I'm not falling for your tricks anymore, I've moved on.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yes I know about your deep love you have for @SylverReZ but I was your first
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could've been polly thinking about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its not your baby, no matter how much you what it to be, we were separated at that time.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We sound like Mexican soap operas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I miss polly, he took alot shit but was fun messing with him
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's why I don't get too involved in the forums I don't want my name all over the damn place but I do feel like I had a doing in the Leo and Luke love battle lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the cross gen console thing has killed playing cod, bf, pubg on consoles. Cheaters on pc has made them horrible to play on consoles.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's why they dump millions into security now I remember getting all my cod shit unlocked in one match was fun
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    An option to just play with console players may reduce latency even
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: An option to just play with console players may reduce latency even