Sonic Frontiers: World Premiere gameplay trailer

After teasing a first-look at Sonic Frontiers, IGN has revealed the world premiere gameplay showcase for the game. The 7-minute video sees Sonic traveling through an open world, sparsely decorated with things you'd expect to see in a Sonic game: rings, springs, and rails. There's a large tower ala typical other open world games, that Sonic can climb to the top of. There are puzzles to solve that can unlock new areas, as well. Sonic Frontiers will be out before the end of the year, with more gameplay scheduled to be shown next week.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The world looks like a retarded minecraft creative server with crap floating everywhere.

I've never seen such a dull trailer in my life. Sonic absolutely does not work in open world and it's like this was a showcase for why. The entire point of sonic is that it's very nonstop. This game trailer was nothing but downtime.

I assume that isn't even Sonic the Hedgehog, looks to be his ancient cousin Barely-A-Jog the hedgehog.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just gonna say. I want to give it some benefit of doubt but it's not looking good in my opinion... both graphically and gameplay. 7 minute video where sonic runs around a empty forest ruins, no objective, no enemies, collect rings, solve puzzles and stuff. Reminds me of those "Tech demos" of fan games for sonic fan games expos. And I noticed "Texture pop in" Not sure what system they was running the game on, but didn't look 60fps either.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
The world looks like a retarded minecraft creative server with crap floating everywhere.

I've never seen such a dull trailer in my life. Sonic absolutely does not work in open world and it's like this was a showcase for why. The entire point of sonic is that it's very nonstop. This game trailer was nothing but downtime.

I assume that isn't even Sonic the Hedgehog, looks to be his ancient cousin Barely-A-Jog the hedgehog.
Sonic Open World will be... interesting, considering Sonic '06 and everything.
But this looks promising so...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this will be a very empty open world game... seriously it will make botw open world look like tokyo in rush hour, looks like there is little to do and the entire point is collecting coins and such? i mean unless you actually need coins to buy stuff its just boring imo. also very barren terrain everywhere.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not shown it to us yet, but presumably he'll get a few hundred yards dash out of his newly crafted shoes before they break?? Also the hidden purple coins to collect, give me a fuckin brea--sorry, they're orbs, I apologise! :lol:
Seriously though, despite the hilarious level of rip-off, and the complete lack of enemies, I'll probably still give it a whirl!

BlueFox gui

SOMEONE
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
look, as a sonic fan i have to defend myself, my honor and my character and say, this game looks so fucking boring, god, its what i expected, its exactly like sonic forces but in open areas, still has dashpads with automated sections, seeing sonic running sometimes is nice but the rest is boring, how does sega still fails to make a game about blue hog that go fast and spin, its not that hard

Reactions: SANIC and Bladexdsl

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this will be a very empty open world game... seriously it will make botw open world look like tokyo in rush hour, looks like there is little to do and the entire point is collecting coins and such? i mean unless you actually need coins to buy stuff its just boring imo. also very barren terrain everywhere.
I'd be happy with a new Sonic Unleashed than an open world game. Hopefully Sega doesn't fuck this up.

Sonic Forces was awful.

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The game looks very beautiful (I'm even afraid of how the Nintendo Switch version will turn out and if the PS4 can run at 60fps like all Sonic games on the console) in addition, the soundtrack and the gameplay are also very good.

But I'm kind of confused about what the main objective of the game is, I thought the open-world would work as a ''hub'' where you would enter stages, but the gameplay only showed Sonic walking around the map and doing tasks, that's it worried me a little.

I guess I'll have to wait to get a more concrete opinion, I hope they show more of the game soon.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Also the coins and ramps and rails seem to be randomly scattered around and you stop every few minutes to do a puzzle or something to get a coin or ob or whatever... where is the action on this trailer? this is gonna be a traisnreck just like sonic 06, do remenber the game aims to be hollyday 2022 so they want the game before christmas which gives them like 5 months of dev time left and the rest is for production and such, i dont see this game changing dramatically in 5 months of dev time.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly don't know how to feel about this. Don't get me wrong I've been longing for an adventure/open world type of sonic game...

Truthfully, this could have looked like a better game but, I'm looking forward to playing this someday.

mspy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's open world but at the same time looks kinda linear... some people like open world games and some find it a tedious experience when they get stuck or don't know what to do next, this game seems to mix both aspects.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COua5q4CByg