Somewhat of an anime review

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because this is my blog and I am procrastinating studying for midterms, I decided I would write a shitty, quickly done review of Turn A Gundam, which I recently finished.

Summary
I'm going to make this quick; Turn A Gundam follows the story of a young Moon-race boy named Loran Cehack, who comes to Earth so he can see if the Earth is a good place to live. He almost drowns taking a bath in the river, but he is saved by Kihel and Sochie Heim, daughters of a successful mine owner. Around 2 years pass (I don't actually know for a fact) and Sochie has reached adulthood, so the Coming of Age ceremony begins. During the ceremony, Nocis city (the town they live in) is attacked by moon race forces. Loran finds the White Doll (Turn A Gundam) and it attempts to fight back the invaders.

That's basically it for the first part of the show, and I don't feel like delving in much deeper.

My Thoughts
This show has been regarded as probably the best Gundam series, mainly because of the excellent plot and character development, partly because of the exotic mech designs by Syd Mead (did designs for Blade Runner). If you're used to the standard Gundam designs, this might be a bit dry at first, however the designs tend to grow on you, so you get used to it halfway in or so. Anyways, the story was excellent, and the character development was excellent. It was like you actually saw the characters grow up in front of your own eyes. I thought the mechas were really good, except I didn't like the WaDoms. Oh, and Zakus (called Borjanons) appear in Turn A as well, which I liked (Zakus are my favorite mobile suits).

Conclusion
This anime is definitely worth watching. If you're interested, you can grab a torrent of it (subbed by Hero Legends which I am seeding) from mininova or such. Anyways, if you have the time to watch a 50 episode anime series, this is definitely for you. This anime definitely comes in my Top 10 list of anime.

9.5/10

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
hmm i thought gundam 00 was regarded as the best gundam series. how old is this anime?
I heard Gundam 00 was good, but it's not the best. I've never seen it myself, however I do know that a lot of people liked the first season.

It first aired in 1999, ended in 2000. Almost 10 years old.

If I weren't using this as an excuse to stop studying and was actually serious, I would provide images and whatnot.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Shakraka said:
If I weren't using this as an excuse to stop studying and was actually serious, I would provide images and whatnot.
hah s'ok. i'm already torrenting it
wink.gif

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
Seen it and it's ok but the suits weren't so admirable. The story was excellent and loved the setting.
From the mixed reviews about the mobile suits, I would say that you would need to acquire a taste for this design. Personally, I liked it a lot as I thought it was refreshing watching newly designed suits from the standard Gundam design.

Also, da_head, I will give a fair warning, the first 20 or so episodes were a bit dry, in my opinion, but it got better somewhere before the midway point.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never seen any Gundam... Robot animes didn't really interest me until Code Geass (even in CG I was more attracted by the political overtone) but I can see why people like them. What should I start with? Or does it not matter because each one is a separate story?

Also, I would prefer Code Geass "slightly more realistic" battles than like Gurren Lagann PIERCE THE HEAVENS style ones.

Shakraka

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
I've never seen any Gundam... Robot animes didn't really interest me until Code Geass (even in CG I was more attracted by the political overtone) but I can see why people like them. What should I start with? Or does it not matter because each one is a separate story?

Also, I would prefer Code Geass "slightly more realistic" battles than like Gurren Lagann PIERCE THE HEAVENS style ones.
Well, if you want realistic, you could try The 08th MS Team. My favorite UC OVA that's also one of the most realistic Gundam series out there.

And if you really enjoy that, you can try out other Universal Century series, such as Mobile Suit Gundam (first Gundam series; also commonly referred to as 0079), Zeta Gundam (one of my favorites; is out in Blu-Ray 720p), Double Zeta (commonly referred to as Gundam ZZ; not as good as Zeta) Char's Counterattack (watch this movie only if you have seen Mobile Suit Gundam), Gundam 0080 War in the Pocket (6 episode OVA) and Gundam F91 (full length movie).

Please note that these may not be as realistic, however they're not done in super robot style. Speaking of which, Gundam has it's own super robot series, G Gundam.

And seeing how I have about every other good Gundam worth mentioning, After War Gundam X is like Gundam Wing done right.

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
ohmy.gif
sounds interesting, i'll give this one a look

been following gundam00 pretty closely. season one was amazing. builds up nicely and half way through there are a lotta wtf moments. loved how they finisehd S1.

i really hope S2 will be able to live up to the hype.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@linkiboy: if u want a realistic mecha anime, i suggest u check out full metal panic (there's 3 season in total). except for a few moments, the whole concept its pretty realistic. basically, the main character is in this mercenary team (but they're good guys), and they go around the world resolving military conflicts. (pretty much like gundam 00 now that i think about it). and he gets assigned to protect this particular girl, and gets attached to her. and yea there's alot of humor in it too (esp the second season, which is all filler)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER