Some see Twin Towers blast in architect's design

smile72

NewsBot
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A Dutch architectural firm says its design for a South Korean housing complex is simply meant to convey the feeling of being in the clouds, but others see something they'd rather not remember: the collapse of the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2011.

"A real media storm has started and we receive threatening emails and calls of angry people calling us Al Qaeda lovers or worse," the firm, MVRDV, posted on its Facebook page on Friday after a Dutch newspaper, the Algemeen Dagblad, published a front-page architectural rendition of the project and the headline: "Inspired by Twin Towers?"

"MVRDV regrets deeply any connotations The Cloud project evokes regarding 9/11, it was not our intention," MVRDV added. "The Cloud was designed based on parameters such as sunlight, outside spaces, living quality for inhabitants and the city. It is one of many projects in which MVRDV experiments with a raised city level to reinvent the often solitary typology of the skyscraper.

The cloud structure is used to connect the two towers with corridors that also serve as meeting places. The complex is set to open in Seoul in 2015.

The towers are part of a bigger project, called the Yongsan Dream Hub, whose designer is Daniel Libeskind -- the master plan architect for reconstruction at New York's Ground Zero.

"It was not our intention to create an image resembling the attacks nor did we see the resemblance during the design process," the firm stated. "We sincerely apologize to anyone whose feelings we have hurt, the design was not meant to provoke this."

The firm said a better visualization of the project is an image, seen here at left, showing a more abstract feel.

A retired New York Fire Department deputy chief whose son was killed on 9/11 said he didn’t believe the architects.

"I think it’s a total lie and they have no respect for the people who died that day," Jim Riches told the New York Daily News. "They’re crossing a line.
111209_cloudtowersabove.380;380;7;70.jpg
MVRDV

[/right]

MVRDV on Wednesday posted this view of The Cloud project on its Facebook page.

"I think they’re trying to sensationalize it. It’s a cheap way to get publicity."

On MVRDV's Facebook page, some people rallied to its defense.

"9/11 was horrible and an atrocity, we all agree," said one person. "However, this does not mean that nobody can build two similar rectangle shaped buildings (I hear those are quite the fad in architecture) anymore."

And MVRDV elaborated on its earlier apology with a post after several dozen comments were made on its Facebook page.

"Dear all, honestly we did not see the connection in 3 months of design process ... We take these feelings quite serious but we never intended to design a project looking like an exploding building, why on earth would we? This is quite shocking in this discussion that people think we might have done this on purpose. No!"

Source:MSNBC

http://worldnews.msn...chitects-design

Sorry, i know this is a little old but I still want to hear what people think about this. So opinions???

I don't really see the connection, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to design a building that looks like a falling tower. So I believe the architect.

111209_cloudsproject.380;380;7;70.jpg

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda see it, but I wouldn't think it if I hadn't been told so... People are just so paranoid these days.

It's a cool design.

Reactions: 1 person

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
On the one hand, the accusation that some guy was part of a project involving more money than any of us will ever see just to be a douche is hard to believe.

On the other hand if he wanted the whole "in the clouds" thing then wouldn't it make sense to have more jutting out apartments than at that level?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey look, another stupid "news" story where not a single shit was given.

This isn't news. This isn't even worthy of highschool gossip.
Some people got butthurt over nothing, holy crap.
Stop the presses.

Reactions: 1 person

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Uh, yeah...maybe if you squint your eyes and pretend you're playing Minecraft, it looks sorta like an explosion?

That's kind of a stretch, tbh.

Edit: Not to mention the "explosions" on either tower (the real ones) weren't even on the same level....it isn't even physically accurate...

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did everyone miss this? lols

A Dutch architectural firm says its design for a South Korean housing complex is simply meant to convey the feeling of being in the clouds, but others see something they'd rather not remember: the collapse of the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2011

While the day did have a number of deaths, a number of heroes also emerged. The slogan is: "Never forget..." so I don't see how this is any more offensive then the same people who post never forget 9/11 every year.

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
People see what they want to see.
They say this is cheap sensationalism?
Hey, what about all the people making a big deal out of nothing?
It isn't always about America.
No offense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1