Hacking Some questions about RGH'ing

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So i'm thinking of MAYBE doing a RGH, yes i know i posted a thread earlier about flashing my Disc Drive, but i'm not doing that. I don't really care about Xbox Live, since i mostly play offline, but i have a few questions:

1. What's the difference between RGH or Jtag? Is it the same?
2. Do you need to be on a specific firmware in order to RGH?
3. When you are RGH'd, can you then play XBL Indie games and use emulators stuff like that?
4. Is there a good tutorial about RGH'ing on this forum?

Thank's in advance!

sudeki300

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
1. they are different installs but they do the same thing in the end, depends which RGH you go for the boot times may be a few seconds (booting console to dashboard)
2.it's the kernel version that is important with this mod, not firmware version with other consoles / handhelds, depends if you have slim or phat console. not really up to date with which version can be done as my two 360's were done a while ago.
3. XBOX LIVE will be a no no, but all XBL games, dlc and emulators can be used.
4. there a loads of great tuts on the net of JTAG / RGH installs, there is the one by dinoscene on this forum, but you might need a more in depth tutorial if you have had no experience with this level of modding.

i hope this has helped you...........................sudeki300

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Be aware that if you're going to mod a Corona, you're going to have BIG headaches in making it work, especially if it's your first RGH.

RGH is not for the faint-hearted, there's SO MUCH that it can go wrong while doing it... Also some of the solder points are SO small that if you're not an experienced solderer, expect massive damage and a dead 360.

If you have a cheap $15 soldering iron, stay the hell away from doing an RGH. You need good tools. Fine tips and a temperature regulated iron, also good solder with flux in it.

RGH is really finicky when it comes to solderings and wire lenghts, you also need to use good wires. I've done some RGHs just with Kynar wire, but I dunno if mine was sheer luck or whatever, but a lot of people suggest against using Kynar.

And most important thing of all, don't SKIMP on the chip. Cheap $10 RGH clones will boot in something like 10 minutes, and you don't want to wait 10 minutes everytime you boot your 360 just to cut on $15 more.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
First off, you'll need a proper glitchchip (CR3 Pro or R-JTAG chip from Xecuter)
Then a NAND-X/JRunner would be quite handy.

If you're looking for a cheapo reliable install, then I could do it for you (providing you pay for shipping + the chip)

If you want to do it yourself, you'll face quite a pricetag.

raulpica
I started using Kynar wire for the PLL_Bypass and CPU_RST and I had a better success with installs then the supplied wires ;p

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Me too, go tell it to the guys inhabiting the TX forum :P

Fanboys.
They'll continue to be stubborn ;p

Well, I'm no TX fanboy tho but I have to say that I prefer their hardware above everything else.
Their PR is shit but their products are a piece of quality!

Boy12
No prob chap ;]

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh and btw, i forgot to mention, it's a Xbox 360 Phat (made in around 2008-2009)
I thought it may be helpfull if i posted this.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You'll need an R-JTAG chip then (providing it's on 15574 or later)

In terms of soldering, it's a more tricky job to pull off (more wires and QSB's)

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You'll need an R-JTAG chip then (providing it's on 15574 or later)

In terms of soldering, it's a more tricky job to pull off (more wires and QSB's)

Hmm... I will think about RGH then, maybe i'll let someone else do it, luckily for me, i have a friend who is very good at soldering, so maybe i can ask him some help. And another question: is a Jtag easier to do than a RGH? Or is it the same?

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
JTAG is patched since 7371, so it's a no no for 99% of the cases.
RGH can only be achieved on dashes up until 15574.
Dashes after that need an R-JTAG.

In terms of ease.
Jtag comes first with just a couple of wires and diodes.
RGH comes in second with a chip and a few wires.
R-JTAG comes in third with a chip, a few QSB's and a bunch of wires.

All 3 achieve the very same thing and that's executing arbitrary code ;]
IE. all 3 can launch Freestyle Dash and execute games from the internal HDD.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm... I will think about RGH then, maybe i'll let someone else do it, luckily for me, i have a friend who is very good at soldering, so maybe i can ask him some help. And another question: is a Jtag easier to do than a RGH? Or is it the same?
The thing I hated the most while dealing with the R-JTAG was the QSBs. I prefer wires install.

Anyway, if you have a Zephyr motherboard in your X360 you better forget about RGH/JTAG at all. Those son of a <bleep> won't glitch for love or money.

Reactions: Boy12

Boy12

NOT a new member!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The thing I hated the most while dealing with the R-JTAG was the QSBs. I prefer wires install.

Anyway, if you have a Zephyr motherboard in your X360 you better forget about RGH/JTAG at all. Those son of a <bleep> won't glitch for love or money.

Thank's for the tip!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Mondooooo, sadly I dont have any tips