Some Dr.Seuss books taken down

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
Some Dr.Seuss books were taken down by the publisher due to racist pictures. eBay listings were also banned
Some of the books include
"If I ran the Zoo"
"The Cat's Quizzer" (I own this one)
“McElligot’s Pool
“Scrambled Eggs Super!”
“On Beyond Zebra!”
"And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street"
If you own one of these keep it, because they'll end up like a 1999 Charizard Pokemon card

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Do we have examples of the pictures and possibly attempts at an explanation?

Alas "prove it" has to be my response to cries of racism these days as it seems to be thrown around endlessly and without merit an awful lot of the time.

the cats quizzer is this
BOdrzT5.png

if i ran a zoo
eMYxjFG.png

fybstxB.png

Last edited by izy,

Shenrai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am just kind of getting tired of anything anyone finds remotely offensive gets removed. I mean if you find these books offensive just don't read them or buy them for your children? Its as easy as that. I sincerely doubt any children reading these books growing up, like me, thought anything analogous to society in any way, shape or form.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wish they did a few things differently. They could have released the books with a memo explaining that the images were a product of their time and that they don’t endorse them. Or quietly stop publishing the books and literally don’t bring attention to the fact that they stopped publishing them. They could have also done both and brought the awareness they wanted and quietly stopped publishing the books.

Shenrai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they did a few things differently. They could have released the books with a memo explaining that the images were a product of their time and that they don’t endorse them. Or quietly stop publishing the books and literally don’t bring attention to the fact that they stopped publishing them. They could have also done both and brought the awareness they wanted and quietly stopped publishing the books.

This is pretty good. While I don't agree with an outright end to publishing the books, a memo would have served as a cautionary warning that would provide awareness.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is pretty good. While I don't agree with an outright end to publishing the books, a memo would have served as a cautionary warning that would provide awareness.
I don't agree with stopping production either but if they were deadset on stopping production, it would have been wiser to not bring attention to stopping production, which is where my third option seems to fit better. They could both get the awareness they were looking to get and stop production without causing much of a scene. They could have even quietly phased out production by slowly decreasing the amount they sent out over time. It's not that I want them to stop producing these books but more or less suggesting alternatives that they would get less guff from doing.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You agree with their determinations here? That such images/stories should not be (re)published or otherwise warrant an explanation? Even if I think doing the "must be super sensitive to all" thing is stupid I still reckon I grasp the workflow for it, and with that I completely fail to see the problem with "scrambled eggs super" (middle eastern guy fetching an egg). More generally if I am to use a more common standard of "should not denigrate those of other races/ethnicities/cultures" then... yeah not seeing it.

About as close as I could get is spazz (though maybe with one z) tends to be considered a rather offensive term in the UK ( https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nintendo-withdraws-game-that-taunts-spastics-g98bklwb5rz )... I would say like retard is in the US but even that is not widely accepted as offensive yet and levels wise not even close.

If I squint then maybe the long necked creature's pole bearers (themselves clearly not human, like most things in such books) might almost look similar to some of the those African tribal sendups but that probably says more about the viewer than anything else.

Better do a song now I am on the subject

Deleted member 546149

OP
Trophies
XP
Do we have examples of the pictures and possibly attempts at an explanation?

Alas "prove it" has to be my response to cries of racism these days as it seems to be thrown around endlessly and without merit an awful lot of the time.
The publisher sadly hasn't revealed what was racist

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the cats quizzer is this
BOdrzT5.png

if i ran a zoo
eMYxjFG.png

fybstxB.png
Oh god

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You agree with their determinations here? That such images/stories should not be (re)published or otherwise warrant an explanation? Even if I think doing the "must be super sensitive to all" thing is stupid I still reckon I grasp the workflow for it, and with that I completely fail to see the problem with "scrambled eggs super" (middle eastern guy fetching an egg). More generally if I am to use a more common standard of "should not denigrate those of other races/ethnicities/cultures" then... yeah not seeing it.

About as close as I could get is spazz (though maybe with one z) tends to be considered a rather offensive term in the UK ( https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/nintendo-withdraws-game-that-taunts-spastics-g98bklwb5rz )... I would say like retard is in the US but even that is not widely accepted as offensive yet and levels wise not even close.

If I squint then maybe the long necked creature's pole bearers (themselves clearly not human, like most things in such books) might almost look similar to some of the those African tribal sendups but that probably says more about the viewer than anything else.

Better do a song now I am on the subject

I don't feel like my suggestions were that problematic and I even said that I didn't agree with them stopping production. What I explained are possible ways they could have gone about doing this that would have either been seen better by most or possibly avoided the most controversy. My suggestions do not mean endorsement.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The only CoD game I played that I truly enjoyed was Black Ops 1, and only the single player...