1. Seliph

Seliph Best Girl

United States
    If I must say so he actually named the Cat in the Hat's real name after after Lovecraft's cat, citing Lovecraft as a "profound influence on his life and works". Of course you won't find this information online but I swear I didn't make it up.

I found The Lorax to be very Lovecraftian to be honest

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    Source(s):dude trust me

Seliph likes this.
  3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Once more you seem kind of upset, and better upset at me despite us aligning in so many ways on what we would like to see in the world. Still amusing as ever. I will similarly reaffirm my opinions that white privilege is a historical concept at best and today if any exists it is so minor as to be lost in the noise, thus a useless world view or tool of analysis. You might also be guilty of projection or assuming I speak of certain parties, groups and mindsets when I fact do not.

Sometimes there are bigotries and idiocies that could well need calling out. Many times there are not. In recent times much of what I would see as harmless has been taken out (and that is before getting into the utterly nuts territory of "cultural appropriation"), deemed harmful and otherwise forced to adjust to a lens (which I don't necessarily agree with or see the merits in) of the day. If it is the latter then witch hunts seems a fitting term. There is a difference, I would view this as a witch hunt.
    I dislike censorship, I dislike revisionism, I dislike history being lost. This even if I thought there was some harms involved.

Stereotypes. Maybe. If indeed those earlier pictures are the offending articles I not seeing the harm, or even them rising to the level of "harmful stereotype" like that stuff with the Persona game the other month or the real fun historical ones like the black brute. Not seeing them espousing a world view where those dirty non purple eyed people are inferior.
    Racist. That is a harder call still from where I sit.

As far as the person. Don't give a shit in this instance. I am still on the works in question.

Similarly publishers and historical preservation groups are perpetually in need of money. If they did not deem it a necessary step then they would not have paid a consultancy firm. Jumping at shadows maybe (though you seem to think it had merit, though whether that is your own post hoc rationalisation we might debate a different day) but enough that I note it here and enough that I consider it a negative force upon the world.

ChaosEternal and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  4. BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM Emo Shadow

United States
    man 2021 is crazy who even cares about Dr. Seuss anymore XD I read his books when I was 5

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Maybe it's time people stop reading too far into these things and grow a fucking pair for once. You know, instead of going full Fahrenheit 451 on books?

UltraSUPRA and Silent_Gunner like this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Much the same applies to censorship. Be it from religious weirdos wanting things not ordained in their particular translation and interpretation of a given religious book, those that think a depiction of a fictional violent act will in turn make people violent, those weirdos that think having a past be accessible means the future will be tainted and whatever other reasons people have for wanting to burn books or stop the spread of information. Let it start happening and it tends not to stop, and when someone does bring out Mr Rifle to end it, or maybe just tech advances such that it is basically impossible to stop*, all you don't know what will have been lost (be it historical items or works never made/distributed) in the meantime. You also have the problem of "well you have already established a precedent that moral panics are justifiable reasons for censorship" and then the opposite political party with opposite views gets in and suddenly all you hold dear is called into question.

*the invention/introduction of the printing press back when vs the church, more recently the ability to self publish all sorts of things but not necessarily on the internet (typesetting on a press is difficult, typesetting on an electronic typewriter from the early 90s will have you begging me for even a copy of notepad on the PC but still 10000x easier than grabbing letters/words out of a case and lining it all up before messing around with ink), the breakup of cinema monopolies (see block booking) in turn more or less ending Hays code as independents could do what they like, cable/satellite TV being optional and thus not restricted by the FTC as hard and yielding the boom there, and obviously now the internet for the last few decades all being things responsible for big upsets against censorship and usually more tech based than societal shifts or shooting their way out.

So yeah we could have a debate as to the relative merits of Dr Seuss, could be interesting as his philosophy of "use a core set of words and go from there" was a fairly radical and ultimately successful step in the history of such books. Even without that though there are those that will oppose censorship on principle -- "I may not care for what you have to say, I will however defend your right to say it to the death" and all that. Whether they stick to the general principle or pick apart the specific reasoning of the instance in question might vary between people (both approaches have merit) but hey.

7. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    I mean, it's not like there's a huge dr.suess fan base that's gonna stick up for me if something I like gets removed

BlazeMasterBM likes this.
  8. Scott_pilgrim

Scott_pilgrim Unfunny

United States
    shitposting aside, I think instead of removing these they could've taken the dc approach of putting a disclaimer that says something like "hey, these aren't ok now and weren't ok then"

9. Valwinz

Valwinz GBAtemp Fan

Puerto Rico
    Biden America where books get burn

10. BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM Emo Shadow

United States
    yeah its better to educate people about history rather than pretending it didn't happen

11. Louse

Louse go play rez

United States
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

You are the 1 MILLIONTH person who unironically quoted anti-establishment material to support the establishment!

Your prize: a free copy of 1984 to misinterpret!

12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    LOL this sort of stuff has been happening for years long before biden! the snowflakes are taking ova

13. Louse

Louse go play rez

United States
    good

14. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Or perhaps over the last 70~ years that anti-establishment became the establishment. If we turned away from "book-burning" in the past and are now turning towards it again, will it only be appropriate to quote that once it has become official policy? Here's a quote from Bradbury himself, assuming you're referring to Fahrenheit 451:
    I see no reason why that warning is invalid simple because book banning is not official government policy at the moment. I don't personally think that we're at risk of returning to the days of the Red Scare, but I cannot agree that Fahrenheit 451 can only be referenced when you're referring to circumstances identical to the historical events which prompted its writing.

Last edited by ChaosEternal, Mar 18, 2021
  15. BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM Emo Shadow

United States
    But for real, did anybody even care about these books before this happened? I've got too many things going on in my life to be worried about some old kiddies books being taken out of print

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Seuss, books, taken