ROM Hack Soma Bringer Open Translation

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Darth, you are changing 7th Company Falzaff to 7th Division Pharzuph, correct? (I got this from the edits you just did in Act 2...)

Falzaff -> Pharzuph
Company -> Division

I just want confirmation so that I can start changing it in Act 1.

Also, what is your opinion on Secundadei as a name? According to thedicemaster (thanks), it does mean something it Latin. Since the name doesn't have a proper English interpretation, we may as well use a meaningful interpretation of the kana (which reads "SEKUNDADEI", as you stated earlier). If "dei" is changed to "dy" or "di", most people won't be able to figure out that it stands for "God".

EDIT: Do you want the character decriptions to be more like this... (Please ignore the lack of proper line breaks in the examples.)
EDIT 2: The character limit seems to be lower in the character descriptions... 21 characters per line, I estimate. Is this correct?
QUOTE said:
7th Company novice.
A native of the frontier.
Lacks combat experience.
Has a strong sense of justice.
Highly sensitive to Soma.
OR like this...
QUOTE7th Company novice.
A native of the frontier.
Although he lacks combat experience,
he has a strong sense of justice and
is highly sensitive to Soma.

I'll use the second format until I get a response. It's much more dynamic and flowing.

EDIT 3: "?????????????????????????????" was translated as "Very insecure nature, has a bright destiny surrounding her." An online translator interpreted it as "It behaves brightly and courageously though it is held that destining is uneasy that surrounds oneself." I'm not sure which is right, but it seems that the statement would be "Acts bravely and even though she is unsure of her destiny."

EDIT 4: A lot of these descriptions seem to be off. I'll rework them to the best of my abilities, but I really think you should go over these.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
benhanks040888 said:
Darth, do you have any plan on making the same tools as SomaTrans for other games like Tales of Innocence?I never thought about it. Why, are they needed?

Mac2492 said:
Darth, you are changing 7th Company Falzaff to 7th Division Pharzuph, correct? (I got this from the edits you just did in Act 2...)Yup. That seemed to be the consensus around the net, though it could just be that everyone copied off of a single source.

Mac2492 said:
the kana (which reads "SEKUNDADEI", as you stated earlier)No, the kana reads "SEKUNDADI".
?? = DEI
?? = DI
As such, I'm not comfortable changing the pronunciation. Now, as for whether Secundadi or Secundady looks better, I could go either way.

QUOTE(Mac2492 @ May 21 2008, 11:46 AM) EDIT: Do you want the character decriptions to be more like this...
EDIT 2: The character limit seems to be lower in the character descriptions... 21 characters per line, I estimate. Is this correct?
I like the latter style better, if it'll fit. As for the length, the characters are variable-width, so you'd just have to see what it looks like in-game.

QUOTE(Mac2492 @ May 21 2008, 11:46 AM)
EDIT 4: A lot of these descriptions seem to be off. I'll rework them to the best of my abilities, but I really think you should go over these.
Yeah, I may have to do that. I've just been too busy focusing on the script to pay much attention to the other stuff.

wilddenim

Candy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What's the % of the game is translated? Just being curious here. That's lots of hard work you are doing, I'd help you out if I know Japanese.
frown.gif

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilddenim said:
What's the % of the game is translated? Just being curious here. That's lots of hard work you are doing, I'd help you out if I know Japanese.
frown.gif
Refer to the main page of the wiki - it's currently right around 50% in terms of the number of strings translated. That's not necessarily indicative of how much time the rest will take, though, since all the easy short ones are done and the script lines take more time.

benhanks040888

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
DarthNemesis said:
I never thought about it. Why, are they needed?

Yes, very needed. Since Tales of Innocence will 100% never be translated. So I think if it has program like SomaTrans... I think there are no other Japanese RPGs worth translating for other than Soma and Innocence, and maybe Xenosaga I+II (I never tried it)

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
benhanks040888 said:
Yes, very needed. Since Tales of Innocence will 100% never be translated. So I think if it has program like SomaTrans... I think there are no other Japanese RPGs worth translating for other than Soma and Innocence, and maybe Xenosaga I+II (I never tried it)

You never finished the sentence. What do you think will happen if someone makes a program like SomaTrans for Tales of Innocence?

P.S. Wow, Darth! You're really moving this project along quickly. Awesome!

benhanks040888

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Mac2492 said:
You never finished the sentence. What do you think will happen if someone makes a program like SomaTrans for Tales of Innocence?

I think.....it will be fantastic for us non-Japanese gamers
yaynds.gif

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Added a bunch more Act 2 cutscenes, and started fixing the sidequest log.

Also, I changed Fort Graveh to Grave Fortress. It's still pronounced 'graw-vay', but this is the correct spelling for the musical term.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you guys are looking for proof-readers (Looked through and found typos) I wouldn't mind proofreading scripts and giving it back corrected (English-English, I'm too lazy to translate Japanese->English)

If not interested, heh.
I'll check back here for a response.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pyrofyr said:
If you guys are looking for proof-readers (Looked through and found typos) I wouldn't mind proofreading scripts and giving it back corrected (English-English, I'm too lazy to translate Japanese->English)
As I mentioned in the OP, edits are welcome in the wiki.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-Heads off to check it out-
I have about an hour to spare, I'll start now and do more later.

Maybe I should be playing through it and reading it though, seeing as well, gah, I don't want to ruin the storyline for myself.

I'll make notes and fix the wiki when I notice some grammar/spelling issues.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finished the Quest Log entries.

Pyrofyr said:
Maybe I should be playing through it and reading it though, seeing as well, gah, I don't want to ruin the storyline for myself.
Well, you can at least get halfway through Act 2 in English, though not all of the NPC text has been translated. Also, you can start with the tutorials, since there aren't any spoilers and I haven't gone over those translations.

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, that works, once I get back from orientation (Gets out at 6, leaving soon) I might check those out, if not tomorrow.

I was starting to look through Act 0, and it seems like all of it is perfectly in order really, so I'm guessing whoever went over the Act's sure as hell knows their grammar.

As for the Tutorial, I had looked at 0 and 1, and they were kinda 'meh'.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
[CLIENT]
Leste
? Return to Rest.

Is the person's name "Leste" or "Rest"?
rolleyes.gif

Aside from this error and another minor error (Rest -> Gestopft), the sub-quest text was very well-written.

Suggestion: I noticed that there are several different text boxes in the game. They vary in size, so SomaFont cannot be used to accurately check the line breaks for them. It is impractical to keep rebuilding the rom to check minor changes, and even that won't work for text boxes that only appear once. Do you think you could add a simple "text box size" feature into SomaFont? (With options such as "Tutorial Text", "Dialog", etc...) That would make the proofreading process much more efficient. Thanks!

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll be out of town over the weekend, so I won't be able to make any updates.

Mac2492 said:
Is the person's name "Leste" or "Rest"?
rolleyes.gif

Aside from this error and another minor error (Rest -> Gestopft), the sub-quest text was very well-written.Fixed those, thanks.

QUOTE(Mac2492 @ May 22 2008, 06:04 PM) Suggestion: I noticed that there are several different text boxes in the game. They vary in size, so SomaFont cannot be used to accurately check the line breaks for them. It is impractical to keep rebuilding the rom to check minor changes, and even that won't work for text boxes that only appear once. Do you think you could add a simple "text box size" feature into SomaFont? (With options such as "Tutorial Text", "Dialog", etc...) That would make the proofreading process much more efficient. Thanks!
http://www.sendspace.com/file/v97xoy

I've added one selection for the Scenario/Quest Log window. Haven't checked, but that may also be used for things like the Tutorials and Glossary. The little pop-up tutorials (the ones that appear the first time you select a new menu option) don't have a length restriction, so the cutscene dialog box is probably a good enough size guideline for those. Can't think of anything else that shows up enough to warrant its own window size, but let me know if you think of anything.

Mac2492

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis said:
I'll be out of town over the weekend, so I won't be able to make any updates.

Enjoy your vacation. =)

QUOTE(DarthNemesis @ May 23 2008, 11:41 AM) I've added one selection for the Scenario/Quest Log window. Haven't checked, but that may also be used for things like the Tutorials and Glossary. The little pop-up tutorials (the ones that appear the first time you select a new menu option) don't have a length restriction, so the cutscene dialog box is probably a good enough size guideline for those. Can't think of anything else that shows up enough to warrant its own window size, but let me know if you think of anything.

That was amazingly fast. O,o... Thank you!

Quick question: Are the little tutorial boxes narrower than dialog boxes? I can't remember. I just know that the orb tutorial was (and still is, probably) pretty badly misformatted. I'll see if I can make it pop up again, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Dylan

100 MILES AND RUNNIN'
Trophies
Website
www.twitter.com
XP
Country
Can someone pm me with the best way to learn japanese? I realize that it is definitely difficult to learn and will take a long time but I need a push in the right direction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: wrong stick la +1