Hardware soldering tips

mijuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That's a bit high but it should work fine, you'll just get slow speeds on your card reader

What ohm reading do you get if you have a bridged connection?

Cant get a reading just know it gets one cant keep it connected long enough and its only a cheap one jumps about and shit.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What ohm reading do you get if you have a bridged connection?

Cant get a reading just know it gets one cant keep it connected long enough and its only a cheap one jumps about and shit.
Oh I thought you meant a one ohm reading lol just as long as you have a reading you're good in this case

mijuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh I thought you meant a one ohm reading lol just as long as you have a reading you're good in this case

in the following video, i wish he didn't bloody speed it up would have more helpful.

if you skip to 7 minutes. it looks like he applies tinning flux to the pads and tins the wire and then just heats up the pad and sticks it that way really quickly. Though is that what hes doing i cant see him pre tinning any pads. Looks like hes using chunky wires as well.

I've worked out now well with your past help as well how the ohm crap works. One of the connections came off last night as it sucked. The two that are on there solidly. Im getting an ohm reading of 9.20 on one and 8.80 on the other. Also getting a ohm reading on pads that have nothing on them around 9.20. I imagine if you have a bridged connection of some some sort you wont get a reading?

To test the pad i grounded the positive and then just put the neg on a pad that had nothing on it, i think thats right. So it would seem the pads are good.

The 30 awg cable looks really bloody tine single strand can barely see it not looking forward to it at all.

Last edited by mijuu,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in the following video, i wish he didn't bloody speed it up would have more helpful.

if you skip to 7 minutes. it looks like he applies tinning flux to the pads and tins the wire and then just heats up the pad and sticks it that way really quickly. Though is that what hes doing i cant see him pre tinning any pads. Looks like hes using chunky wires as well.

I've worked out now well with your past help as well how the ohm crap works. One of the connections came off last night as it sucked. The two that are on there solidly. Im getting an ohm reading of 9.20 on one and 8.80 on the other. Also getting a ohm reading on pads that have nothing on them around 9.20. I imagine if you have a bridged connection of some some sort you wont get a reading?

To test the pad i grounded the positive and then just put the neg on a pad that had nothing on it, i think thats right. So it would seem the pads are good.

The 30 awg cable looks really bloody tine single strand can barely see it not looking forward to it at all.

Yeah that video is crappy, i saw that forever ago... I really recommend some 40 wire IDE cable for this mod honestly...

As you can see it's good sized but not too big and makes a nice solid connection without much risk of too much leverage from flex

Vnv1EAh.jpg

mijuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah that video is crappy, i saw that forever ago... I really recommend some 40 wire IDE cable for this mod honestly...

As you can see it's good sized but not too big and makes a nice solid connection without much risk of too much leverage from flex

View attachment 27714
nice.

out of interest what ohm reading do you get on any of your points?

Last edited by mijuu,

mijuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well you aren't exactly doing it right... Basically you want from the pad to the end of the wire which will tell you if it's connected properly or not

Thats what i have been doing i mean for testing a pad without anything connected to it. Cant get a stable reading at the end of the wire jumps about to much.

mijuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
https://www.mediafire.com/watch/za6e56acb8b7wlh/VID_20151022_125221.mp4

There's a video I made showing me soldering a pad up close, also it should be the lowest value on the meter
Thats sound man, helpful. Thats a meaty head your using compared to mine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://www.mediafire.com/watch/za6e56acb8b7wlh/VID_20151022_125221.mp4

There's a video I made showing me soldering a pad up close, also it should be the lowest value on the meter
on one of my pads im getting 01.5-01.7 dunno if thats any good. Done a continuity test there are no bridges.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats sound man, helpful. Thats a meaty head your using compared to mine.

on one of my pads im getting 01.5-01.7 dunno if thats any good. Done a continuity test there are no bridges.

Sounds pretty good

mijuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds pretty good

however to get that reading you have keep the needles completely still or it jumps around. How much solder do you apply to your iron before hand? I was worried about putting to much on and making a mess and thats why i went in with a brushed iron beforehand.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
however to get that reading you have keep the needles completely still or it jumps around. How much solder do you apply to your iron before hand? I was worried about putting to much on and making a mess and thats why i went in with a brushed iron beforehand.

I just take that thin solder I use and just feed a small amount in

mijuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I could use two strands of my 80 cable for now for the last one.

Could i shove this in to the sd reader as is without casing it back up?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited by mijuu,

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could use two strands of my 80 cable for now for the last one.

Could i shove this in to the sd reader as is without casing it back up?

You probably could but I wouldn't as the wires are likely to break off

mijuu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry to the SD card one... You can just use one strand of 80 wire on it just fine, but 2 might help with data transfer rate

would you be able to record you removing that solder you did in that previous video, fair enough if you cant be bothered, must be doing your head in by now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol