Hacking Softmod or modchip?

PSxed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently bought a wii again to play some of my backlog games again. I would like to mod it now for emulation purposes and to play some imports. I've been reading quite alot and it seems everyone is softmodding the wii. The answer that i can't really find (or the info is really outdated), is there any benefit using a modchip over softmodding the console?

Soldering is not a problem for me, i've done a load of console modifications and modchip installs in the past. There seem to be quite a few different chips that are available like the DuoWII, D2Ckey, D2lite, WASP, YAOSM.

The things that are important to me is:
- Make it region free for original gamecube games.
- Make it region free for original wii games.
- Homebrew / Emulators.
- Backups (i prefer usb loading, but i'm ok with dvd-r).

I would like to have it as hassle free as possible. If that requires me to install a modchip with 26 wires i'm ok with that.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There's basically zero reason to get a modchip. Everything can be handled by softmod including backup loading.

In fact, you would have to softmod for region free and homebrew. A softmod with either Startpatch (to make your system menu region free) or Gecko OS (separate region free loading app) is the way to go.

I *think* backup loading might be limited to 2x with a softmod (unsure), but USB loading is the way to go anyway.

PSxed

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the clear answer. I will skip the idea of installing a modchip and start collecting some more information about softmodding and all the necessary software. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, probably the scouter