Hacking Softmii 2.9.6 released

ecw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep reading that you need Wanni's 4.0 upgrader to use this. I previously used Noobwarrior's guide when I was on 3.4 so I had the cIOS's installed. I upgraded to 4.0 through Nintendo then applied the "patched" IOS60 wad. All is working fine including SD features of 4.0, backups,HBC, USB loaders,etc. Will I be able to use Softmii or will I brick since I "kind of" updated through Nintendo?

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't believe the comments I've read here. All warnings were in place in the guide. Anyone who bricked their Wii didn't follow directions or heed warnings. Period. I bet half of the bricks are LU64+ owners and don't even know it. The Softmii team is doing a kick butt job and people posting links here should stop it. If you want to try the small fixes before 3.0 because you are not patient, or you need help because you couldn't follow directions, join #softmii and/or #softmii-help on efnet.

Here are a few things to point out if you started using the package and are now stuck or not sure what to do next (some things I will mention come from following the 2.9.5 guide and you shouldn't have had any problem if you followed the 2.9.7 guide)

1) When you start the "Softmii Firmware Downgrader" You're an idiot if you choose to install a firmware for a different region. Therefore, when the program asks to to change the region... PRESS B. If you press A to change it you'll get an error -102 because there is nothing to change

2) If you are going to 4.0 and never did anything that caused IOS60 or cIOS60 to be installed, you'll get an error -1036. You can always install cIOSCORP first (but it's probably safer if you just google where to get a wad for cIOS60), then use firmware downgrader to install 4.0. But you shouldn't start cIOSCORP without first installing preloader.

3)Preloader patches IOS60. cIOSCORP updates IOS60. So after you've installed preloader, YOU WILL GET A BLACK SCREEN (usually with an error message that you may or may not be able to read) All you have to do is Power your Wii directly into preloader (hold reset while turning it on), use it to boot the HBC, and reinstall preloader. You're all fixed after that.

As far as 3.0 I've heard many things in IRC but this is the number 1 thing that has me salivating: 3.0 will come with the Bannerbomb exploit! (or whatever it's called... anyway people with official 4.0 will be able to get homebrew going) I have confirmed that there are now Wiis on the shelf that are boxed with 4.0 on them so this will be just too cool!

ginkster

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ive installed the softmii pack 2.9.5 on my wii twice and both times installed without a problem. The only slight problem i got is occassionally if I boot the hbc from preloader the wii crashes as ive mentioned in another topic. But other than that i love this softmii package.

Keep up the good work guys and dont let these people who cant read instructions properly get you down!

Skarface05

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ok - Please do us a favour tho for now and do not use the current downloads.

And we can not confirm that the bannerbomb exploit will be with the 3.0 pack.

Sorry for people who had any problems.

Servdogg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not trying to cause any more bricked wii's, but I was able to successfully complete setup of softmii 2.9.5. I didn't install cIOSrev 11. But I did the rest of the setup and it worked like a charm. I am on a 3.2U wii and have never upgraded to 4.0.

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but maybe in the future softmii could add a more detailed tutorial that not only provides a guide and apps soft-modding a wii, but also explains in more detail what each step to help facilitate a greater understanding of the modifications. (there could be two seperate guides; a basic install guide for super-noobs and a more detailed guide with explanations). I think this would help people who install softmii, but later run in some type of problem and mess up their wii trying to fix it because they don't really know what is going on. I know it's their own fault that they are too inept or lazy to research their issue for themselves, but if softmii is designed to be the ultimate noob friendly package, this could be better achieved by helping to educate some noobs, rather than simply providing them all with sweet wii mods.

I have a friend who loves guitar hero so I offered to mod his wii, so he could play custom GH3 discs. So I installed softmii 2.1 or whatever with him by my side and showed him how do everything like play emulators, burn isos, install/delete wads, and use preloader. I told him if anything goes wrong to call me and not do anything hasty. Then this dumbass hears about SD loading in Nintendo Power and decides he really needs to update, goes into preloader and takes off "skip disc update" hack, but doesn't bother to consider whether updating will mess up the functionality of his other mods. So he updates through Nintendo, and realizes shortly after that his CGHs no longer work for him. Then in a panic he starts deleting anything he can to fix his wii, homebrew channel included. The next day he calls me and tells me that the mods I made "got corrupted" and asked what could be done. When I looked at his wii, I saw homebrew channel missing and 4.0 installed, and had to tell him the bad news; wait for bannerbomb.

My point is that wii modders who blindly follow instructions, but lack any real understanding of the processes are apt to make mistakes and do stupid shit and then come whining in forums. But many of these problems would never surface, if people came into the mod scene with some basic understanding of things. Most people are just too lazy to read 100 page threads of mostly useless info to figure stuff out.

locoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi Scarface and all of you guys! Maybe this help you guys with the softmii and don't make the same mistaked I did!

I Have a wii 3.4U Lu6433. Is the one is unmodable.

I installed the HBC with the ZELDA HACK, later the IOS16 with the Wad manager 1.3, and then the CIOS FIX. After that with most off the apps in the HBC give me black screen. Staring the same applications with the ZELDA exploit gives me the same black screen.

I then used the LU64fix wad that came in the softmii 2.9.7 and installed with Custom WAD manager.

After that the HBC could open the Wad manager 1.3, and the other apps that gives me the black screen.

After that I installed the IOS36-64-v1042.wad to later on install the CIOS installer, but after the installation of the IOS36-64-v1042.wad, the HBC gives me a black SCREEN, and the ZELDA exploit after loading any .DOL the screen freezes.

I'm stuck now, and the only thing I can think off is to update the wii with the oficial ninteno update to v.4.0U to see if the HBC can be started! I readed a lot of post and forums, and it seems that I'm the only one with this error

I hope this info helps you or helps anyone to NOT repeat the same mistake!

BTW, if someone have any idea or knows any posible solution, just say it
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL