Hacking Soft Modded Wii U questions, DVD drive not working

Tabaqui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I'm seeing someone locally selling a soft modded Wii U that already plays backup games for a rather good price. However, the optical drive is not working in it.

I'll probably have to inquire about in what way it is soft modded, if that's relevant to my questions here.

Questions I'd like to know the answer for:

- Can I still play online with a soft modded Wii U?

- Do I need the optical drive for any functionality regarding soft mods, like updating soft mods or installing them?

- I see replacement DVD drives for Wii U on Aliexpress for below 15 USD. Would that likely solve the issue with the drive, or are Wii Us known to break somewhere else hardware wise that cause the DVD drive to stop functioning?

Many thanks!

D

Deleted User

You need Optic Drive to work unless you want to reboot your Wii U endless of times because it suddenly goes blackscreen with "There was an problem with disc drive" /something like that/.
You can buy replacement optical drive for cheap, so i suggest grabbing this one.
You need specific optical drive for each Wii U as far as i know.

If it's "soft-modded" with Loadiine, then it isn't a softmod. Really, trust me.
-You need up-to-date DNS to play online
-No, you can play out-of-region games with optical disc [With RegionHax] but again, Wii U will not boot if it detects that it's malfunctioning.

Reactions: Tabaqui

Tabaqui

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
You need Optic Drive to work unless you want to reboot your Wii U endless of times because it suddenly goes blackscreen with "There was an problem with disc drive" /something like that/.
You can buy replacement optical drive for cheap, so i suggest grabbing this one.
You need specific optical drive for each Wii U as far as i know.

If it's "soft-modded" with Loadiine, then it isn't a softmod. Really, trust me.
-You need up-to-date DNS to play online
-No, you can play out-of-region games with optical disc [With RegionHax] but again, Wii U will not boot if it detects that it's malfunctioning.

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately the seller pulled the listing without a word after promising me photos and stopped speaking to me completely after the initial exchange.
I hate it when people do that. At least have the courtesy to reply to me if it's no longer for sale when I know they've seen my messages. But I digress.

I'll be on the lookout for another unit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it