Hacking so what's the definite speed of usb loader?

dlxowhd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i saw some people arguing on another site that usb loader's speed is either 12X or 24X.
gamma loader is 3X, and retail disc is 6X, but what is the exact speed of usb loader?
is it really 24X?

dlxowhd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought it depends on usb 2 speed? because hard drives are supposed to be faster than usb?
so for a 5400 rpm drives, what's the definite speed? 24X?

gadgeteduk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
usb 2.0 speed is 480mb/s which is 20x about. speed of harddrive does not matter unless it is a very old drive which is slower than 480mb/s

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
flatmii is a modchip and makes the wii think the backup is an original, so of course they have the same speed

And I don't think the drive can go any faster than 6x
it has no use anyways (for nintendo)

Cypherdias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The FlatMii isn't a normal Modchip. It doesn't reside inside the drive and doesn't use the drive to load backups (it uses an USB connection to a PC).

But it ist wired between drive and Wii Mainboard, so maybe the cable and/or electronics on Wii mainboard side limit it to 6x-Speed.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
FlatMii isn't a modchip, it tricks the Wii to think that FlatMii is the drive, so there might be a speed limitation, but it's not a must. And the usb loader clearly loads faster than original discs, but i can't tell how fast it is and it depends on your enclosure and HDD combination. But i think there's maybe a little room for improvement with a better buffered reading strategy.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ah yes
I was confusing with the wiikey
rolleyes.gif

But if flatmii makes the wii accept it as its drive (instead of an usb), it must be the wii software that limits it to 6x, not?

I was thinking too, is it enough to have new software to get usb2.0 speed on a usb1.1 port?
Or does the wii have usb2.0 ports? or are they the same?

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
Ah yes
rolleyes.gif

But if flatmii makes the wii accept it as its drive (instead of an usb), it must be the wii software that limits it to 6x, not?

I was thinking too, is it enough to have new software to get usb2.0 speed on a usb1.1 port?

Nintendo originally intended the ports for USB 1.1 (microphones and RB instruments), but the new cIOS enables USB2.0. (If I'm correct).

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
SFenton said:
tj_cool said:
Ah yes
rolleyes.gif

Nintendo originally intended the ports for USB 1.1 (microphones and RB instruments), but the new cIOS enables USB2.0. (If I'm correct).

cios rev 9 does

Cypherdias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AFAIK the cIOS doesn't allow full USB2.0 Speed, but it's way faster than USB1.1. As the ports are intended for USB 1.1 devices, I think it's the USB controller hardware which limits here.

But maybe they ARE USB2.0 ports, but are limited by the original software. I don't know that for sure.

testic-cancer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
gadgeteduk said:
usb 2.0 speed is 480mb/s which is 20x about. speed of harddrive does not matter unless it is a very old drive which is slower than 480mb/s
USB2.0 is 480mbit / 60mbyte a sec as you say - which is around 44x (60000/1352 (1x is 1,352.54KB/sec)).

That is USB max/burst speed, not the ISO loader which is clearly slower (but still faster than original).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: