Hacking Discussion So uh...i got banned but i dont know how ?

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna wait another 4 days to give a status report to the ban thread only having the sx pro for 3 days isn't enough time. but so far I'm fine.
Offline with sx pro no backup updates, not messing with logs and launching legit carts in ofw online playing fortnite right now.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You’ve just been lucky, it’s only a matter of time
That depends if he ever used it online. It's either that or clearing logs is what ppl are getting banned from the most. I don't think its random it seems that way b/c ppl leave out vital info on what really caused the ban
Lucky for us the OP stated the cause without even realising it.

Rel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are worried about getting banned buy another Switch today from ebay, today is the cheapest prices you will find for a while.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To each their own, but I would rather have homebrew and get banned for it than not have homebrew at all. Homebrew has breathed new life into my Switch. I have a 5 year old son that plays on my Switch at work, and since "Daddy's saves have all the good stuff unlocked" he's constantly messing with my saves. For instance, in Super Mario Odyssey he spends all my coins on power moons that I don't need, so I can't save them towards expensive costumes like the skeleton. In Pokemon Quest, he keeps spending all my PM tickets on recharging the "battery", so I can't save up and buy the decorations in the shop.

And stupidly enough, the only thing I can do to stop him from doing that is taking the Switch away entirely. There's no way of protecting my profile with a pin code or password (which any other modern console will allow you to do...), and of course if I take the Switch away then I'm the bad guy...

But thanks to Checkpoint (and I guess any other save backup / editor tool), problem solved! I just backup my saves when I'm done playing, and hand the Switch over to my son. He can do whatever he wants to my saves, and I just restore them back when I'm ready to play. Now he's happy because he gets to spend all my in-game currency without me getting aggravated with him, and I'm happy too.

Without homebrew, my only alternatives would be to ban my son from my Switch (which would put me in hot water with the wife, so I'd end up being banned from it too...) or buy a second Switch just for him to use (an extra expense that also would not go over well with the wife...) Homebrew has made my Switch fun again, at least for me. And the emulators are great too.

I have no real interest in piracy, but I sure would love a safe backup loading method that I could use online with my own personal backups. Just so that I can store all my cartridges safely, and let my son have access to my full library of Switch games without worrying about him losing them. And yes, I know I could have bought them from the eShop instead, but I prefer physical cartridges because 10-20 years down the road if for whatever reason I need to factory reset my Switch, the online play and eShop may no longer exist. By that time I'm sure we'll have a better backup loading solution though.

I doubt there are many here that can not see the utility of a modded device; as you no doubt have surmised it is kind of what we do around here. However we have known from day 0 that Nintendo are playing for keeps this time, and even a cursory look at the methods employed will scream that stealth is not a great concern. As such any mods you do at this point in time are as good as saying "any online I get is a bonus", no ifs, no ands, no buts. Chances are they always will be but they will at least be better at it in the future. There are no doubt actions that are about as subtle to Nintendo's ban team as setting off a fireworks display, and there are things which may attract less suspicion or are obvious to do if you are at all versed in computer security. The fact remains though it is all early stage hacks and the only people can claim to know the extent of the checks are Nintendo's security team (and possibly not even then if they compartmentalise things in some manner), super master hackers (and those with an eye on the switch are a bit thin on the ground, and what few there may be have different concerns than a proper analysis of the firmware as a whole) or fools.

blahblah

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You did so much. Cleared logs (which is detectable) played homebrew (which is detectable under certain scenarios) and - most importantly - YOU USED LAYEREDFS. Which is _always_ detectable.

ICEM4N

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.theninjabunny.com
XP
Country
Austria
From what everyone says its clear nobody knows what's getting people banned,
but it has been made obvious clearing logs is risky on the latest FW.
If I had to guess people are either using shared unique IDs for games,
clearing logs from before staying offline, maybe the Nintendo ninjas are trying to scare us?
or Nintendo is receiving a lot more info from our switches than we think.

My best advice to avoid a ban from reading what everyone has said is one of two options:
  • Backup NAND and restore before going online (turning off airplane mode).
  • Never go online again most of us don't have reason to go online anyways.
No guarantee but those are the best ways to avoid it happening IMO.
Be careful to not restore twice the same nand backup, it will "restore" your logs too. If you used your ofw... you need to make a new backup :(

T-Error

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would also guess that clearing the logs gets some people banned. Im still not banned and I just disabled the error reporting.

LikeATrollFace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The only real way to "clear logs" *safely* is by booting into maintenance mode and doing a full factory reset that includes wiping saves.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Be careful to not restore twice the same nand backup, it will "restore" your logs too. If you used your ofw... you need to make a new backup :(

Really? Never knew that. Interesting, thanks! Luckily for myself, I haven't attempted much yet but I will definitely be creating backups each time then.

D

Deleted User

I think maybe the log clearer should add a mode to add dummy logs. If someone was online a few months ago, with a few games played in his log, then comes back with absolutely nothing in his log, not even a system restore, it is pretty suspicious.
Or maybe clear errors that aren't valid? Like, maybe instead of clearing the entire thing, restore a log that is a clean log, or delete the last error that had occured... But even then that is odd since I have cleared logs, and I haven't gotten banned.... yet

Last edited by ,

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since 5.X have a lot more telemetry, it's quite dangerous to clear the logs actually. What I want to know if Nintendo can see RCM or not. If they can see you booted RCM and then Horizon they will see something is suspicious and can probably work out it's a CFW or such loaded.
I'd like to know the telementry used base on each firmware. Maybe we can base a CFW off of specific firmware where telementry isn't so heavily used? I don't know how ideal that would be but I'm just curious.

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Sc
Hey all.

I recently found out that my Switch was banned , and i really dont know how i did get banned.

Heres what i did pretty mutch :

Everytime i was logging in CFW/romFS mode , i turned on Airplane mode (obviously) , when i was done playing around with theses tools i wiped the logs with the Clear Logs option in the hekate bootloader , and returned to the OFW.

I always did that and i never got banned. Also no , i never used online while playing around with the CFW/romFS mode as it would be a instant ban. I do recal , however , used SX OS twice , with airplane mode on , never used online , i just used it for shits and giggles. Then clearing logs etc. Yet , here i am banned , and i dont really know why. I'll try to contact Nintendo Support later , but im sure its gonna be a negative awnser by the looks of it.

Is it becose of the burned fuses or something ? If anyone can clear me on this issue/help me please do so ! I know you cannot unban a switch as of YET.

Anyways , Thanks again !

(ps : also yes i use my legit carts to play online)
Sciresm has already said that Nintendo can see when you clear your logs it leaves a gap to them and they know when you use layeredFS

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been using cfw sxos for about 3 days now online and am currently not banned. All backups I play online are my own personal dumps and I am having no issues

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WUOq1dlZWxI?si=LBlEJwZfwtWShljP lol Denmark can't handle the spice