Gaming So that this doesn't happen again

Windaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright so, my new Pandora battery should be here by Friday, hopefully on Thursday. So that I don't run into any of these problems again, can anyone help me with this?

- The PSP was running on the latest version of Prometheus. It's been bricked. When I fix the brick with a MMS and a Pandora Battery, will it retain the firmware? Or will I have to reinstall it? What happens after recovering from a brick? Does it go back to the way it was before the brick, or does it start out brand new? (Or does the unbricking process itself also install custom firmware?)

-- If it needs new firmware, how would I do this? I know where to get the latest version of Prometheus from, I'm just not sure if the process of recovering from a brick is the same as installing the custom firmware in the first place.

Sorry for all of these topics. I just don't want this happening again. And while I'm on the subject

- How exactly do you install a theme? Someone said "Flash0 themes aren't really used anymore, use CXMB" - what does that mean?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
-Essentially recovery from a brick is rewriting the internal flash. You're overwriting your brick with data from your MMS. (That's the point of the Pandora, to trigger a boot from files on the MS).

-You just follow the update process to whichever firmware you want to get to. So if it was me, and i ran Rain's Ultralite Installer which had the 5.00M33-4 firmware on it i'd just run the 5.00M33-6 update and stop. If you want to get to Prometheus you'll need to go to GEN Firmware then Prometheus. You're just re-updating.

-CXMB essentially does all that you want with themes. It's a plugin that allows you to use custom coldboots/cintro's, XMB's (down to total manipulation of everything) and gameboots. It does all this by loading from the Memory stick so no risk of a brick either. I don't know if i said this (
wink.gif
) but your friend was a moron just flashing random files into flash0 when themes are so much easier to utilise with CXMB.

Windaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I did. Now I'm running "5.00 M33-4" firmware, but I can't any games to run. Did I use the wrong firmware? Is there a way to change it? How do I change it (or upgrade it) the latest version of Prometheus? (Or whatever is best)

Also, the Pandora Battery worked for installing the firmware (though it's only 20 percent charged right now), but it won't function as a normal battery. Right now, I'm running off of my friend's little brother's A/C adapter. For whatever reason, the battery will only turn on in a certain position with pressure applied, and even then, it won't function as a normal battery.

Edit
Also, I'm not sure if you noticed when you shipped it, but the Battery has been opened. I had to tape the side of it so that it would stay shut in my PSP.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Update to 5.00 M33-6 (place the UPDATE folder in PSP/GAME/ and run from XMB
Grab ISO Tool 1.79 and place in PSP/GAME/
Run ISO Tool
Select Decrypt and select ISO which isn't working
Select Patch and select Prometheus .6b and the ISO which isn't working
Exit and run game you just fixed yourself.

Windaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will I have to do that with every game I use? I'm asking because I didn't have to patch anything with the firmware I was using before - everything was literally drag and drop.

(Doing what you said as I type)

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windaga said:
Yeah, I did. Now I'm running "5.00 M33-4" firmware, but I can't any games to run. Did I use the wrong firmware? Is there a way to change it? How do I change it (or upgrade it) the latest version of Prometheus? (Or whatever is best)

Also, the Pandora Battery worked for installing the firmware (though it's only 20 percent charged right now), but it won't function as a normal battery. Right now, I'm running off of my friend's little brother's A/C adapter. For whatever reason, the battery will only turn on in a certain position with pressure applied, and even then, it won't function as a normal battery.

Edit
Also, I'm not sure if you noticed when you shipped it, but the Battery has been opened. I had to tape the side of it so that it would stay shut in my PSP.

That's weird. I didn't notice that it was open.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, you can still update to Prometheus again, although xist prefers M33, so it's only natural that he recommends it.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
You'd have to patch about 3% of the PSP Game library that way....also once updated go to the Recovery Menu and enable MS Speed Up - All the time

Windaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright well, thanks for all of your help guys. I would like to update to Prometheus again, though. Does anyone know what the latest version of Prometheus is, and how I would go about upgrading to it? I'd imagine it would be similar to how I upgrade to M33-6, right? (I just don't want to end up bricking my PSP myself > _

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Provided that you don't interrupt any updates, bricking is fairly unlikely.
Find 'Prometheus' on FileTrip.net
Quick search says this is the latest Prometheus firmware (not the separate module)

http://filetrip.net/g25124713-5-50-Prometheus.html

That should always link directly to the latest version available for download. I don't have it myself, but there might be a readme in there.

I'm only providing the link at the moment; you might have to install another firmware like M33-6 or GEN-D3 before using it (I haven't checked yet), or you might not.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Get the latest XGEN Updater and go to GEN D3. Then Update to Prometheus 2

Windaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot, guys. I'm in the process of downloading everything needed for the updating. I just can't seem to find the files hosted anywhere other than Uploading.to, which is really slow for me. Oh well.

So this
http://www.atmaxplorer.com/2009/12/install...re-5-50-gen-d3/

Then this
http://www.psp-hacks.com/2010/09/05/custom...eus-2-released/

Then my games should work, right? Awesome. I think I'll stay away from the themes for the time being. I'll DEFINITELY have Ryan stay away from my PSP now. (The one who originally bricked it >

Windaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep I got it up and running, thanks a lot, all of you ^ ^. I'll look further into actually customizing the PSP later on - I'm just happy it's actually working now. Thanks again, all of you.
smile.gif

I do need to get a new battery, though. This Pandora battery worked fantastically, but it won't function as a normal battery. Not a big deal - I'll head to gamestop tomorrow and buy one.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you can still use it for power if you turn the PSP on when it's only getting power from A/C, either with a standard battery plugged in or with no battery and just the cable. It functions as a battery, I believe, it's just the startup that is altered.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Windaga said:
I do need to get a new battery, though. This Pandora battery worked fantastically, but it won't function as a normal battery. Not a big deal - I'll head to gamestop tomorrow and buy one.

Format the MS you're using with this, selecting the Time Machine IPL. Now your Pandora will boot the PSP normally.

Edit: :facepalm: forgot link.....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.