So since I'm on firmware 9.5.0-23U is Sky3DS my only choice?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by sacredshinobi, Mar 23, 2015.

1. sacredshinobi
    OP

sacredshinobi GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2010
    United States
    Like the title says, My 3DS is on 9.5.0 -23U

Should I get a Sky3DS or will Gateway eventually update for my firmware?

Are there any risks involved in using a Flashcart on my main (and only) 3DS?

2. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    You might not want to hear this but there is another option, sell your current 3ds and buy another one that is 9.2 or below so you can use a Gateway 3ds instead of getting a sky3ds.

As far as risk goes, playing online with roms with public headers will most likely get you banned. Have to use private headers but personally i would just buy the games that you want to play online instead.

Margen67 and Adeka like this.
  3. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    If the above comment is not an option for you, then yes.

4. sacredshinobi
    OP

Dec 10, 2010
    United States
    I would consider this if
    So is the technical aspect of it really preventing any other cards to come out or for gateway to ever support past 9.2?

5. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada

Currently yes, is this a definitive barrier that will NEVER be overcome ? No one knows. New updates bring new bugs/new exploits, one might pop-up sooner or later or it might not, it's up to you to decide whether you want to gamble on a future exploit that to be honest no one is probably even looking for since we have currently everything we need, and 9.0-9.2 consoles are very easy to come by, it's not like the hunt for 4.x that was before the Ultra update.

6. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    This is seriously the best option. Especially on the old 3ds

7. sacredshinobi
    OP

Dec 10, 2010
    United States

Is the difference between Sky3DS and Gateway really worth this? Sky3DS has now has an unlimited number of roms playable right?

I think I read that you won't be able to play eshop games or use the eshop if you are using Sky3DS (official, non pirated ones that is) is this the case?

8. Kuifa

Kuifa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 22, 2015
    If you are not up to date then yes you are right, but if you were like the OP then you can access the eshop as long as your firmware is up to date.

9. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Unfortunately Sky3DS does is not able to have a unlimited amount of roms playable on it. at least not all at once.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/when-will-sky3ds-team-make-diskwriter-v106-for-31-file-limit-fix.377653/

Based on what users have been saying, the Sky3DS has a 31 rom/game limit to it. Any game that is put on past that will not be read.

10. sacredshinobi
    OP

Dec 10, 2010
    United States
  11. LinkmstrYT

LinkmstrYT ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dec 16, 2013
    United States
    You wanted to see where I live? You stalker...
    1. Get a Sky3DS.
    2. Sell your 3DS, find and buy another 3DS on an older firmware (9.2 or below), and get Gateway.
    3. Wait for 9.5 support from Gateway which will most likely either will never happen or won't happen for a long time.
    4. Learn how to hack the 3DS yourself and make your own CFW without having to rely on Gateway or Sky3DS to play 3DS roms.
    5. Buy the games legit and support the developers. <-- Best option, imho