Zane

Ace Wizard
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've had cracks between the light and R button for some time, been extra carefull when i play on it because i knew it would eventually break.

Opened it up today to play, and the thing (light) just went flying across the room.

Anything i can do about it?

not sure glueing it back would help much.

The thing still works, but i can't hold it and play, have to put it flat on the table and play it like that, since the upper screen is loose now.

Sorry about the bad quality, just got a new cellphone and it's the only camera i have at the time.

Was saving up for a PSP to go along with my DS, guess i won't get a PSP till x-mas cus i have to get a new DS first.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You could try and get a replacement case instead of a new DS. That's if you're confident enough about opening it up. There are a few guides floating about.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Damn yours is worse than mine O_O. Your best bet at getting that repaired for the lowest price is getting a replacement case for a DS Lite, then repairing it with a few guides. Or if you don't want to risk breaking it, you can ask a professional to do that, but hard to find one... I know thieves like us repairs DS Lite cases but in some cases, you need to supply the replacement case. Your last resort should be asking Nintendo to repair it be sending it to them.

NDS Lite disassembly/reassembly guide (by Thieves Like Us): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98240
Replacement Cases Can Be Found At: DealExtreme (Cheapest place, and the quality is probably one of the best...? I think xDD. But yea cheapest and should last you for a while)

Zane

Ace Wizard
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Splych said:
Damn yours is worse than mine O_O. Your best bet at getting that repaired for the lowest price is getting a replacement case for a DS Lite, then repairing it with a few guides. Or if you don't want to risk breaking it, you can ask a professional to do that, but hard to find one... I know thieves like us repairs DS Lite cases but in some cases, you need to supply the replacement case. Your last resort should be asking Nintendo to repair it be sending it to them.

NDS Lite disassembly/reassembly guide (by Thieves Like Us): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98240
Replacement Cases Can Be Found At: DealExtreme (Cheapest place, and the quality is probably one of the best...? I think xDD. But yea cheapest and should last you for a while)

Cheers, i'll check it out, seeing as i can't take it on the go anymore, i think i rather try to fix it and risk it breaking fully, then just leaving it as it is.

Saywhatjj4 said:
QUOTE(Splych @ Jul 21 2009, 05:56 PM) Your last resort should be asking Nintendo to repair it be sending it to them.

Don`t Repair from nintendo, They take EXTREMELY long and Costs about $75/$55 To fix the casing (Hinges,leds etc)

That's insane! It's almost as much as a newly bought DS.. i'd rather just buy a new one then.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
That's the EXACT same way my sister's one cracked. All the ribbon cables and connectors are in place so it still works but its unplayable.
My suggestion is take apart and replace the case if you're feeling up to it. Its a fiddly job but a damn sight (sight or site I'm never sure) cheaper than a fix/new DS and if its out of warranty you've got nothing to lose anyway.

Still this cracking business is a definite score for us early DS adopters!!!
smileipb2.png
(unfortunately there's not smiley holding a DS Phat... ADD ONE!!!)

stivsama

GBA-Tenchan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wait, do the people who break their DS hinges HULK OUT before doing so? I am now afraid for my DS Lite's life (as it is offically now "my precioussss" lol)

How come the GBA SP didn't have this problem? (Or did it?)

stallonef

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ive done alot of research on this crack problem and have found out that the newer stocked DSL's dont have this problem anymore.

Zane

Ace Wizard
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
stallonef said:
Ive done alot of research on this crack problem and have found out that the newer stocked DSL's dont have this problem anymore.

Ah, that would make sense, i bought mine when it was released. the cracks on the hinge showed up some month ago. My friend got his some days after mine, and he got a huge crack on one of his sides.. Not sure if it's still whole or not, since he just got himself a PSP.

Also, my bro have had 2 GBA SP's and none of them have had the hinge problem.

Steevsee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Zane said:
Splych said:

Cheers, i'll check it out, seeing as i can't take it on the go anymore, i think i rather try to fix it and risk it breaking fully, then just leaving it as it is.

Definitely replace the case as suggested. Also check out the video tutorials stickied in this forum.

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Saywhatjj4 said:
Splych said:
Your last resort should be asking Nintendo to repair it be sending it to them.

Don`t Repair from nintendo, They take EXTREMELY long and Costs about $75/$55 To fix the casing (Hinges,leds etc)

It's $75 to repair a Wii, $50ish to repair a DS. They charge a flat rate for any repair. If you're sending it in to fix a hinge, that's your own decision to waste money. In my 2 dealings with Nintendo, they were quite punctual.

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The exact same thing happened to my friends ds, but his dad fixed it - dont no how but it can be repaired pretty easily.
You could send it to Nintendo but when I sent my Wii it took very long for them to fix - 4 weeks, but since this is a common problem might not take as long/

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OI.

Don't be a PUSSY
. My DS was 2 YEARS out of warranty and I wanted a new screen, so I called Nintendo and tricked them to give me a replacement.

MissingNo._

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ferrariman said:
OI.

Don't be a PUSSY
. My DS was 2 YEARS out of warranty and I wanted a new screen, so I called Nintendo and tricked them to give me a replacement.

You know you just told the whole world about that, and Nintendo can easily open this page and track you down, right?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why you should stick to the DS Phat. That thing is like a tank. I've had mine for probably 3-4 years and their hasn't been one squeaky hinge. The DSL is just more sleek, sexy looks than an economical design. I wouldn't waste my money on something that'll break so easily.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stivsama said:
Wait, do the people who break their DS hinges HULK OUT before doing so? I am now afraid for my DS Lite's life (as it is offically now "my precioussss" lol)
No, we're just unlucky. Or rather, those who don't have the problem are lucky because the majority of DS Lites will crack (though not always this bad).

How come the GBA SP didn't have this problem? (Or did it?)
It's top screen was much lighter, as the speaker was placed on the bottom half.

stallonef said:
Hell no. I've got a Cobalt/Black DS Lite that has the same cracked hinge my Polar White DS has. Strangely, my Gold Zelda DS is still fine.

Ferrariman said:
OI.

Don't be a PUSSY
Again, I wonder why it's free for some people are costs an arm and leg for others. Is there some secret you're not sharing with us?
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Jul 22 2009, 02:52 PM)
That's why you should stick to the DS Phat. That thing is like a tank. I've had mine for probably 3-4 years and their hasn't been one squeaky hinge. The DSL is just more sleek, sexy looks than an economical design. I wouldn't waste my money on something that'll break so easily.
Yeah, but it's not so much the phat part that I don't like, it's the darkness. I wish there was an easy way to put a DS Lite backlight into a DS Dark.

mk123a

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To the OP, when you see a crack starting to happen you should really apply to superglue to fill in the crack. My launch DSL has about 3 cracks all around where the light is -- just like yours. If I hadn't applied superglue and repaired it just when it was starting to crack, my DS would probably be like yours right now. Instead it is super sturdy thanks to the nice glue that is strong and holding everything together. I dropped this bad boy at least 4+ already and its still sturdy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn