So, my DSL finally cracked.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Zane, Jul 21, 2009.

Jul 21, 2009

So, my DSL finally cracked. by Zane at 4:58 PM (1,980 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. Zane
    OP

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    I've had cracks between the light and R button for some time, been extra carefull when i play on it because i knew it would eventually break.

Opened it up today to play, and the thing (light) just went flying across the room.

[​IMG]

Anything i can do about it?

not sure glueing it back would help much.

[​IMG]

The thing still works, but i can't hold it and play, have to put it flat on the table and play it like that, since the upper screen is loose now.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the bad quality, just got a new cellphone and it's the only camera i have at the time.

Was saving up for a PSP to go along with my DS, guess i won't get a PSP till x-mas cus i have to get a new DS first.

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    You could try and get a replacement case instead of a new DS. That's if you're confident enough about opening it up. There are a few guides floating about.

3. Zane
    OP

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    Hmm, they replace the whole frame?

4. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    Damn yours is worse than mine O_O. Your best bet at getting that repaired for the lowest price is getting a replacement case for a DS Lite, then repairing it with a few guides. Or if you don't want to risk breaking it, you can ask a professional to do that, but hard to find one... I know thieves like us repairs DS Lite cases but in some cases, you need to supply the replacement case. Your last resort should be asking Nintendo to repair it be sending it to them.

NDS Lite disassembly/reassembly guide (by Thieves Like Us): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98240
    Replacement Cases Can Be Found At: DealExtreme (Cheapest place, and the quality is probably one of the best...? I think xDD. But yea cheapest and should last you for a while)

5. s0nicfreak

Newcomer s0nicfreak Member

United States
    duct tape

6. Saywhatjj4

Member Saywhatjj4 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Don`t Repair from nintendo, They take EXTREMELY long and Costs about $75/$55 To fix the casing (Hinges,leds etc)

7. Zane
    OP

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    That's insane! It's almost as much as a newly bought DS.. i'd rather just buy a new one then.

8. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    That's the EXACT same way my sister's one cracked. All the ribbon cables and connectors are in place so it still works but its unplayable.
    My suggestion is take apart and replace the case if you're feeling up to it. Its a fiddly job but a damn sight (sight or site I'm never sure) cheaper than a fix/new DS and if its out of warranty you've got nothing to lose anyway.

Still this cracking business is a definite score for us early DS adopters!!! [​IMG] (unfortunately there's not smiley holding a DS Phat... ADD ONE!!!)

9. stivsama

Member stivsama GBA-Tenchan

Wait, do the people who break their DS hinges HULK OUT before doing so? I am now afraid for my DS Lite's life (as it is offically now "my precioussss" lol)

How come the GBA SP didn't have this problem? (Or did it?)

10. stallonef

Newcomer stallonef Member

Canada
    Ive done alot of research on this crack problem and have found out that the newer stocked DSL's dont have this problem anymore.

11. Zane
    OP

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    Ah, that would make sense, i bought mine when it was released. the cracks on the hinge showed up some month ago. My friend got his some days after mine, and he got a huge crack on one of his sides.. Not sure if it's still whole or not, since he just got himself a PSP.

Also, my bro have had 2 GBA SP's and none of them have had the hinge problem.

12. Steevsee

Newcomer Steevsee Advanced Member

Australia
    Definitely replace the case as suggested. Also check out the video tutorials stickied in this forum.

13. MissingNo._

Member MissingNo._ aka MissingNoL

United States
    Look at the NDSL replacement cases review and see which one(s) suit you. I'm getting the speacial Pikachu edition case!

14. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Freshâ„¢

United States

It's $75 to repair a Wii, $50ish to repair a DS. They charge a flat rate for any repair. If you're sending it in to fix a hinge, that's your own decision to waste money. In my 2 dealings with Nintendo, they were quite punctual.

15. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    The exact same thing happened to my friends ds, but his dad fixed it - dont no how but it can be repaired pretty easily.
    You could send it to Nintendo but when I sent my Wii it took very long for them to fix - 4 weeks, but since this is a common problem might not take as long/

16. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    OI.

Don't be a PUSSY
    . My DS was 2 YEARS out of warranty and I wanted a new screen, so I called Nintendo and tricked them to give me a replacement.

17. MissingNo._

Member MissingNo._ aka MissingNoL

United States
    You know you just told the whole world about that, and Nintendo can easily open this page and track you down, right?

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    That's why you should stick to the DS Phat. That thing is like a tank. I've had mine for probably 3-4 years and their hasn't been one squeaky hinge. The DSL is just more sleek, sexy looks than an economical design. I wouldn't waste my money on something that'll break so easily.

19. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yeah, but it's not so much the phat part that I don't like, it's the darkness. I wish there was an easy way to put a DS Lite backlight into a DS Dark.

20. mk123a

Newcomer mk123a Advanced Member

To the OP, when you see a crack starting to happen you should really apply to superglue to fill in the crack. My launch DSL has about 3 cracks all around where the light is -- just like yours. If I hadn't applied superglue and repaired it just when it was starting to crack, my DS would probably be like yours right now. Instead it is super sturdy thanks to the nice glue that is strong and holding everything together. I dropped this bad boy at least 4+ already and its still sturdy.