So installed Tiramisu without issue, couldn't figure way to make backups, removed Tiramisu successfully but Daily Log causes error 160-0103

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been following hacking guides for year and never had a brick or major issue. I followed the Tiramisu install guide to the letter. But I was admittedly stressed by how many methods there were to install Wii U, Wii, Gamecube games, different storage devices being preferred, etc. So I decided fuck it and removed Tiramisu following the guide. Both the installation and removal went successfully.

But when I go to the Daily Log app I get this error. I did not check this app before the installation, so I can't confirm if it had this issue before or after. Does anyone have any advice? I'm currently backing up my save games and then going to factory reset the system. I'm just way too stressed out about the whole thing.

rigbone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't bother formatting, it won't help. Install NUSspli here, then download/install "Daily Log" to NAND. See if that fixes it. I had 4 or 5 apps that were all giving this error when I removed CHBC and tried to install Tiramisu (unsure why) but by reinstalling them all through NUSspli, all are fixed and haven't given that error since.

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Don't bother formatting, it won't help. Install NUSspli here, then download/install "Daily Log" to NAND. See if that fixes it. I had 4 or 5 apps that were all giving this error when I removed CHBC and tried to install Tiramisu (unsure why) but by reinstalling them all through NUSspli, all are fixed and haven't given that error since.
Just an additional note: This is not really "fixing" the issue, just delaying it. When you re-install the titles, other parts of the MLC are used that are not corrupted then, eventually the whole MLC will die though. Temporarily this is a fix though, try to reduce the amount of data you read/write from MLC and be prepared for a complete brick

Reactions: YamiJustin

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies, for some reason I did not get notified from this. I am doing this for my friend, she would enjoy playing a lot of various titles all from the Wii U memory. So this error I'm getting is telling me that the flash memory or some aspect of a physical chip in the system is dying? Or just that it's getting old and it corrupted an app (the Daily Log).

The really wish I had tested the app before doing Tiramisu, just so that I would know 100% that it wasn't my installation of Tiramisu and the Homebrew Launcher that triggered this. Since it's not my system I got cold feet and uninstalled it, but someone was telling me it has nothing to do with Tiramisu. So perhaps I was being paranoid and can go back and reinstall it.

My feelings of being overwhelmed were just a bit much last night, but it sounds like the modern, most reliable way to play Wii U, Wii, Gamecube and retro games is to install them directly onto an external HDD (preferrably with external power )or a USB flash drive, and have them playable right from the Wii U menu.

Bonus Question: For some reason, when I attempted to try the vWii app and try out my friends Twilight Princess game, it would not show the image on my 4k TV. Only on the GamePad. The same issue happened when I plugged it into my 1440p 165hz monitor: no display on the monitor, only on the GamePad.

At first I was freaking out, but then read that the Wii mode is finicky about 4k displays. I followed some advice and set the Wii U's resolution to 480p, and lo and behold, the Wii mode displays on the TV and monitor. Am I correct in assuming this is also unrelated to the error code that Daily Log has?

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I can tell you is that my Wii U never has any problems displaying on my 4K TV when I play my eShop-downloaded Wii games, regardless of whether or not the resolution is set to 1080p or 480p. I did, however, notice some weird compression-like artifacts involving red colors when at 1080p that disappear when the system is set to 480p. They looked very similar to the compression artifacts around the color red that are visible on the GamePad's video feed, almost as if, at 1080p, the TV screen simply mirrors the GamePad's video output, complete with red artifacting.

Beyond that, I don't know. I wouldn't be able to tell you why your friend's system acted the way it did.

Yeah, again, I just needed confirmation from the veterans that Tiramisu and the Homebrew Launcher wouldn't be playing a role in something like this. I might try connecting this system to another spare TV to see what happens. I am tempted to reinstall Tiramisu again since signs are pointing to it being innocent lol

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an additional note: This is not really "fixing" the issue, just delaying it. When you re-install the titles, other parts of the MLC are used that are not corrupted then, eventually the whole MLC will die though. Temporarily this is a fix though, try to reduce the amount of data you read/write from MLC and be prepared for a complete brick

That is basically what I told my friend, that this error seems to be due to flash memory or some physical part of the chip, and that the cause is likely.. age?

Is information always being written to the MLC? If not, then simply not installing anything onto the internal memory will halt whatever the issue is. Or is this some physical deterioration of the chip?

At the end of the day if me reinstalling Tiramisu and learning to put all sorts of games on an external HDD does not exacerbate the problem, then I'll get back into it lol

Maschell

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The really wish I had tested the app before doing Tiramisu, just so that I would know 100% that it wasn't my installation of Tiramisu and the Homebrew Launcher that triggered this. Since it's not my system I got cold feet and uninstalled it, but someone was telling me it has nothing to do with Tiramisu. So perhaps I was being paranoid and can go back and reinstall it.
There is no possible way that Tiramisu does affect the the Daily Log App. The installer is not even aware that the Daily Log app exists. The only thing that **might** be "corrupted" during installation is the Health and Safety App, but nothing else is even touched

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no possible way that Tiramisu does affect the the Daily Log App. The installer is not even aware that the Daily Log app exists. The only thing that **might** be "corrupted" during installation is the Health and Safety App, but nothing else is even touched
Okay, that puts my mind at ease. So what caused an unused app to be corrupted. I highly doubt my friend used it. And does this mean more apps will be corrupted? Finally, would a factory reset be good or bad

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since I am no longer stressed about the issue, I will continue installing Tiramisu tomorrow after my classes. Someone on Reddit is giving me good advice on how to inject the games onto the Wii U menu running off an external HDD. Only issue is my friends HDD probably doesn’t use external power, just off of the usb. I wonder if my friend should be worried that the Daily Log app is corrupted, if that means the system is overall dying?

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If that's the case, you'll need a Y-cable with two USB ends, one for transfer and one for power, like this one. The Wii U's USB ports don't provide enough power individually for a hard drive. I've used a Y-cable + hard drive + enclosure for years and it's worked great.

I'm no expert or anything, but that error code seems to be bad news. If you're lucky, maybe it's not an indication that the console is on its way out, but you should probably be prepared for the possibility that it is.
Thanks, I’ll be telling her to get the Y cable in the event that the HDD isn’t externally powered. Part of me wants to do a factory reset to “fix” the Daily Log app, but a greater part of my gut says “No! leave it be”. The Wii U is what, like 8 years old? Guess this is kind of to be expected, like a launch PS3

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, others are telling me the same. Figured that was the only way to reinstall a system title app. But I will leave it as is and focus on the modding and homebrew. I’ll make sure I don’t install things to the internal memory if I can avoid it. If anything I install on an HDD ends up corrupted then maybe she should worry lol

OldWiiGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Even with a 32GB NAND it would only take 200 or so games being installed and uninstalled before some people might run into issues. The average for "reasonable" quality nand is 300 write cycles before some failures start appearing but some people will be unlucky. It's also hard to know whether the Wii U uses dynamic or static write leveling but my guess is it could be dynamic which means that you are actually getting somewhat less than 300 cycles in most scenarios.

You also have to combine this with the age of the nand as well. After 8+ years I would expect the number of cycles to have reduced significantly as well.

If you want your Wii U to last you should be using external storage as much as possible.

With modern computer SSD drives the situation isn't quite as bad. Most quality drives use static wear leveling which means the allocation will be perfectly even across the drive as it ages as much as possible. Also the larger the NAND the longer it will last. Unfortunately drive makers have mostly moved to TLC NAND but the larger sizes has somewhat mitigated the reduced longitivity vs MLC NAND.

Last edited by OldWiiGamer,
Reactions: YamiJustin

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even with a 32GB NAND it would only take 200 or so games being installed and uninstalled before some people might run into issues. The average for "reasonable" quality nand is 300 write cycles before some failures start appearing but some people will be unlucky. It's also hard to know whether the Wii U uses dynamic or static write leveling but my guess is it could be dynamic which means that you are actually getting somewhat less than 300 cycles in most scenarios.

You also have to combine this with the age of the nand as well. After 8+ years I would expect the number of cycles to have reduced significantly as well.

If you want your Wii U to last you should be using external storage as much as possible.

With modern computer SSD drives the situation isn't quite as bad. Most quality drives use static wear leveling which means the allocation will be perfectly even across the drive as it ages as much as possible. Also the larger the NAND the longer it will last. Unfortunately drive makers have mostly moved to TLC NAND but the larger sizes has somewhat mitigated the reduced longitivity vs MLC NAND.

Thanks. When I install games on the External HDD, does the fact that the games show up on the Wii U menu mean some data gets installed to the Nand? I’ll be sure to tell my friend that in the future not to install things there just to be safe. Unrelated but are there any cool mods that specifically add or do anything to the gamepad itself?

OldWiiGamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thanks. When I install games on the External HDD, does the fact that the games show up on the Wii U menu mean some data gets installed to the Nand? I’ll be sure to tell my friend that in the future not to install things there just to be safe. Unrelated but are there any cool mods that specifically add or do anything to the gamepad itself?

I don't know. If there is some it is a small amount. Just remember it is a scale thing, if you are writing a few MB's it would take a very long time to even get through one write cycle. If you are writing a 20 GB+ game like Xenoblade Cronicles you get through it very fast indeed :)

YamiJustin

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know. If there is some it is a small amount. Just remember it is a scale thing, if you are writing a few MB's it would take a very long time to even get through one write cycle. If you are writing a 20 GB+ game like Xenoblade Cronicles you get through it very fast indeed :)
Yeah, sounds like the tools I'll need to put things on, whether its for Gamecube, Wii or Wii U, will be installed on the NAND. The games will all be installed on an external HDD (but for tonight I must settle for a USB)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: idk how hot of a take this is, but science as a subject sucks