So I need to develop a game for school.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
We're kinda going off topic from helping this kid, aren't we? Anyway...

Actionscript 2.0 is definitely easier, because you write in the code for the individual objects, instead of having it all in one layer, where you have to make sure everything is named right and you have the right commands (which there are a lot of
wacko.gif
)

In AS2, you right click on the object in the stage and select actions, then just do that for every object. You only need to actionscipt a layer if you really want to.

Note: I'm a Flash animator, I've only made some really basic animations so far (but I'm working on an epic one right now!), so I haven't coded for a game... yet
wink.gif

Magmorph

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:

Actionscript 2.0 is definitely easier, because you write in the code for the individual objects, instead of having it all in one layer, where you have to make sure everything is named right and you have the right commands (which there are a lot of
wacko.gif
)

In AS2, you right click on the object in the stage and select actions, then just do that for every object. You only need to actionscipt a layer if you really want to.

Note: I'm a Flash animator, I've only made some really basic animations so far (but I'm working on an epic one right now!), so I haven't coded for a game... yet
wink.gif
What do you mean all in one layer? You can put code in a Movie Clip in AS3.

Edit:

Also if you are an animator, you should know that AS2 does not support the bone tool.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theres an even easier tool then game maker called scratch from mit
works in the same ways for the most part but easier

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
That i wouldnt know, since i am a game programmer who has to learn flash for his project, so i don really know too much about flash, so for any animation that is needed, we just code them out .

but it depends really, for some cases, AS2 is easier, but for other, AS3 might be easier.

JoyConG

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Almost all of you agree Game maker is the best place to get started. I took a look around the site and tried some of the games, after seeing some of the quality there I'm more than glad to keep using that!

"theres an even easier tool then game maker called scratch from mit"
but it depends really, for some cases, AS2 is easier, but for other, AS3 might be easier.

^Will check out though

Snorlax

POSTMODERNISM
Trophies
Website
postmodjoel.com
XP
Country
Magmorph said:
chrisman01 said:

wacko.gif
)

wink.gif
What do you mean all in one layer? You can put code in a Movie Clip in AS3.

Also if you are an animator, you should know that AS2 does not support the bone tool.
But you can't attach script to Movie Clips with AS3...
And the bone tool is far from essential when it comes to animating, so I don't see why it should be a deal-breaker when choosing a language.

As for the OP, if you are learning Flash, jump straight into AS3.
AS2 will become a legacy language eventually, so it would be wiser just to learn the newest version of the code.
However if you're just using it for a couple of projects, and don't plan on using it again in the future, then learn AS2. It's easy for noobs, and is forgiving when it comes to errors. AS3 is just alot of OOP (object-oriented-programming), and is difficult to pick-up at first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @NinStar, and blood and bones