So I need to develop a game for school.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Nintendude92, Jan 12, 2010.

Jan 12, 2010
  1. Nintendude92
    OP

Member Nintendude92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yesterday in school during my vessle operations class my teacher told us we are going to have alot of spare time, and that we would be taking on independent study projects that we could be assessed by. He went around the room asking us what we would want to do, and when he came to me, he already had an idea.

"Hey, what do you think you can do about game development?"

I thought why not? We're going to get a few months in class to put together these projects, and its something I've always wanted to do. I have no idea where to begin though. I post it here because it isn't necessarily going to be a homebrew game on a Nintendo platform. What I'm asking is, where does one get started? Are there kits or tutorials that are reccomended?

Things for the DS aren't out of the question but I'm looking to start something for the computer. Any input or advice is appreciated!

2. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    I'd start with Game Maker 6 or 7. Both are very user-friendly, and it's easy to create a great game (Look up ADRENALINE on the YoYo Games message board) in a short period of time. I've been using it since around 2003, and I love it.

3. chrisman01

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I did something like this for my final project in Driver's Ed.! And I passed! (yeah, I'm a geek [​IMG] )

http://www.yoyogames.com/make

I used Game Maker 7.0. Now they've released 8.0, but it should be the same. It's extremely easy to learn, there's not much coding, and it's mostly drag and drop objects onto the screen then tell them what to do!

Here's the game I made, btw: http://www.yoyogames.com/games/2093-drivers-ed

Wow... Haven't checked on it in years, and people are bashing me for copying the tutorial... which I didn't do [​IMG] one guy said it's not even mine [​IMG]

Jeez, people are jerks [​IMG] I used the sprites, but that's it! [​IMG]

4. Nintendude92
    OP

United States
    Haha both of you saved me from coming up with some story about not knowing what to do in class today. [​IMG]

Taking a look at the site it does seem like a nice place to get started, I'll probably be able to download and try this program by the time I get home, thank you both. The schools computers are to restricing to try anything just yet. ;/

If there are any other suggestions please keep them coming!

5. chrisman01

United States
    ooh, sorry for posting so close together, but I remembered another program! This one's 100% free, whereas game maker is a free trial (last I used it, at least)

www.3drad.com

It's like game maker (mostly drag and drop), and it's also very easy to learn, but it's completely 3D! I forgot about it because I discovered it only recently, and haven't been able to use it.

You can use the prefabricated models that came with it, download more models from the internet, or if you know how to use Blender you can make your own models!

In that sense, it's more limited than Game Maker, because if you want to make a game 100% by yourself you need to know 3D modeling, which is hard to learn. I found it hard to find compatible 3D models on the internet.

Game Maker may be better in this case, since it's way, way easier and faster to make 2D sprites

Whatever's your piece of cake, eh?

(...the cake is a lie... [​IMG] )

6. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    Heh. At school, for our "GAT Projects", i used GM7 to create a game on Hitler (Metal slug-ish Platformer) and got the best marks in class [​IMG]

7. Keeley

Member Keeley GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Or....you could use VS and code it form the ground up [​IMG]

8. Nintendude92
    OP

United States
    Okay, so I got home and used yoyogames' tutorial to create a fruit clicking game, it was very helpful! I would upload it and show you all, but I assume the masses have already done this tutorial. [​IMG]

I may shell out for the full edition, unless there are better freeware tools for 2D games, I would much rather work with these for the time being! Thanks again, I will also check out that 3D source. [​IMG]

fgghjjkkll and Keeley, may I have links to find what it is your sharing? GM7 and VS, I am not familiar with them.

9. Magmorph

Member Magmorph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    VS= Visual Studio
    GM7= GameMaker 7

I'm kind of guessing about the VS one.

10. kagutsuchi

Newcomer kagutsuchi Newbie

United States
    GM7 is Game Maker 7 and VS is (I believe) Visual Studio.

If all you want is to create a game for fun, Game Maker is the way to go. It simplifies the entire process but isn't entirely useful if you want to go further in game development.

If you're more serious about game dev, I would suggest learning Python to start. With Python you can use either pygame (SDL) or pyglet (OpenGL) to create games and start learning how games work fundamentally. Python is accessible and well-documented, so it's easy to jump in and learn.

11. Magmorph

United States
    Gamemaker is a good place to start for someone that knows nothing about coding. It is easy for a beginner to understand and has its own C++ based coding language for making more complex games.

12. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    I think you should only look into creating a cool flash game in AS3 or even AS2, whatever floats your boat. It's a lot of fun [​IMG]

13. chrisman01

United States
    AS2. AS3 is way more complicated than it should be, IMHO, as well as if you learned AS2 like I did, then AS3 is completely different and you have to learn it all over again >.

14. Magmorph

United States
    AS3 is kind of complicated to be making your first game in.

Edit:
    I don't think AS2 is any easier but I learned AS3 first so my opinion would be biased.

15. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    To make an awesome RPG, try RPG maker.
    I havent been into RPG maker for a while, but the last version I had, XP, was very easy, with the included functions. But the great thing was, you could also code your own stuff.

And I have to agree with Social0.

16. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    you can do wonders in game maker if you just try... unlike me and a friend did in our university game programming class (it sucked donkey, the class!) we got second best grade possible, and it wasn't even that good... take a look at it if you want! [​IMG]

http://www.student.itn.liu.se/~timla177/TD...ekt_Nyaste2.gmk

Z jumps and X swings the sword!!!

Guess the inspiration for the game [​IMG]

17. Keeley

Canada
    Yeah I meant Visual Studio, I wouldn't suggest it unless your serious though...

18. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    I wouldn't advice programming from the ground up as a first project... no matter how "serious" you are.
    First, learn the basics of game design. Play around with it with a simple but powerful tool like Game Maker.
    Then, in the mean time, you can learn some programming language. and with that, develop those skills even further until you master
    graphics and input and pointers and other good stuff... then try to mix the two.

so for a first project: game maker!

19. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    unless it is your first time making stuff in flash, AS3 is the way to go if you have any knowledge in c++, both are a tad similar and on the bright side, woot, no need to code out your own collision detection.

Anyway, here's a good site to learn AS3: http://gamedev.michaeljameswilliams.com/20...ame-tutorial-1/

And what they say about VS is true, it took me a while to even figure anything out, and heck, most of my "game" are very fun at all. But if you do wish to use VS, you can have a look at ogre, it's a game engine so that might help u out.

http://www.ogre3d.org/

20. Keeley

Canada
    I was just kidding [​IMG], lol yeah shouldn't jump right into making a game lol doesn't work out well...