War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
It was stupid of me not to research this before I bought it, but I just realized now that I got my friends Slim to CFW that the homebrew compatibility is horrible! D: I tried to give her my homebrew because she doesn't have a computer, and nothing works! All the emulators I tried didn't work (SNES/NES/GBC/GBA) and PSP Revolution didn't work either :\

Does anyone have an alternative to this? I've been googling for a while, but I can't find any of these homebrews "ported" for the Slim. I don't want to give her Time Machine because as far as I know you have to stick with that firmware that you went back to. (So if I use Time Machine to get her PSP to 1.5, it won't be 4.01m33 anymore.) Also, anyone have a compatibility list of sorts? Thanks!~

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can't help you on the homebrew front, but for the emulators...

SNES is always slow, but I use SNEStyl Media Edition or whatever. It seems to do better than the standard for some reason. I haven't had a game do 100% yet, but I haven't seen an update for anything SNES related in ages so...
NES is NesterJ. Works perfectly.
GB and GBC I use one of Rin's emulators. It too works perfectly.
Also, PicoDrive if you want Sega systems on there. I've gone as far as run Sonic CD on it and it didn't give me any problems (and even used custom MP3 files that no one cares about!)

I could've sworn the Time Machine only installed the kernel for 1.5 for better compatibility, but kept the system under the same current firmware. And I was also under the impression this couldn't be done on Slims because they were introduced around v3.60 and can't do the 1.5. I'm probably wrong of course.

The Slim hasn't had a lot of work done on it since it's still relatively new, and very slowly they're starting to come into the fold, but the increased RAM and other changes make it hard to make programs on it. That and if someone makes a program designed for the Slim, people with the old systems miss out and that causes some strife in the community. =\

Have you searched QJ.net for news on this stuff? It's where I generally get everything for my PSP.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thank you so much for your post! :3

Yeah, I've been looking around google and QJ, but haven't come up with much. I'm surprised at what you say about SNES emulation... on my Phat, I haven't had any problems with the 2 games I tried... (Earthbound and SMB3).

As for the Time Machine stuff, if it can install 1.5 kernel compatibility but keep her PSP at 4.01m33, then I'm all for it. However, I don't think that's how it works. But yes, TM is compatible with the PSP Slim. That I know for a fact.

Chedderknight

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you go to Google, and type in PSPslim Hacks, it should give you a site with most of the homebrew emulators updated for the slim, as of now I have the updated SNES/GBA/psp Revolution, however I'm having trouble finding a NES emulator for the slim

BTW: I'm running 4.01 M33-2

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Try this, it's a pack containing a bunch of slim compatible emulators:
http://files.filefront.com/3xx+Emu+packrar...;/fileinfo.html

I don't know if they are all up to date, but the last time I tried finding NES and GB/C emulators that worked on the Slim, I could only find them in this pack.

I have yet to find a website with a download database that's actually decent. Many of them tend to be outdated and almost never mention slim compatibility. And it doesn't help that many of the developers don't post releases on their own blogs/sites. Instead they post them in various forums, especially with several devs making "unofficial" releases when the original devs seem to be inactive. Instead of it all be centralized in one site, they get scatted across the net, making it difficult to find the latest versions sometimes.

mb01

Trophies
XP
Country
SNES: snestyl me edition - Works fine
GENESIS: Picodrive - Works fine
MASTER SYSTEM: SMS Plus - Works fine
GBA: GPSP - Works fine
NES: NesterJ - Works fine

All these emulators work perfectly with the slim and are all available from PSP Hacks and plenty of other sites too.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
@everyone: Well, the main thing for me was PSPr, but I seem to have found a really shady "PSP Revolution 0.4". It wasn't done by the official creators, it was done by some random guy that wanted to move it over to the Slim. So far, it's working perfect for me!

@Samutz: Thanks a lot, I'll download it right now and tell you what I think. Also, agree'd on the whole not finding a good database thing. I looked for PSP Slim homebrew, but they are all old and haven't been updated in forever.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I've got a Slim and the emulators are superb! I don't know what you're complaining about. Use the latest versions of emulators, don't use the firmware 1.50 versions.

for GB/GBC/SMS i use Masterboy
SNES - Snestyl me
Megadrive: Picodrive

And others.

Trippy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seriously, the PSP is has great emulation. I mean just being able to play PS games full speed is worth it right there. I'm playing PS games and GBA games at full speed right now.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Yeah, thank you everyone for you replies. I haven't tested everything yet, but so far I've gotten PSP r and SNES working. I've also never tried out playing PS games, so I'm gonna test that out right now.

One question... do PSP games run faster on the slim? Since it has twice as much RAM and all...

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
They load faster, not play faster. Some homebrew can use it to store more stuff in RAM instead of constantly streaming from the MS. (NeoGeo, nullDC etc)

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Homebrew works fine on slim. Stop sending your friend 1.50 stuff and there wouldn't be a problem. Better yet, tell him/her to look it up their damnselves.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh, wow. I had no idea there was a newish SNES9xtyl out. I hadn't really checked much. Whoops.

Warc, your emulators work well on your PSP because it's a phat and your emulators were built specifically for it. Whereas for the Slim, most emulators are ported across and it's not 100% perfect. I'd guess anyway.

Playing PS games (for me) works flawlessly, once you get around game-specific problems and all of course. But I'm sure it's the same on the phat as Slim.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Speaking of PS1 games, I have some trouble (didn't want to make a new thread)

I got the eboot for Resident Evil 3 for my friend's brother. (Same girl whose Slim i hacked, they share the PSP). Now, everything was fine, he ran the game, and it freezes the PSP at the PS logo screen.

They are on a Slim, running 4.01m33, and they have the following prx's activated.
390_vsh.prx [VSH]
popsloader.prx [VSH]
cxmb.prx [VSH]
390_game.prx [GAME]
390_game.prx [POPS]

Do they need all those on? Also, I noticed that when I run the PSX game, there SHOULD be a popsloader menu that comes up and lets me choose whichs pops firmware I want to run the game with, but it doesn't do it. I tried booting it normally, then tried again while holding the R button, then again while holding the L button, none of those worked.

delta123

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
try using popsloader and loading up a learlier pops version. i know that breath of fire 4 didnt work with me 3.90m33 firmware so i canged it back to 3.71 and it worked like a charm. to get popslaoder working up need all the old decrypted versions of the ealier pops. otherwise a menue will popup but it will still use your flash pops version.

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe the popsloader.prx isnt enabled in the configuration menu (pressing R while booting the PSP)?

The only PRX file needed for running version specific PSX isos is "POPSLOADER.PRX"...
The others there are for other things.

And delta123, are you using popsloader when you're running the BoF IV in 3.71? Do you use 3.40 in popsloader?
Coz i tried popsloader 3.40 and BoF wont work. Im using 3.90m33-2. So im thinking if i revert my CFW to 3.71, it would work. THanks!

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Guys, that's the problem. I can't load another pops version because when I click the game, nothing comes up. It just boots.

And yes, the popsloader.prx [VSH] is activated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.