Snes9xGx vs snes9xRx

cereal_killer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried the latest versions of both Snes9xGx and snes9xRx, didn't notice much of a difference. Is there one? Which one do you think is better and why?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
RX is a branch. Sort of like an Alternate if you'd like to see it that way.

There's many differences in performance, sppeds, compatibilities, featutes, filters, and possibly more changes that I'm ignoring.

Reason for ignorance is because I don't use any other than RetroArch.

But SNES9XGX was my preferred way to play SNES.

So, try whichever version you're more comfortable with. It all depends on you.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Snes9x GX uses a Snes9x core based on Snes9x 1.61 which it means better compatibility with games, improved Satellaview BS-X support and other things but it has a big (but tolerable) input lag.
Snes9x RX uses a Snes9x core based on Snes9x 1.52/1.53/1.56 which it means better speed on emulated SNES games on Wii, specially the chip-enanched ones such Super FX, SA-1, etc, and much less input lag.

Another fork, called Snes9x TX, uses a Snes9x core based on Snes9x 1.60/1.61 which it also means better compatibility with games, improved Satellaview BS-X support, MSU-1 support, and other things, also removes some useless/broken features, but adds some new features.

All of these have their pros and cons, but honestly i prefer using Snes9x TX.

Qaztab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if it's still the case but the main reason I have RX installed is that it runs some Super Famicom games that GX wouldn't.

Off the top of my head:

Mazinger Z (GX has no proper intro)
Koryuu No Mimi (I don't think this runs on GX at all)

Reactions: niuus

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Tried the latest versions of both Snes9xGx and snes9xRx, didn't notice much of a difference. Is there one? Which one do you think is better and why?
You probably don't play SNES too much, so to summarize: GX and TX suffer on Super FX timings (games run at the wrong speed), and some games on the library are not working.

Also on RX is BS-X Satellaview and MSU-1 100% supported, as all of the enhancement chips.

The rest of the differences, besides the themes on RX, can be read here.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/snes9x-rx-a-new-fork.527131/#post-8445320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to use GX for SNES games but one day it started to corrupt my save files for some reason. I now use TX and it works great for me. Honestly I wasn’t aware that an RX version existed.

Ouaz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
GX has a big input lag for me (testing it with Super Mario All Stars and Classic Controller), I almost can't rush levels, as jumps are not registered consistently. Actually, controller inputs lag in the GX menu itself. :wtf:

RX is A LOT more responsive (thank you Niuss), like night and day compared to GX (though the RX features say only minus 1 frame of input lag...)

Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool