Homebrew Snes9x GX 4.4.0 Beta - Feedback requested

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed it also it's because the game detects a hardware change so you need to restart it once. I had it when I was busy getting the fix for Kirby working. Don't worry about it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good to hear!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Good to hear!

I still have my Wii, I'd be more than happy to do some more testing :P

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know some of you use forwarders to load your emulators. Personally, I find launching them through Homebrew Launcher (via USBLoaderGX) much faster and organized. Thus, I've decided to share some tips for those running or are curious about running multiple Snes9x builds through Homebrew Launcher.

1) The apps list loads in alphanumerical order based on folder name. By adding a number contained within parenthesis to the beginning of an app's folder, like (02), that app will load ahead of every other app other than (00) and (01). This way you can move all of your emulators to the front rows of Homebrew Launcher in any order you wish. Note: I keep (00) freed up for testing purposes, so that way the test app always loads at the top of the list.

2) To make it easier to differentiate between different Snes9x builds, you can do so by editing your meta.xml file located in your each of your snes9x folders located in sd:/apps/. Each meta.xml contains text display tags in this format: <sample>Hello, world!</sample>

Below are some examples of what to change:

DEFAULT: <name>Snes9x GX</name>

This setting controls the app title that's displayed in Homebrew Launcher. If you're running one build for 'Compatibility' and another for 'Speed', you can change the name to reflect that usage.

DEFAULT: <version>4.4.2</version>

This setting is obviously the version number. Changing it to '4.4.2 (Snes9x 1.59.2)' for a compatibility build, or '4.3.9 (Snes9x 1.52)' for a speed build will give the user more useful info.

DEFAULT: <long_description>A port of Snes9x to the Wii.</long_description>

This setting is where you can display a list. It's especially useful displaying a list in the build you use the most. For example, if you use a compatibility build the most, you may want to have it display a mini-compatibility list like this:

(FPS issues/Use Speed build):
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy: Milon's Quest (T)
Kirby Dreamland 3
Parodius 4: Chatting Parodius Live! (J)
Star Fox
(Loads faster w/ older builds):
BS Shockman 4 (J)
(Glitches/Use Top Gear 3000 build):
Top Gear 3000
(Unknown status/crashed w/ older builds):
Final Fantasy VI
Secret of Mana 2 (T)

Note that each game name should have roughly 3 blank spaces at the start of each new line, but this forum automatically removes spaces at the start of each new line. So just pretend that they're there. Also, horizontal space is extremely limited here, which is why the formatting seems a bit unusual. Finally, I've uploaded a custom meta.xml to use as a starting point.

Attachments

• (custom)_meta_xml.zip
    583 bytes · Views: 0

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I know some of you use forwarders to load your emulators. Personally, I find launching them through Homebrew Launcher (via USBLoaderGX) much faster and organized. Thus, I've decided to share some tips for those running or are curious about running multiple Snes9x builds through Homebrew Launcher.

1) The apps list loads in alphanumerical order based on folder name. By adding a number contained within parenthesis to the beginning of an app's folder, like (02), that app will load ahead of every other app other than (00) and (01). This way you can move all of your emulators to the front rows of Homebrew Launcher in any order you wish. Note: I keep (00) freed up for testing purposes, so that way the test app always loads at the top of the list.

2) To make it easier to differentiate between different Snes9x builds, you can do so by editing your meta.xml file located in your each of your snes9x folders located in sd:/apps/. Each meta.xml contains text display tags in this format: <sample>Hello, world!</sample>

Below are some examples of what to change:

DEFAULT: <name>Snes9x GX</name>

This setting controls the app title that's displayed in Homebrew Launcher. If you're running one build for 'Compatibility' and another for 'Speed', you can change the name to reflect that usage.

DEFAULT: <version>4.4.2</version>

This setting is obviously the version number. Changing it to '4.4.2 (Snes9x 1.59.2)' for a compatibility build, or '4.3.9 (Snes9x 1.52)' for a speed build will give the user more useful info.

DEFAULT: <long_description>A port of Snes9x to the Wii.</long_description>

This setting is where you can display a list. It's especially useful displaying a list in the build you use the most. For example, if you use a compatibility build the most, you may want to have it display a mini-compatibility list like this:

(FPS issues/Use Speed build):
Do-Re-Mi Fantasy: Milon's Quest (T)
Kirby Dreamland 3
Parodius 4: Chatting Parodius Live! (J)
Star Fox
(Loads faster w/ older builds):
BS Shockman 4 (J)
(Glitches/Use Top Gear 3000 build):
Top Gear 3000
(Unknown status/crashed w/ older builds):
Final Fantasy VI
Secret of Mana 2 (T)

Note that each game name should have roughly 3 blank spaces at the start of each new line, but this forum automatically removes spaces at the start of each new line. So just pretend that they're there. Also, horizontal space is extremely limited here, which is why the formatting seems a bit unusual. Finally, I've uploaded a custom meta.xml to use as a starting point.
Cool, that should prove useful for new users!

Reactions: LumInvader

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, wouldn't that cause a conflict in settings between different SNES9Xs? At least that's what this post says in the Unofficial 1.52 thread:
@SieKensou: I'm working on it, but no results yet ^^

@rafaelsb: No because it would create a conflict in the settings, my version being very close to the official.
For that I advise you the RX version of niuus

Added test of GUI color change. Do you like ?

rafaelsb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Bladeoner, woud be possible to fix the game Song of the Angel(Tenshi no Uta: Shiroki Tsubasa no Inori) with the english translation patch(by Translation Corporation)? After you choose 'new game', the game continues to a black screen. Thanks for all your efforts to this awesome emulator.

Bladeoner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Bladeoner, woud be possible to fix the game Song of the Angel(Tenshi no Uta: Shiroki Tsubasa no Inori) with the english translation patch(by Translation Corporation)? After you choose 'new game', the game continues to a black screen. Thanks for all your efforts to this awesome emulator.

Does the game work without the patch?

LumInvader

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, does the translation patched ROM work with Snes9x for the PC?

rogerioronin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Não sei se vai se vai ser do seu interesse mas eu tenho este jogo na minha coleção e costumo jogar ele através do RetroArch, especificamente este núcleo aqui https://mundowiihack.wordpress.com/tag/snes9x-libretro/

Reactions: rafaelsb

Bladeoner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nope, not working without the patch, same problem. My bad for not checking this before, sorry.

Yes, it works, both patched and non patched ROM. Im using Snes9X 1.55.

Don't worry be happy I think it's because there is a hack applied for the game. Maybe it needs to be turned off or adjusted. I only have little time this week maybe the weekend but I need to check.

rafaelsb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Não sei se vai se vai ser do seu interesse mas eu tenho este jogo na minha coleção e costumo jogar ele através do RetroArch, especificamente este núcleo aqui https://mundowiihack.wordpress.com/tag/snes9x-libretro/

Opa é do meu interesse sim, Rogério. Obrigado como sempre, vou testar por esse emulador.

Don't worry be happy I think it's because there is a hack applied for the game. Maybe it needs to be turned off or adjusted. I only have little time this week maybe the weekend but I need to check.

Ok, take your time. Thanks.

Reactions: rogerioronin

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hey @Bladeoner, i made a quick adjustment and the game is now working, sound is effed up, though. I PM'd you the details.

@rafaelsb you can use the experimental Snes9x RX build here, second post. I didn't play too much, so it's up to you to know how far into the game you can go with this.

Last edited by niuus,

rafaelsb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Bladeoner Ok, with the new version you uploaded, sometimes i can get past the title screen, but the game freezes at the first conversation dialogue, sometimes after resetting or loading the game again, its happening the same as before, black screen after selecting new game or continue. Also, as @niuus mentioned, the sound is messed up. Thanks for looking into this.

Reactions: Bladeoner

Bladeoner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Bladeoner Ok, with the new version you uploaded, sometimes i can get past the title screen, but the game freezes at the first conversation dialogue, sometimes after resetting or loading the game again, its happening the same as before, black screen after selecting new game or continue. Also, as @niuus mentioned, the sound is messed up. Thanks for looking into this.

Thank you for testing, sounds like there are video/audio sync issues. Which means it needs the hack I removed is necessary. But the value to speed things up or slow it down is unknown yet and need some testing.

Bladeoner

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Uploaded a new file Snes9x.GX.4.4.2.zip, this contains the latest changes.

This is no new attempt to fix Tenshi no Uta, that will take time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Imma make quesadillas for lunch :D +1