Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

TheGag96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The idea has been brought up even with blargSNES, but there are issues with doing it. Location and size of the texture cache is one of them. The amount of polygons for a single frame is another. It all amounts to the GPU becoming the bottleneck, imo, enough to where the game may not even run at 60fps. that's not including that not all games could handle 3D very well, as some are designed in a way that could cause "cracks" to form at the seams of tiles.

That's not to say it's impossible. It just requires a lot of work, and a different method to rendering. Based on StapleButter's work, we have a working method to render a luminous texture (typically used for bumpmapping) as if it's a 256-color paletted texture with optional transparency. A thread I made some time ago requested help for anyone that understands bumpmapping to see whether it's possible to "rotate" the palette LUTs in either the vertex/geometry shader. If it could, then that would immensely help in the effort. It would reduce the "cache" by a LOT, allowing this cache to be transferred to VRAM in much less time, and because it would be in a paletted form, changes in the palette would be easier to handle, with no need t

Could you fill me in a little bit more as to how the rendering works? Was it that each tile in each layer was made up of two polygons or something...? If you could separately render each layer to a texture with this new method like you said, wouldn't depth be just a matter of recopying the layer onto each buffer at slightly different points on-screen? Or am I totally off? (thanks lol)

tabnk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try it on my O3DS, it work pretty well :). Better speed than the catSFC on DsTwo card.

Keep up the good work.

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@KJ1 - I doubt I will add an option to turn off the 3DS from the menu. :) Doesn't seem like it's absolutely necessary, not at this point.

@TheGag96 - Yes it's pretty much what you said. But other than drawing things twice (which means rendering will end up being slower), there are other problems related to SNES's layers. Tiles in each layer can have two priorities... meaning some tiles in a same layer appear at a lower depth, some higher. And then other layers and sprites interleave in between. I find that it may actually look a little disorienting when some of these tiles from the same layer appear near to you than others.

I don't know, but I think I am just giving excuses, because I don't think this is something I will want to venture into. :rofl2:

But if anyone wants to try, source codes are available! :)

Last edited by bubble2k16,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just tried it myself (USA ver), it works smoothly and without any issues. Though it says 59.8 fps (30 skipped), don't really know what that means.
it means it has to skip drawing about every other frame to reach a speed of 60fps, making animations look just a little choppy. though that shouldn't be that big a deal for a game like that.

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
@KJ1 - I doubt I will add an option to turn off the 3DS from the menu. :) Doesn't seem like it's absolutely necessary, not at this point.

@TheGag96 - Yes it's pretty much what you said. But other than drawing things twice (which means rendering will end up being slower), there are other problems related to SNES's layers. Tiles in each layer can have two priorities... meaning some tiles in a same layer appear at a lower depth, some higher. And then other layers and sprites interleave in between. I find that it may actually look a little disorienting when some of these tiles from the same layer appear near to you than others.

I don't know, but I think I am just giving excuses, because I don't think this is something I will want to venture into. :rofl2:

Yup, you are right! Keep up the good work btw!

TheGag96

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Ah, I see. Stuff like this is as never as simple as it seems lol! :S I wonder if this method would work better on something like an NES emulator, though it might have that interleaving stuff too...

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@mqk9999 - Thanks! But I am good, just busy with work that also involves a heavy dose of development too. :) v0.63b didn't require a lot of coding, so it's still good.

Besides, apart from compatibility issues with patched ROMS and sound problems (which the original Snes9x 1.43 also has issues with), I think there's only 1 issue with high importance left in this port that I have to resolve: sprite layering.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@CrashMidnick - You might want to give this version a go to see if you can repro the DKC tile corruption problem. Keep me posted.

I played about half an hour and it seems to be fixed :) Many thanks Bubble ! I need to check with my Girl Friend's 3DS, it seems that the fix is slowing down DKC1, I will install the 0.62 and check FPS before telling something wrong ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson