SNES VC on an old 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by WaflCake, May 11, 2016.

1. WaflCake
    OP

WaflCake Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2013
    United States
    Sorry if I'm not the first one to ask this, but this is just something I recently thought of.

Is it virtually possible to optimize the SNES Virtual Console games to work with the older 3DS models?

Not to make it a Homebrew app, but as an actual .cia/.3ds that can run on a O3DS. At lease an inject.

I mean we have BlargSNES to prove that it's possible to run these games, so doesn't it make sense to take it a step further?

(unless this is already in progress and I'm late to the party again)

2. kristiansja

kristiansja Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2016
    Norway
    honestly, do yo not think nintendo would optimize it and sell it for more money if they could? honestly

3. Hector_of_Troy

Hector_of_Troy GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2016
    Italy
    We don't have the source code of Nintendo's snes emulator so not very likely :( but definitely not impossible

4. MRJPGames

MRJPGames Pretty great guy

Aug 17, 2013
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Definitely impossible, as the dev of blagSNES has said multiple times (and you would have found this if you google'd before making this thread) it WILL NOT WORK. The reason blargSNES works okay to good on o3DS is because it uses hardware (gpu) rendering, this is fast but inaccurate. The official SNES VC uses software rendering which is slow, but very accurate. SNES emulation simply can't be done accurately on o3DS due to the fact it is using software rendering, which is totally different from hardware rendering and for this reason the VC and blargSNES cannot be compared as far as performance is concerned.

5. dubbz82

dubbz82 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2014
    United States
    Running SNES VC at o3ds clockspeeds proves that this will never be viable. At best you end up with 15fps or so, along with REALLY choppy audio. Either settle on other emulators such as blarg, or sell your current one and pay the difference. N3ds is a lot nicer from many prospectives anyways.

6. dankzegriefer

dankzegriefer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 19, 2015
    United States
    No. The end.