SNES & N64 Flash Linkers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Jun 4, 2009.

Jun 4, 2009

SNES & N64 Flash Linkers by Another World at 8:54 AM (17,762 Views / 0 Likes) 67 replies

1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG] SNES & N64 Flash Linkers
    NeoFlash
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

NeoFlash has announced working versions of both a SNES and N64 Flash Linker. The kits support saving, PC-to-USB flashing, and a boasted 99% compatibility. ToToTek has had various working linkers for years (SNES, MD, SMS, GG, etc). However, their bare PCB versions have flown below the radar. Hopefully NeoFlash can deliver on their compatibility claims and offer mainstream linkers which fit into normal cart-shells. For more information on the linker specs see the links below.

Thanks to soulanger & chuckstudios via IRC for the news!​

[​IMG] SNES Myth Cart
    [​IMG] N64 Myth Cart
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. thejokerss

Newcomer thejokerss Member

This is something i always wanted to have, had diskstations for my consoles back in the 90s.

Even though i can play those 2 consoles perfectly emulated on my PC, there is something cool about sitting in your couch with the original joypads looking at a big screen TV [​IMG]

good to know when plugging in a cartridged with the needed DSP that all games will work, means ill check ebay for the cheaper carts with the needed DSPs [​IMG]

3. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    From the Engrish website for these things, it says something about the case needing modifying. Whether this means the cartridge shell or the console itself, I'm not sure, but I think they mean the flash carts casing... Would suck to have to modify the consoles case.

4. Kamiyama

Member Kamiyama GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Now we're talking! I've been searching things like these forever to my SNES and N64!

5. KamuiX

Member KamuiX GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Hope to see the NES project too, supporting PAL consoles also

6. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    This is AWESOME.
    I've always wanted this for my good old N64!

7. Goshogun1

Member Goshogun1 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is awesome news! Every N64 emulator for PC has given me trouble for certain games. If this 99% compatibility is true, I am hoping this means an end to weird graphics glitches and other annoyances. Might finally drag my N64 out of storage after like 8 years. Can't wait till this comes out! [​IMG]

8. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    As I already said in the other thread....I'm really looking forward to those carts....
    I would get the SNES one for sure, and I'd even consider buying the N64 if I can get the cart, but I'm guessing that pricetag will be high for those..

9. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This is seriously beyond cool. I really hope they gets these perfected and put them out for sale.

10. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    As far as i know, this kit makes use of the neo² for storage.

I have all Tototek linkers and the all use LPT and the are slow to write to, these are USB, so it should be faster.
    Compatibility should be like most old snes backup devices, no special chipsets supported, only some DSP (mostly DSP-1) games when an original game with DSP is placed in the side slot (like those tototek linkers) (Original snes backup devices made use of a DSP adaptor for this)

N64 backup devices had the same thing, you needed to place an original cartridge with the right bootchip type (6103, 6106, 6105, ec...)

11. sweenish

Member sweenish GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    hopefully they're cheap. like really cheap.

because the snes is pretty much perfectly emulated, and you can get adapters and drivers to use a snes controller. tv-out and there you go. throw in an ntsc filter if you want old-time tv goodness. without needing a dsp cart or anything like that.

n64 is all the same except that you could crank up the resolution and filter the crap out of those textures. and once again, you don't need another cart to jump start it.

it's been awhile since i've tried my hand at n64 emulators. i believe they've come a long way from 3-4 years ago.

still great news for owners of the consoles, though.

12. santorix10

Member santorix10 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Too bad they couldn't get a real big FPGA to emulate the extra hardware like the PowerPak. (Though it would probably cost a lot...)

13. NeSchn

Member NeSchn GBAPimpdaddy.

United States
    [​IMG]

Depending on the price of these, I might get them!

14. Frozen_Fish

Member Frozen_Fish GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Definitely purchasing the SNES Linker, I've got Mario Kart which has DSP-1 so the only game that wouldn't be supported that i'd want to play is Super Mario RPG [​IMG]

15. MR_COW

Member MR_COW GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It has been freaking 4 years since they first announced these. We will see. I have 0% faith in Neoflash.

16. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    Sorry folks, but I have to rain on the parade and say this is NEOFLASH. Has anyone experienced the absolutely atrocity of their NDS carts? What on earth makes you think they're going to be able to produce SNES/N64 carts that are a) any better than the solutions already out there and b) going to work at all? They have the worst track record ever, and I for one wouldn't touch anything with their name on it with a ten foot pole.

17. Bonny

Member Bonny 34 years old and the leisure time of a kid

Germany
    Bare PCB Versions of TOTOTEK?!?!

I got a SMD and a SNES Flash Card from them. They are not Bare - you'll get a case.
    And this case has original Size and fits perfectly!

They are both working very good for me.

What's the Problem with ToToTek Cards ?!?!?!

18. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    Not to mentioned it's been like, what? 2 years since they first announced these things? Maybe more.

19. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    I have the SNES one as well. I think most people here are to new to remember NeoFlash, I would stay far, far, far away from these.

If you want a good SNES flash cart and have a parallel port get this ToToTEK and if you are in a PAL region buy a cheap game and get the CIC chip out of it and swap it or get a T-Connector and plug a PAL game in.

20. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    i do not know their ds carts.

but there are no flash carts for snes or n64 , right ?
    i only know of the disk based stations for snes, and the doctor v64 & derivates for n64

i would prefer the n64 version over the snes one, as snes games often used special chips whose functions cannot be reproduced without the real cart
    n64 did not have such games IIRC