Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
review.gif
Neo N64 Myth Cart Review
Review by amptor

GBAtemp member amptor has submitted his review of the Neo N64 Myth Cart by team Neoflash! Is this just a simple port of the SNES version, or will this give you a complete new experience? Find it out in this review! Thanks to IC2005 SmartShop for providing the review sample.

Please post any comments or questions in the discussion thread, linked below.

icon11.gif
 Read the review
discuss.png
 Discuss

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome review. The cart itself looks really nice, except for that ridiculous GBA slot crap. It actually seems like this would be perfect if it just had an SD slot and not some wonky Neoflash system.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ifish said:
amptoramtoramptor!!!

I love you pumping out reviews, left and fright!

I have been looking for an N64 cart
biggrin.gif

I'd recommend it if you are a diehard N64 fan. Emulators never got it down right. Hopefully some day we won't still need the original hardware though.

SylvWolf said:
Awesome review. The cart itself looks really nice, except for that ridiculous GBA slot crap. It actually seems like this would be perfect if it just had an SD slot and not some wonky Neoflash system.

Yeah the GBA stuff is kinda silly but they used good components and you can always buy another GBA cart if the FlashRAM ever dies. The old Bung V64 Jr used proprietary SIMMs, one would actually have to desolder the chips and replace them if anything ever went wrong. Plus you had to keep it powered to keep games in memory. This one requires no power source to do that.

QUOTE(iamthemilkman @ May 24 2010, 05:36 AM)
Damn, these things are like $200?
ohmy.gif

Yeah you have to consider that custom PCBs are not inexpensive to make especailly in short runs. The N64 has a niche audience so I wouldn't expect it to yield as high of a production run as say a DS flash cart for example. The V64 Jr 512Mbit cost $300 when it was available and the quality of Bung products has always been questionable besides their GBC and GBA offerings of course. Possibly even their NGPC backup device was good as well.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Darkmystery said:
Thanks for this review. I've been waiting for this.
smile.gif

It looks really nice. But I'll wait for the myth card with SD support. (It will probably be more expensive though)
Good job!

You could always buy it and the Neo 2 SD cart now and wait for the support to be added too if you want. Otherwise you can wait til it gets added. I haven't heard anything in a couple weeks about development but they say it is still being coded in the menu. I'd consider just buying it and a 1024M cart I guess. Actually the 1024M would be great in the SNES cart for the time being as those games are much smaller.

Julian Sidewind

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does this play Bomberman 64: The Second Attack perfect? Because every emulator I try it on doesn't play it 100%. You can't customize armor.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Julian Sidewind said:
Does this play Bomberman 64: The Second Attack perfect? Because every emulator I try it on doesn't play it 100%. You can't customize armor.

I see Custom Bomberman and if I played Story Mode first, then I can select the save in there. But it doesn't have any items yet. I'd have to get to a point in the game that unlocks some I guess. Let me know how that works and if that is the right place to be. I don't see any actual armor in the game really unless you are talking about this part which is probably his outfit. The game saved fine anyway.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
amptor said:
SylvWolf said:

Yeah the GBA stuff is kinda silly but they used good components and you can always buy another GBA cart if the FlashRAM ever dies. The old Bung V64 Jr used proprietary SIMMs, one would actually have to desolder the chips and replace them if anything ever went wrong. Plus you had to keep it powered to keep games in memory. This one requires no power source to do that.
Oh don't get me wrong. It's obviously better than the other solutions, probably the best available from what I read in your review. It's just that it seems, well to be honest, stupid to design it with that GBA system in mind. SD capability might have taken longer or been more expensive to implement, but from what I understand it took quite a while to get to market and it's already pretty pricey. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 or something for SD support, and I shouldn't have to mention the reasons, both short- and long-term.

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
meh SD support and for me its sold

EDIT

anyone know around what time the cart with SD support will be released?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
somedrunkenidiot said:
meh SD support and for me its sold

EDIT

anyone know around what time the cart with SD support will be released?

According to " them ", it will be "soon implemented".
Judging from their history of broken promises and over priced, under performing gadgets, it might as well never happen.
I'm staying away from this crap.
An over prised old GBA cartridge with limited memory and slow transfer rates mandatory to use this thing to play old N64 games >?
In 2010 ?
Really, come on neo-crap at its best.

Good review though, unfortunately the quality of the review is far superior then the product itself .

D

Deleted User

Thanks for the review amptor! Even though I don't own a N64 (partly because there was no 'good' flashcart solution until now) I enjoyed reading it.

jgu1994 said:
I would love this but 200 bucks? If it was 50 I would bite, but not 200.
200 bucks isn't that much if you consider that you can play almost any N64 game with it, imo. We'll see if they keep their promises this time and when SD support is released I may end up buying one.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There is a Neo 2 Pro that comes with 1024M of flash memory and an SD slot inside now. that can hold you off until they come out with the SD support since in that case you will already have the hardware necessary plus can already be using the cart for the time being.

Also, as far as the price goes, if you get a group buy together it shaves off $40 per unit. Some people have been doing this. I'm thinking that some stores should stock up on quantities and pass the savings off to consumers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fellow EST resident here, it's noon for me too