Neo N64 Myth Cart Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by tj_cool, May 20, 2010.

May 20, 2010

Neo N64 Myth Cart Review by tj_cool at 4:36 PM (4,161 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. tj_cool
    OP

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    [​IMG] Neo N64 Myth Cart Review
    Review by amptor

[​IMG]

GBAtemp member amptor has submitted his review of the Neo N64 Myth Cart by team Neoflash! Is this just a simple port of the SNES version, or will this give you a complete new experience? Find it out in this review! Thanks to IC2005 SmartShop for providing the review sample.

Please post any comments or questions in the discussion thread, linked below.

[​IMG] Read the review
    [​IMG] Discuss

2. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    amptoramtoramptor!!!

I love you pumping out reviews, left and fright!

I have been looking for an N64 cart [​IMG]

3. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    Awesome review. The cart itself looks really nice, except for that ridiculous GBA slot crap. It actually seems like this would be perfect if it just had an SD slot and not some wonky Neoflash system.

4. iamthemilkman

Member iamthemilkman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Damn, these things are like $200? [​IMG]

5. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    Yeah you have to consider that custom PCBs are not inexpensive to make especailly in short runs. The N64 has a niche audience so I wouldn't expect it to yield as high of a production run as say a DS flash cart for example. The V64 Jr 512Mbit cost $300 when it was available and the quality of Bung products has always been questionable besides their GBC and GBA offerings of course. Possibly even their NGPC backup device was good as well.

6. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    Thanks for this review. I've been waiting for this. [​IMG]
    It looks really nice. But I'll wait for the myth card with SD support. (It will probably be more expensive though)
    Good job!

7. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    You could always buy it and the Neo 2 SD cart now and wait for the support to be added too if you want. Otherwise you can wait til it gets added. I haven't heard anything in a couple weeks about development but they say it is still being coded in the menu. I'd consider just buying it and a 1024M cart I guess. Actually the 1024M would be great in the SNES cart for the time being as those games are much smaller.

8. Julian Sidewind

Member Julian Sidewind GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Does this play Bomberman 64: The Second Attack perfect? Because every emulator I try it on doesn't play it 100%. You can't customize armor.

9. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I see Custom Bomberman and if I played Story Mode first, then I can select the save in there. But it doesn't have any items yet. I'd have to get to a point in the game that unlocks some I guess. Let me know how that works and if that is the right place to be. I don't see any actual armor in the game really unless you are talking about this part which is probably his outfit. The game saved fine anyway.

10. rikuumi

Member rikuumi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Kinda awesome.. I just own a SNES

11. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    Look at my previous review in the reviews section for Neo SNES Myth Cart.

12. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    Oh don't get me wrong. It's obviously better than the other solutions, probably the best available from what I read in your review. It's just that it seems, well to be honest, stupid to design it with that GBA system in mind. SD capability might have taken longer or been more expensive to implement, but from what I understand it took quite a while to get to market and it's already pretty pricey. I wouldn't mind paying an extra $50 or something for SD support, and I shouldn't have to mention the reasons, both short- and long-term.

13. fartos32

Member fartos32 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    meh SD support and for me its sold

EDIT

anyone know around what time the cart with SD support will be released?

14. overlord00

Member overlord00 A motherfucking birdplane

Australia
    MOAH SD SUPPORT!

15. jeklnoo

Member jeklnoo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Neoflash is known for putting out over-priced, under-featured crap. They've been around for years.

16. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy

According to " them ", it will be "soon implemented".
    Judging from their history of broken promises and over priced, under performing gadgets, it might as well never happen.
    I'm staying away from this crap.
    An over prised old GBA cartridge with limited memory and slow transfer rates mandatory to use this thing to play old N64 games >?
    In 2010 ?
    Really, come on neo-crap at its best.

Good review though, unfortunately the quality of the review is far superior then the product itself .

17. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I would love this but 200 bucks? If it was 50 I would bite, but not 200.

18. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    Thanks for the review amptor! Even though I don't own a N64 (partly because there was no 'good' flashcart solution until now) I enjoyed reading it.

200 bucks isn't that much if you consider that you can play almost any N64 game with it, imo. We'll see if they keep their promises this time and when SD support is released I may end up buying one.

19. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    There is a Neo 2 Pro that comes with 1024M of flash memory and an SD slot inside now. that can hold you off until they come out with the SD support since in that case you will already have the hardware necessary plus can already be using the cart for the time being.

Also, as far as the price goes, if you get a group buy together it shaves off $40 per unit. Some people have been doing this. I'm thinking that some stores should stock up on quantities and pass the savings off to consumers.

20. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    Great review amptor!

200 is really pricey for me, id consider it if it was around 100 or 120 but its more worth it to me to track down the few n64 carts I don't have but still want at stores.