SNES HDTV troubles

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are there any ideas that i can do without spending lots of money? i have been looking around online and people are saying that some new HDTV's only take 480i at the lowest and the SNES is a 240i signal
any way to fix this?
It's 240p, it's progressive scan. 480i displays 240 lines per pass: The even set of lines are offset to fill in the spaces between the odd, with the two successive interlaced fields comprising one frame at 30Hz. With 240p there is no interlacing, each pass contains an entire frame at 60Hz; resolution is halved and frame rate is doubled. Both 480i and 240p are the same frequency; NTSC SD TVs had a fixed scan frequency of 15.75kHz. 240i makes no sense as it would be half the scan frequency of 480i and would likely damage a 480i TV. The SNES was capable of 480i 'high res' output, mostly for static screens. RPM Racing was one of the few 480i games.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Could i just get your sound adapter run the snes thru my computer then plug my computer into my tv via HDMI and then use my computer speakers for sound? that would be much cheaper!

At that point an emulator will be outperforming your efforts. the amount of times the signal is being interpreted and changed in that setup will cause considerable lag and will downgrade your video quality. your real cheapest option is to go on craigslist or something and buy a crt tv which can be had for 20 or under. anything else and you are paying to make compromises in some way. When my classic gaming tv dies (a floor model with s-video that doubles as an hdtv stand) I will be spending 100 dollars for a device to add scanlines to what i'm playing and go from scart-component to scart-vga. then again I'm a purist so I don't mind spending the money to get as authentic an experience as possible.

Also... NEVER EVER make a analogue signal into a digital one. This guarantees input lag that can make games as simple as super Mario world hard to unplayable.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Unless you're willing to drop the cash on something like an XRGB-mini Framemeister I would recommend just grabbing an older TV, ideally a CRT but a lot of HDTVs can still do a half decent job of it.

Reactions: J-Machine

Clairjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will probably try to just use the other TV's in the house when my family isn't home. and play dreamcast, 360, wii, ps2, or ps3 when they are :/ i wish i could just have it plugged into my tv like it is supposed to.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your real cheapest option is to go on craigslist or something and buy a crt tv which can be had for 20 or under.

Too bad he doesn't live near I do, I'm giving a 22" Mitsubishi CRT away lol.

To build off of that Craigslist idea, look at the "giving/free" section of Craigslist for your area if you decide to go that route. People are literally giving away older TVs like that, like I am. Freecycle is a good site to check out too.

Only problem is it isn't the most space-efficient option. But I would really say that your best bet is gonna be to just emulate it then. Emulate, use one of these if you want the controller, and just call it a day. ZSNES also supports, among various filters, artificial scanlines. The screenshot below shows Earthbound running with 25% scanlines added.

Carnivean

STARMAN
Trophies
XP
Country
Too bad he doesn't live near I do, I'm giving a 22" Mitsubishi CRT away lol.

To build off of that Craigslist idea, look at the "giving/free" section of Craigslist for your area if you decide to go that route. People are literally giving away older TVs like that, like I am. Freecycle is a good site to check out too.

Only problem is it isn't the most space-efficient option. But I would really say that your best bet is gonna be to just emulate it then. Emulate, use one of these if you want the controller, and just call it a day. ZSNES also supports, among various filters, artificial scanlines. The screenshot below shows Earthbound running with 25% scanlines added.
That snes adapter is pretty atrocious input delay wise (as are most ones listed on places like amazon I've tried), get a retrousb one or don't get one at all.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY