SNES HDTV troubles

Clairjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a softmodded wii and i wuld just use my SNES emulator that i already have on that (and will use for games that are too expensive for me at the moment) but i would prefer using the actual system and collecting the games. how much are upscalers?

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the problem here is that your hdtv is unable to pick up the 240i signal the snes gives off using composite. You don't need a vga converter, what you need is one of 3 options (from cheapest to most expensive:

1. An upscaler. This will turn the signal to at least a 480i or higher. some force widescreen though so be careful
2. Scart to component/vga. You will need to buy RGB style scart cable for the snes (you are looking for the japanese 21 pin variety especially) This will then go into a Scart splitter and then into a scart to whatever converter.
3. Modify the console to natively give off component (This can be the cheapest method of the 3 if you can solder and have he parts lying around or someone is willing to do it for a fair price)

the reason why 2 and 3 can work is because the snes can give off 480i if given the proper connections to output the signal. however RF - svideo tend to keep things at the weaker signal. If you are not a purist though Just get a softmodded wii and maybe one of these: http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31

I've always wanted to try Scart to Component. I just recently picked up a CRT HDTV and it's been awesome for S-Video and the Wii, But component snes would be perfect.

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have a softmodded wii and i wuld just use my SNES emulator that i already have on that (and will use for games that are too expensive for me at the moment) but i would prefer using the actual system and collecting the games. how much are upscalers?

Getting the Japanese SCART for the SNES is about Twenty on ebay. The SCART converter is about 50 on amazon. It may be worth it in the long run. But it's much more expensive than the composite to vga converters I posted earlier.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've always wanted to try Scart to Component. I just recently picked up a CRT HDTV and it's been awesome for S-Video and the Wii, But component snes would be perfect.
Be prepared for an expensive ride. I cheaped out on my parts and I still ended up 130 bucks in the hole (though more than half of this was in shipping alone thanks to getting everything from europe.) However it is a no mod option. Tomorrow I pick up the converter to test everything out though so I can't wait to try it and will post it on the forums.

also to answer the upscaler question. For this kind of application $40.00 or more can be considered breaking the bank. as long as it gives you 480p you are golden. also digital converters (ones that use hdmi) tend to introduce both lag and a forced widescreen making for a poor game experience. seriously anything but that will do fine since you have one of the poorest video connectors to work with via the composite av out.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Getting the Japanese SCART for the SNES is about Twenty on ebay. The SCART converter is about 50 on amazon. It may be worth it in the long run. But it's much more expensive than the composite to vga converters I posted earlier.
the cable should be around 10 or less. unless of course you are talking about shipping included or an official cable which is very hard to find. heck you could try play asia. they got one for 4 bucks though I can't comment on the quality.

Reactions: deshayzilla

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be prepared for an expensive ride. I cheaped out on my parts and I still ended up 130 bucks in the hole (though more than half of this was in shipping alone thanks to getting everything from europe.) However it is a no mod option. Tomorrow I pick up the converter to test everything out though so I can't wait to try it and will post it on the forums.

Yeah I'm going to wait until I have extra cash and get Earthbound. That game will look awesome on my tv!

Reactions: Clairjoe

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the cable should be around 10 or less. unless of course you are talking about shipping included or an official cable which is very hard to find. heck you could try play asia. they got one for 4 bucks though I can't comment on the quality.

Yeah if you do a little digging around the internet, you should be able to do this for a good price.

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think composite to VGA is the best option. (you don't need the other 2 for it to work right?)
you need to make sure whether the HDTV will be able to read whatever signal the vga converter gives it. check the tv's specs and compare it to the output options on the box you are willing to buy. neat thing about this option though is if you have a pc monitor and speakers this isn't a problem. you will need this adaptor for the sound though: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7190&seq=1&format=2.

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this guaranteed to work? I don't want to spend $27 on something that won't work
Yes this method will work. I can't comment on the quality of the product. It will however do what you need it to do. Worse comes to worse you can always return it.

Clairjoe

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have currently been using my EasyCap to play the SNES on my computer. it i would rather play it on my TV thought because its distorted on the computer and there is no sound for some reason

J-Machine

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the converter will work better on a pc monitor cause the monitor will be able to handle the resolution without any trouble. the sound needs to be independent of the video signal though due to vga not carrying them. video distortion tends to come from incompatible analogue resolutions or very poor connection conversions/interference from it. the vga upconverter box will work perfectly with just about any monitor but might not be compatible with the HDTV. the problem here is you need to work around your tv's limitations which is giving you few options find out what your tv can do and then look for a solution. buying things before that can be a gamble.

if things are unresolved when I wake up (it's almost 1:30 here) I'll help further and give links but we need to know more about the tv.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1