Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, YES. I would LOVE to see more SNES homebrew love; if you're serious with this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do.
wub.gif

The SNES is one of my favorite systems.
happy.gif

(inb4AnotherWorld posts "HELL YES")

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Wow thanks for such quick and positive feedback!

I think I will go for it!

But it might be a while before I have anything to show.

As for mode7 I never really liked it. I may add it in but I won't promise anything this early in the development because I haven't even started yet!

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
YoshiInAVoid said:
Wow thanks for such quick and positive feedback!

I think I will go for it!

But it might be a while before I have anything to show.

That's alright. Just keep us updated here, and Maybe give us a screenie every now and then if you can.
wink.gif

I am really looking forward to this, and I know MANY other people here would too (even though they have not posted).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know the snes is roughly in line with the GBA in many regards so that gives some hope but I have reservations about the viability of any high level languages unless you head either down the ZZT/basic esque path or kick it to scripting level.

Still pull it off and first round is on me.

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Now that would be awesome! I'd love to see SNES homebrew games.

You sir, had a really good idea!

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
I am fine with the program side of things, but getting it to compile is a little difficult, the only SNES compiler I could find that didn't have a dead link and that was in C was "snesc". All the others are in ASM... Eeeewww.

The problem with snesc though is that it has virtually no functions at all other than to load a sprite and background, but it doesn't include the graphic converter so I can only load the example ones.

I would be better off just using the compiler and making my own libary but that would take a bit longer.

Oh well I'll try and work on the program now and add in compiling a bit later.

I'll post a screenshot soon once I have moved the layout of the treeview and log around a bit, because at the moment they are a bit messally (I hope that's a work) placed.

EDIT:

"I hope they go through with it."
There is no "they", just me.

MaximusDecemus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like a great idea. I loved the snes too! This could lead to some interesting games and ideas. Good thinking yoshiinavoid! Please keep us informed about your progress. Thanks.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
I don't think visual basic is going to help you much for a SNES game maker. Your options are very limited for SNES coding, either ASM, which is an absolute pain to learn on the SNES (everyone recommends learning on x86 first then learning SNES ASM) or C, however, it is a real pain to get SNES C to compile under windows, linux is easier to set up, but for a lot of people, that means using a virtual pc emulator.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Ok, I have done alot since I started.

The program has a nice interface which can save and load .sgm files. There is a treeview displaying: "Codes" (Rooms + Scripts), "Graphics" (Sprites + Backgrounds), and "Sounds" (Music + Effects), you can move resources up and down and add new ones and delete them. If you double click one it will load the resource editor, so if you click on a Room it will load the Room editor, and if you click a background it loads the background editor and so on. I have spent alot of time testing the program and all bugs that I found I have fixed, so it is really stable. There is also a log saying what the program is doing rather than not telling you or having loads of anoying Message box's popping up. You can actually compile your project however it is quite limited at the moment since all it can't yet convert graphics so no backgrounds or sprites yet. After it has compiled it logs if it was a success, or if it wasn't. If it successfully compiled then it runs your project through the included emulator.

There are several reasons why I want to wait before realising this:

-I don't know if the emulator is copywrited so I can't include it,
-The program is still very limited and I don't want people to download it and then say it sucks because it can't do much,
-I haven't made an installer for it yet.

But as soon as I have sorted these problems all out I will release version 0.0!

EDIT:

Sorry for not answering you. It will infact be coded in ASM however the user doesn't need to know how to use ASM since it will all be simply: Click "Add Room" rather than typing in the Room into the code and everything. Although I have had very little experience with ASM I can add rooms in the code and add text and such so I can do the basics, but as I write the rest of the program I will become more farmiliar to ASM and natually I will have learned how to do certain things that I could not do before.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Oh no double post!

Anyway, I've got enough done that I can finally show something to you... Not just a screenshot, a whole video!

I am uploading a video taken with hypercam of me making a "Hello world" for the SNES though SNES Game Maker, but it is taking for ever to upload! So I will edit this post when the video is up.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t91eUU6YHg

Tada!

Basically you have Rooms which each perform certain code, this code is set in a script; so each room has a list of scripts that it will perform. That will help you understand the vid because it's kinda confusing!

Also, you have an SNES Flashcard, PM me!

Oh and as for sound, you can see in the video that it has the section "Sounds" which contains "Music" and "Effects", so yes, I will add in sound support.

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
So something like this -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7GlgY99abA -- should be possible to make using your creator?

I gave up trying to learn ASM on the SNES, I managed to place a handful of tiles on the screen but it started getting complicated after that. I did the above in C, but as far as I could tell, there is no example anywhere for adding audio in C and not much for ASM either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0