Homebrew Snes emulator

naveedy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey i was reading uberpubert69's thread, and I couldnt help but leave a comment about it but the thread was closed. I am actually on his side, i think he has the right to express how he feels impatient, even if it is wrong to bash him, it is freedom of speech. Which is really awesome about the internet, its one of the only places you can get away with free speech besides living in America.

I really want that snes emu for the DS to continue too. I cant get any of the translated japanese games to work for the snes emu. only on the computer. I really hope that dude gets the message that there are people out there that really really appreciate his work. I mean i love him so much like a god. But i do think it is lame that he is off working on some other emulator that is not as wanted by many people, but i do understand maybe he is doing it for himself.

I am not bashing the developer of the emulator, he is probably doing it for himself as a hobby and not for others. but i still want him to know how much people appreciate his emulator and how badly we want him to continue it. I mean I love him so much for what he has done so far, almost all the games work.

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most coders abandon their projects because of real life issues, which normally involves money (or because they don't feel motivated to continue it anymore).
He has mentioned that he has been busy working, so my guess is that it involves money.
So as Another World suggested, giving him enough money to encourage him to continue his project so he doesn't have to worry about money is a good idea.

Give him a months pay and I bet you're gonna have an awesome update within a month
wink.gif

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
The problem with uperpuberts threads was that they were basically just him calling all coders lazy for not taking up SnemulDS (which ISN'T open-source as he claimed, Snemul is) because there were games he wanted to play that it couldn't. There was no respect there, just demands. Yours is a little different.

I'm not trying to flame you here but I just want to put something across that's been bugging me about the homebrew scene for a while.

Alot of people these days don't seem to respect the fact that homebrew coders don't actually work for them, they seem to assume that a project is being worked on for their pleasure instead of the coders pleasure. You say in your post that you think it's lame that he's working on a project that not as many people want. How do you know not as many people want it? So far I've only seen two complaints about him working on it instead of SnemulDS, yours and uberpuberts.

You're right when you say that homebrew coding is a hobby. Most of them are doing it to sharpen their skills or just to see if they can do it. It could be the new emulator is more challenging for him. It's also possible that coding the new emulator will help with SneumlDS. More optmized routines, a better understanding of how the DS works, that kind of thing. You've gotta remember how hard it is for homebrew coders to work on the DS, specially a project as difficult as SnemulDS. They've got no official documentation, libraries or anything like that. It's alot of trial and error.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^^Tottally agree with Trolleydave above. I use to code somethings for fun (no game stuff, but some windows apps, a talker, etc...) and it can get to be a lot of work. You can spend hours engrossed in coding and then suddenly realize it's already the next day. Which is fine if you have nothing else to do, but when the demands of the real world come crashing in, somethings got to give.

Also, when I was coding I did it for myself, and then just happened to release it. For instance back in the day, I wrote a win9x security app because I was sick of my roommate using my computer without asking, and the ones I could find sucked. Then I thought other people might like it too, so I put it out there as freeware. But ultimately, I did it for myself... once I started beta testing xp, I no longer needed it. So, I stopped working on it. People would have to live with version 4.01a. Did it still have a few bugs? Yes. Did it work fine for what it needed to do though? Again, yes.

Now, if it had been my job to keep it going and somebody was paying me to do it, that would have been different. But since they weren't, I moved on to other things that interested me more. These days, I haven't done any coding in years, as it hasn't struck my fancy. But, that could change someday.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i've spend most of my time now writing addons to mirc so that i can make irc life function in 1 click intervals. my irc is so tweaked out now i can do almost everything without having to take my hands off of the keyboard. and i know what its like to get into a project and all of a sudden you are only going to get 4hrs of sleep before work. on the same token when you sit down and start to think about how much work you need to put into something to get it done you end up not doing it because of time constraints. i've been looking into ds dev a bit and i have a few small apps i'm going to write this winter. but even as i plan them out in my head for months i know i won't have the time to sit down and code. when you really get into something you don't want to leave it half done before bed. you tend to set milestones where you get 1 button working for example, and until its working and fully debugged you just don't get up for anything. sigh. anyways there is mention that he wants to continue the project but for lack of time he isn't doing much. so perhaps if demand is still there and people make some donations he will get back to work on it. if not, well, be happy it can play a nice handful of roms with basic layering issues. my ds was never designed to play snes, and if i can get just 10 roms to work on it thats 10 more games i can enjoy when on the go.

cheers,
-another world

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^^Or when everything works fine except for just that one bug you can't figure out. Drives you insane until you fix it....

Actually, the SuperNES emulator works fine for the games I personally want.... but then, people always get hung up on what they can't have... like the one game that won't work for them. As for me, I was thrilled when I found out I would be able to play stuff like Turtles IV anytime
smile.gif

naveedy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
The problem with uperpuberts threads was that they were basically just him calling all coders lazy for not taking up SnemulDS (which ISN'T open-source as he claimed, Snemul is) because there were games he wanted to play that it couldn't. There was no respect there, just demands. Yours is a little different.

I'm not trying to flame you here but I just want to put something across that's been bugging me about the homebrew scene for a while.

Alot of people these days don't seem to respect the fact that homebrew coders don't actually work for them, they seem to assume that a project is being worked on for their pleasure instead of the coders pleasure. You say in your post that you think it's lame that he's working on a project that not as many people want. How do you know not as many people want it? So far I've only seen two complaints about him working on it instead of SnemulDS, yours and uberpuberts.

You're right when you say that homebrew coding is a hobby. Most of them are doing it to sharpen their skills or just to see if they can do it. It could be the new emulator is more challenging for him. It's also possible that coding the new emulator will help with SneumlDS. More optmized routines, a better understanding of how the DS works, that kind of thing. You've gotta remember how hard it is for homebrew coders to work on the DS, specially a project as difficult as SnemulDS. They've got no official documentation, libraries or anything like that. It's alot of trial and error.

i completely agree with you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Carotenemia causes skin to appear orange-ish in color. Orange Pi. Carotenemia Pussy. Get it. lolol +1