Smash bros save data

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Quietlyawesome94, Dec 31, 2010.

Dec 31, 2010

Smash bros save data by Quietlyawesome94 at 11:56 PM (2,043 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Quietlyawesome94
    OP

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I recently received a Red wii for Christmas to replace a midnight launch wii from 2006. In that time I have unlocked everything possible for my two favorite games. Smash brisk brawl and mario kart wii. I've read up on save data transfer and was shocked to see that most online games have copy protection for their save data. Now can anyone tell me how to transfer my save data... btw Both my wiis are unhacked....

2. RNorthex

Member RNorthex GBAtemp Fan

Hungary
    they do yes, because some ppl i think kept copying mario kart licenses for example, to get 3stars and vegetascouter rating
    i think there is a homebrew for it, check the browser, though i only use GC mdders, i've seen one with ssbb and animal crossing if i'm not mistaken

3. Quietlyawesome94
    OP

United States
    Like I said both my wiis are unhacked.... to transfer my save would both wiis need to be hacked?

4. RNorthex

Member RNorthex GBAtemp Fan

Hungary
    a homebrew channel installed is enough
    no backup hack is required

5. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    It's not needed if you are on firmware 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2, which version do you have? You don't need the homebrew channel or something like that, I will give you the links then.

6. Centimetro

Member Centimetro GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hack them and get save manager app for homebrew channel

7. Quietlyawesome94
    OP

United States
    The red one is on the latest... And the launch wii is 4.3 but not the latest 4.3...

8. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    Is the launch wii a 4.3u?

9. Quietlyawesome94
    OP

United States
    Both of them are on 4.3u

10. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    Then you´ll need smashstack

But since you´ve got Smash Bros Brawl you can actually do it.

Smashstack executes a *.dol executable (Wii app) through Smash Bros Brawl Custom Stages.

This is the only thing you need to run unauthorized apps since you´re on 4.3.

And, SaveManagerGX( homebrew) allows you to backup any save file residing in your Wii, including those saves using 128 blocks .

11. Quietlyawesome94
    OP

United States
    Ok thanks, Do I just hack my old wii with the save file or do I need save managergx on both wiis?

12. Coto

Member Coto GBAtemp Addict

Chile
    You´d need to execute Savemanager GX on both Wiis.

But first, you´d need a cIOS installed to "do the breaktrough" to let SaveManager GX do its magic. When you execute smashstack, follow a guide to "unlock your wii" like Modmii. THEN you should try to use SaveManager GX.

13. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    savemanager GX wont work right away from smashstack. savemanager GX uses a cIOS to gain access to game save data.

you CAN do this without installing anything permanently on either wii ( except the save data ), but it will be a little more involved as there is not a single program written for this purpose. you would have to use a couple different ones.

14. EmbraceFiction

Member EmbraceFiction GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Though, if the Wii is brand-new; this will void the warranty by installing the Homebrew channel.

15. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    you dont need to even install HBC to get the save data. you can run a dol from bannerbomb and it will already have the necessary permission to read the SSBB save data. theres no cIOS or exploit needed. you also have permission to write save data for that game.

so, if it were me, and i wanted to do this without installing any homebrew, heres what i would do...

1) use smashstack on the old wii to start FTPii. as long as you use a recent version of the program ( one that doesnt reload IOS ) , it will be able to read the SSBB save data.

2) copy all that data to your PC using ftp.
    3) use the tools from sehger's git to pack the extracted saveinto a data.bin
    if you go this route, you will not be able to copy the stuff in the "NOCOPY" folder to the new wii. but i think thats only stuff that depends on WiFi anyways
    4) use the system menu on your new wii to install that data.bin

however, if you want to copy the stuff in the NOCOPY folder for whatever reason, you would want to do steps 1 and 2, but instead of creating a data.bin, you would want to run smashstack on the newer wii and start some little custom made program. and here you can write back all the game data including the NOCOPY folder.

16. Quietlyawesome94
    OP

United States
    Oh brother.... I might as well just hack my wiis for the sake of having Homebrew and use save managergx.