ROM Hack [Smash 3DS] Complete ROM Hacking guide (Textures, music, SFX/voice clips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can some one tell me the location of the portaits
ui/replace/chr/
This is where you'll find the portraits for characters on the custom move screen, battle portraits, character select icons, character name and stock icons as well as emblem/series icons located in the chr_mark folder (and maybe some other things I forgot about)
All the folders inside chr have .tex files in them so use the .tex viewer/replacer for them.

Last edited by WarioTails358,
Reactions: chaosrunner

Phanton

GBAtemp's Nui lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Does this replace music stuff work for other games like say, MK7?
Swapping MK7 RR for RR64 music is tempting af

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this replace music stuff work for other games like say, MK7?
Swapping MK7 RR for RR64 music is tempting af
Yes you can replace music in mk7 too.
The difference is that Smash uses .nus3bank
Files while Mario Kart 7 uses .bcstm files but the process should be the same when replacing files like renaming it for a specific course etc. (You can download the .bcstm format for a song you like on brawlcustommusic.)

Reactions: Phanton

Phanton

GBAtemp's Nui lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Yes you can replace music in mk7 too.
The difference is that Smash uses .nus3bank
Files while Mario Kart 7 uses .bcstm files but the process should be the same when replacing files like renaming it for a specific course etc. (You can download the .bcstm format for a song you like on brawlcustommusic.)
Yeah, I'm aware of brawlcustommusic, so cool.

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Some people probably know this but melee.msbt also contains the names of the characters on the victory screen.
Yeah, this was known but thanks for sharing with newcomers to the thread. and btw, instead of changing the string to S.O.N.I.C..T.H.E..H.E.D.G.E.H.O.G. Three '.'s makes a new line i believe. so maybe S.O.N.I.C..T.H.E...H.E.D.G.E.H.O.G. assuming that .. is a new space as i only worked with captain falcon haha

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this was known but thanks for sharing with newcomers to the thread. and btw, instead of changing the string to S.O.N.I.C..T.H.E..H.E.D.G.E.H.O.G. Three '.'s makes a new line i believe. so maybe S.O.N.I.C..T.H.E...H.E.D.G.E.H.O.G. assuming that .. is a new space as i only worked with captain falcon haha
Actually I did this with other characters (the space and to make a new line you use enter). And yes smash supports Japanese/Chinese text but if it doesn't support a symbol from that language then it shows as a question mark.
Here's a example with cloud using his Japanese name in symbols.
image.jpg

Yudowat

That one guy that shows up occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Actually I did this with other characters (the space and to make a new line you use enter). And yes smash supports Japanese/Chinese text but if it doesn't support a symbol from that language then it shows as a question mark.
Here's a example with cloud using his Japanese name in symbols.
Well, id never thought of using japanese characters. im sure it will be of use to someone haha

ImmyG93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been googling for hours and I have not been able to find a single decent guide on this or anyone who knows how to do this to help me. So I'm posting here and asking for help

I'm basically running RX Tools 10.6EMUNAND and 9.2 SYSNAND, and I'm making custom music for Super Smash Bros 3DS.

To Summarize:

I managed to edit the NUS3BANK files for the game's CIA and rebuild the CIA as a ROM then convert to CIA using Simple CIA 3DS Converter. I managed to rebuild the ROM into a CIA and the custom music is working almost perfectly (I still need to fix a few songs here and there). However, when I use the same method for the Update 1.1.4 DLC CIA file, it thinks the update is the game itself and wont let me install the Update unless i uninstall the game CIA. So in short, i can either install the game CIA or install the update, but not both.

I'm using the "RomFS" and "3DS Builder" java program to rebuild the decrypted CIA/3DS ROM into a .3DS file and am locating all the right .bin files it's asking for. But when I do the same for the DLC files, i convert it into a .3ds file then convert into CIA again using the usual XORPAD method. But it won't install on BigBlueMenu because only either the game's CIA will import or the DLC, but not both (my guess is it thinks both are the same?).

Would it be possible to just put all the decrypted files of the 1.1.5 update with all the files of the original decrypted ROM and then rebuild it as one combined ROM of the game and update together?'

Anyways help would be appreciated thank you

P.S. if you do have a guide for rebuilding CIA patches i'd love to see it because I want to rebuild the CIA patch ASAP so i can have custom music on copy of Sm4sh 3DS and install it instead of waiting.

I looked on this guide but it seems really complicated and I need a better explanation for rebuilding the update please.

Someone help me

HeartBound

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been googling for hours and I have not been able to find a single decent guide on this or anyone who knows how to do this to help me. So I'm posting here and asking for help

I'm basically running RX Tools 10.6EMUNAND and 9.2 SYSNAND, and I'm making custom music for Super Smash Bros 3DS.

To Summarize:

I managed to edit the NUS3BANK files for the game's CIA and rebuild the CIA as a ROM then convert to CIA using Simple CIA 3DS Converter. I managed to rebuild the ROM into a CIA and the custom music is working almost perfectly (I still need to fix a few songs here and there). However, when I use the same method for the Update 1.1.4 DLC CIA file, it thinks the update is the game itself and wont let me install the Update unless i uninstall the game CIA. So in short, i can either install the game CIA or install the update, but not both.

I'm using the "RomFS" and "3DS Builder" java program to rebuild the decrypted CIA/3DS ROM into a .3DS file and am locating all the right .bin files it's asking for. But when I do the same for the DLC files, i convert it into a .3ds file then convert into CIA again using the usual XORPAD method. But it won't install on BigBlueMenu because only either the game's CIA will import or the DLC, but not both (my guess is it thinks both are the same?).

Would it be possible to just put all the decrypted files of the 1.1.5 update with all the files of the original decrypted ROM and then rebuild it as one combined ROM of the game and update together?'

Anyways help would be appreciated thank you

P.S. if you do have a guide for rebuilding CIA patches i'd love to see it because I want to rebuild the CIA patch ASAP so i can have custom music on copy of Sm4sh 3DS and install it instead of waiting.

I looked on this guide but it seems really complicated and I need a better explanation for rebuilding the update please.

Someone help me
Don't rebuild the .cia each time, just use SaltySD. Read the part APPLYING PATCHES of the OP.

ImmyG93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically I use Salty SD, and take the CIA contents, and follow the "Applying Patches" part of the guide?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I should probably mention I have all the CIA files decrypted and just need to rebuild for installing the update patch

HeartBound

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So basically I use Salty SD, and take the CIA contents, and follow the "Applying Patches" part of the guide?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I should probably mention I have all the CIA files decrypted and just need to rebuild for installing the update patch
You install smash 1.1.0 with a .cia. You then update it with the file in the reddit post mentionned in APPLYING PATCHES. Then you put the updated content in the saltySD folder on your sd card. ONLY the changed files. Then, you create a cache with the python script to reduce loading time. After that, when you launch the game, it will replace the files in your saltysd folder with the original game. So when you make new changes, you onlt add them to the saltysd folder and refresh the cache. No need to play with .cia conversions

ImmyG93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OHHHHH! THAT makes so much more sense! Thank you so much! Why can't people give detailed explanations that are easy to understand like you ^_^

WarioTails358

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did this for fun and for my friend and he really thought Phoenix Wright was in Smash when he saw this!
#Wright For Smash!
(Also changed remix to old remix to differentiate it from the pink one for a new remix)
2z9mwdf.jpg

Reactions: GoldenEpic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol