Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
UPDATE: icySon made a better msbt editor, you can find it here

Hi, i was trying to do some edits to the super mario 3d land rom, and i found the text resources in a ,msbt format, as i saw this format is used also in the system settings app, and the eshop, also i saw somewhere that they are used in LoZ triforce heroes too (which i didn't test with this application).
So i made this simple app that can edit those files.

cWlMirb.png

Changes in v0.3:
-Now msbt files without names are supported
-Values shown in hex instead of decimal
Changes in the v0.2:
-Showing string names
-New lines are supported
-Showing the byte data of the string (read only)
-Support for drag and drop
-Support for command line args (like setting this app as the default one for msbt files)
-The strings are alphabetically sorted
-Some other minor things

This can't create msbt files from scratch because those contains data about where that string appears in game.
Also i included an LZ11 (De)compressor, because i found some .lz files in the eshop rom that were compressed, so it can be useful.

Github: here (it's name is 3DLandMSBTeditor because it was originally meant to edit the MSBT files inside 3d land)

Enjoy

Attachments

• MSBTeditor3.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 2,977
Last edited by exelix11,

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! Now I no longer have to use a hex editor and press the right arrow key after typing each character!

By the way this is useful for all Nintendo titles from the past 5 years, not just SM3DL, LoZ TFH, the System Settings, and the eShop. SMG 2 and LoZ SS also use this format, and so do all of Nintendo's 3DS and Wii U titles.

Also, have you tried analyzing similarly named formats?

LoZ SS also had some MSBF files and a decrypted NSMBU update had a MSBP file in it.

Last edited by I pwned U!,

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thank you! Now I no longer have to use a hex editor and press the right arrow key after typing each character!

By the way this is useful for all Nintendo titles from the past 5 years, not just SM3DL, LoZ TFH, the System Settings, and the eShop. SMG 2 and LoZ SS also use this format, and so do all of Nintendo's 3DS and Wii U titles.

Also, have you tried analyzing similarly named formats?

LoZ SS also had some MSBF files and a decrypted NSMBU update had a MSBP file in it.
Smg2 format is different than this, there was already an editor for that but it doesn't work on 3d land files
And I don't have roms of those games

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a lot!

BTW: Do you know why windows defender (not malwarebytes or virustotal so far though) thinks this is malware?

Last edited by Hiccup,

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
It hasn't appeared in any of the virus total scans. So nvm :P

I've added a little issue to github by the way. Nothing serious.

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Could you add support for message/string names? NWPlayer123's (Nikki's) editor has support for this, so maybe you could ask her for the source.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could you add support for message/string names? NWPlayer123's (Nikki's) editor has support for this, so maybe you could ask her for the source.
Editing string names will make the game not showing the strings
Edit: just checked, it doesn't edit names, just shows them i could add this

Last edited by exelix11,
Reactions: Hiccup

Hiccup

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks. Could you also make it so instead of displaying nothing, which could be interpreted as an error, it can tell you when a string has no text? Also could it tell you when a string doesn't have a name and tell you if there are not strings?

Last edited by Hiccup,

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks. Could you also make it so instead of displaying nothing, which could be interpreted as an error, it can tell you when a string has no text? Also could it tell you when a string doesn't have a name and tell you if there are not strings?
I think i can, now i'm busy, when i'll have time i'll had these things

Reactions: Hiccup

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could you add support for the .umsbt files that Animal Crossing uses?
Not sure about what kind of files they are, i don't have animal crossing, if you PM me some of those files (at least 2 or 3) when i'll have time i'll look into them, if the format is similar i might add support for them,have you tried opening them with this program ?

Reactions: I pwned U!

Shrinefox

Persona Modder
Trophies
Website
shrinefox.com
XP
Country
United States
Not sure about what kind of files they are, i don't have animal crossing, if you PM me some of those files (at least 2 or 3) when i'll have time i'll look into them, if the format is similar i might add support for them,have you tried opening them with this program ?
Here's a couple samples... (1) (2)
They're "umsbt" so it seems reasonable to assume they're related to msbt. The editor can't open them

Reserved

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, the editor can open them. It doesn't crash or anything. It's just that they're garbled music notes.

schrmh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can't seem to find any MSBT in the Sys Settings App...... Any Help?
Use BatchLZ77 to decompress message_EU_LZ.bin *, open it with EveryFileExplorer and export hud.msbt and mset.msbt files.
(* I don't know the US name of this file)

It's no problem to edit those files, but injecting them back is a problem for me (tried it with DARCTool; Maybe it does not work because there are many msbt files with the same name)
Does anybody know how to inject hud.msbt and mset.msbt back to e.g. the EU_German folders in message_EU_LZ.bin?

Last edited by schrmh,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: hoi