Hacking Slim or regular version, advise please

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read the ultimate noob guide to the vita but it didn't seem to cover slim/regular versions, just firmware. I have never owned or used a vita before but I heard that the slim version does not have a disk/cartridge slot.

What are the pros and cons of the two types and is one preferable over the other for hacking?

I'm assuming games go on a memory card like the 3ds?

Ferris1000

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Phat:
- 3G + wifi and Wifi version available
- OLED Display (pictures may burn into the OLED display)
- no internal storage

Slim:
- only wifi version available
- LCD Display
- 1gb internal Storage

Both (phat and alive) have a cartridge slot
Pro on Phat 3G + Wifi is that you could replace the 3G module with an pci-e to micro SD slot module.
Both consoles are except of the listed differences exactly the same (same cpu, ram etc.)
The higher chance to get a psvita with an old firmware is on phat consoles because the Slim consoles are produced near the 3.60 firmware.

tsam2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I just read the ultimate noob guide to the vita but it didn't seem to cover slim/regular versions, just firmware. I have never owned or used a vita before but I heard that the slim version does not have a disk/cartridge slot.

What are the pros and cons of the two types and is one preferable over the other for hacking?

I'm assuming games go on a memory card like the 3ds?
About hacking, fw is the most important thing on both slim and phat vitas. All vitas have cartridge slots (maybe you have mistaken it with a psp model which didnt have umd disc cartridge). The main differences between the 2 models is the screen (phat-oled slim-led), the battery (phat-5 hrs slim 6hrs), slim is a little bit lighter and has better grip. The hacking is quite the same. And yes you can install games on sony memory cards, or buy an sd2vita adapter to use micro sd cards.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Beside the already mentioned differences I think the only points missing are that the slim model has ~1hour longer battery life and feels much cheaper produced then the original version and that the slim model is ~40grams lighter then the first version (without 3G module, it's even more compared to the 3G model).
About the OLED screen you should be aware that it's one of the more early OLEDs which means not only the burn-in is a serious problem if you often play the same game (remind that e.g. HUDs are always at the same location, even if they tend to be translucent). Alot of original Vita screens I saw also already got a yellow tinct (OLED problem).
The OLED of the original looks much more vibrant (actually too vibrant, but I guess it could count as plus for the many cartoon/anime-optic games on the Vita) then the screens of the slim model, but I really only recommand to buy a OLED model if it's brand new or at least not often played due to the screen issues.
You shouldn't care about the 1GB internal memory. Once you installed a memory card (you should get a vita2SD, the prices for Sony's Vita memory cards are a bad joke...) you also only can use it when you mess abit around and (normaly you don't have access to both memory card and internal memory)... If you get a vita2SD you really shouldn't care about the 1GB internal memory for your decision making process if you take a fat or slim model.

Last edited by VitaType,

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. Just one more question, does it matter if the vita is from Japan? Or should I try for a local version?

Oh... and is there a size limit to the micro SD card usable?

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel,

RY0M43CH1Z3N

Touching things and improving your world
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
If you don't care about the money or the module 3G, i preffer Slim (after some hours playing you felt it, the phat is more weight). And you have internal storage (ex: for 3.65 henkaku Enso update without Oficial Memory Card)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have had 2 phats and 1 slim. Personally I prefer the slim. It does for sure feel cheaper and lighter, but after some time with it, its nicer to not have a heavy handheld. Sure you do lose the color depth of the OLED screen, but compared side by side is really the only way you would ever notice.

Reactions: RY0M43CH1Z3N

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If you want to have a CFW, just pick whatever cheap PSV you can get your hands on. Firmware 3.60 and below is getting harder to find.
But, if you wanna go legit, the slim has a lot of choices in colors and cheap accessories. You'll only be missing the OLED.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1