Gaming Skyward Sword with Classic Controls

Do You Want Traditional Controls with Skyward?

• Yes!

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • No! It's perfect as is!

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • Please go F* yourself.

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you read too much into my posts, that's your problem.
The lengths Zelda fans go to support their point of view...
You start with that sentence belittling my opinions implying that I'm going through mental gymnastics to defend the game.
There's a strong reason Nintendo has abandoned motion controls for good with future Zelda titles and are instead focusing on more traditional control schemes.
Then you go expressing that Nintendo supports your opinion that the motion controls sucked and and that's why the new game reverted to traditional controls. Nevermind the fact that the new game uses the Gamepad with there being no indication of support for a traditional controller, and they've already shown the game making use of motion controls of the Gamepad. So the real story here isn't that Nintendo has abandoned motion controls now and in the future, but that they've embraced the Gamepad for this game making use of motion controls as well as other features not supported by the Wiimote+.
You can keep telling yourself how awesome motion controls in SS are, but it still stands that the game itself is mundane and the controls ultimately make or break the game for you.
Here you go again with the belittlement.

Well, Twillight Princess does have Widescreen support in the Wii version which the Gamecube version lacks. I would say this is reason enough to make a patch :P
I do believe that you can play in widescreen on Nintendont

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Then you go expressing that Nintendo supports your opinion that the motion controls sucked and and that's why the new game reverted to traditional controls. Nevermind the fact that the new game uses the Gamepad with there being no indication of support for a traditional controller, and they've already shown the game making use of motion controls of the Gamepad.
You again read too much into what I say. Here's what I said (emphasis added):

focusing on more traditional control schemes.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I swear if Zelda turns out to be a GamePad-exclusive title, I'm done with Nintendo. I'll sell everything related to the Wii U that I have and turn 100% to a PS4 player. If Nintendo willingly screws up its most important release in 2015 then I can confidently say I have lost any and all faith in said company. I'll still stick around to the 3DS, at least that's a platform even Nintendo can care about.

My only issue with the GamePad is that with long gaming sessions holding the controller starts to become a pain whereas the Wii U Pro Controller's light-weight and there's just nothing that I'd dislike about it (except for the lack of analogue triggers but oh well). A game like Zelda needs to support the Wii U Pro Controller, that's a given.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is very likely to do so as the original supported the Wii Classic Controller. And Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem too, oh wait... it's vaporware lol. :P

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My only issue with the GamePad is that with long gaming sessions holding the controller starts to become a pain whereas the Wii U Pro Controller's light-weight and there's just nothing that I'd dislike about it (except for the lack of analogue triggers but oh well). A game like Zelda needs to support the Wii U Pro Controller, that's a given.

I guess the designers at Nintendo thought the theme for Wii and Wii U should be "Donkey Kong arm". Because gorilla arm wasn't enough, they needed to make the ergonomics even worse, possibly influenced by Donkey Kong lifting barrels without support, which isn't ergonomic. :)

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I liked using the gaming pad for off tv-play but battery life is a real downer. Never had a problem with the weight though

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Though I LOVE the motion controls and have no gripes with them (now that I've adjusted), I have wondered if such a hack would be possible. The recent Rom hacks to the 2 DS Zelda's where in you can use the directional pad for 95%f of the game made me think that such things ought to be possible for Wii games also.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear if Zelda turns out to be a GamePad-exclusive title, I'm done with Nintendo. I'll sell everything related to the Wii U that I have and turn 100% to a PS4 player. If Nintendo willingly screws up its most important release in 2015 then I can confidently say I have lost any and all faith in said company. I'll still stick around to the 3DS, at least that's a platform even Nintendo can care about.

I hope it is gamepad exclusive. The whole point of the Wii U is to use the gamepad. I use the gamepad for every game and don't even own a Wii U pro controller. Other than the poor battery life, there is nothing wrong with the gamepad.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I hope it is gamepad exclusive. The whole point of the Wii U is to use the gamepad. I use the gamepad for every game and don't even own a Wii U pro controller. Other than the poor battery life, there is nothing wrong with the gamepad.

I think this point has been beaten to death already, but even though I acknowledge the Wii U GamePad being useful and in some games actually adding a lot to the gameplay (e.g. managing inventory on the fly in WWHD), I still question the decision to design a game exclusively around the Wii U GamePad. We finally have an HD console from Nintendo and they've been very careful to make sure most of their games look great and smooth in 1080p 60fps, but then I should instead look on a small 480p screen with compressed picture quality? What a waste of an HD console, IMO. I'm all for enabling the Wii U GamePad in games, but it should remain optional.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip

The GamePad has very poor picture quality compared to an HDTV and that its battery doesn't last long, also, for long gaming sessions it's not ideal to be holding it so which is why it'd be great that the Wii U Pro Controller would be supported for the game.

Zelda 2015 for GamePad features will most likely have a map you can pin point your destination, tools to quickly use and as such but nothing really to make it "GamePad-exclusive". For fuck sake Nintendo don't make the same mistake twice (*cough* Captain Toad *cough*).

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But frankly I don't think Skyward Sword would be any fun without the wiimote plus. The motion controls are what make the game what it is... Can you play Duck Hunt without the Zapper? Can you play WarioWare Twisted without tilting your game boy advance? Sure, you can but everyone who played these games will tell you that you're missing all the fun if you don't play the way they were intended... You'll be fooling yourself thinking you're playing football with your hands, but you're actually playing handball.

If you take motion controls away from Skyward Sword all you're left with is a mediocre Zelda that is too linear and have a world so small that requires backtracking the same areas like 3/4 times... My opinion is that if you don't like the motion controls in this game, you don't like the game itself and no amount of modding is going to change that. But I disgress :P

To be fair, I believe the overworld and dungeons are actually far larger than any Zelda to date and it kept the tradition of improving on the storytelling (from a literary perspective). It would still be a good game without the excellent motion control; it just wouldn't be groundbreaking.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy
D

Deleted User

I thought the motion controls were fun and anyone who says they were imprecise is a liar and/or is using some chinese wiimotion plus.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I thought the motion controls were fun and anyone who says they were imprecise is a liar and/or is using some chinese wiimotion plus.

I have the Skyward Sword limited edition bundle that comes with the golden Wiimote. I checked and it's Made in China. You have a point.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have actually been searching for a solution to the motion problem for a long while now. When DKCR came out on wii, It was unintuitive to have to shake the controller to get DK to do certain things, often resulting in my death. Another I would like to see "fixed" is Super Mario Galaxy. While its only a minor gripe, I would love to be able to trigger Mario's Luma spin without waggling something. Playing the game on a traditional controller could make the game more interesting if you ask me.

prince_h

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi Guys, I hope it's ok to revive this old thread.

Just wanted to know, if it would be possible to mod the wii version of Skyward sword with the control setup of the switch version?

As mentioned here it would greatly make the game better for many

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
would love to know if it's possible to have normal controls on the Wii U or Switch versions

wish I could play the game :\
I’ve heard the Switch version allows you to use a standard controller rather than motion controls. While it’s still not “normal” compared to other traditional 3D Zelda controls, it’s something I guess.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: