Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC now available

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had a master vampire attack myself, but this (seems to have) stopped after completing the main Dawnguard quest...(as Dawnguard, natch) - perhaps it's incentive for players to rid themselves of the threat? Also it's quite clear these attacks on cities are only at night - annoying or no, I don't think that's a bug....

re: PC over consoles.... personally speaking I've got a 360, PS3 and a PC with a Radeon 6870 inside, so no slouch, but personally I prefer playing a big game like Skyrim sat down on the sofa, feet up kinda thing, after a hard days work to hunched up over a pc monitor any day of the week... for the record my 2 lads have Skyrim running on High/Ultra on said PC, with mods, and they can keep it. I'm done with pc gaming (perhaps I'm just an old fart lol)

re: 360 first.... money talks friends! This isn't Bethesda screaming 'FU PC/PS3 owners!', this is M$ throwing plenty of money at them for an exclusivity window. Sony also do it to a lesser extent: Battlefield 3 being an example..

Reactions: 1 person

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
re: PC over consoles.... personally speaking I've got a 360, PS3 and a PC with a Radeon 6870 inside, so no slouch, but personally I prefer playing a big game like Skyrim sat down on the sofa, feet up kinda thing, after a hard days work to hunched up over a pc monitor any day of the week... for the record my 2 lads have Skyrim running on High/Ultra on said PC, with mods, and they can keep it. I'm done with pc gaming (perhaps I'm just an old fart lol)
You can set up a gaming PC at a TV. And most PC games support 360 controllers nowadays. So there's that.

Reactions: 1 person

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can set up a gaming PC at a TV. And most PC games support 360 controllers nowadays. So there's that.
Aye very true!! Been noseying at the Alienware console sized PC thingie for a while now, looks rather nice! Trouble is I'd never get my lads off the damn thing lol..... PASS! Fair point indeed though!

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i agree with most of what you said, but i'm just fine with my ps3. $1000 is still too much for a smaller screen experience. Heck, even $500 is too much.
I do kinda hope something happens that shows Bethesda that doing pointless deals with Microsoft, at the expense of other console users, is a bad business practice.

It gets worse than just the timed exclusives. I seen reports that microsoft have threatened to pull devs licenses if they pushed the hardware of other consoles higher than what the 360 is capable of. Microsoft has never denied those reports either way. I tend to believe those reports. Microsoft has been known to use dirty tactics to get what they want even before they went into the console business. I'm not a fan boy in anyway. I have 3 consoles. Each has there faults.

Almost forgot: It's been said by Epic and a few others originally wanted to give DLC away for free on all consoles. Microsoft won't let them do it. Afraid of losing sales if they made DLC free on the PS3 and Not on the Xbox 360, they were forced to charge everyone for DLC.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After putting it off, I finally started Skyrim this summer. Boy, am I glad I waited; I have sunk so many hours into the game already (and just barely scratched the surface). I would have had no time for it during the school year.

The whole plot with the vampire lords seems kind of lame, but I'm sure I'll end up, one way or another,, getting this DLC eventually.

Reactions: 2 people

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Bethesda is not getting my money for Dawnguard when it comes to the PC, as one poster already put it, they are the exact reasons why I won't get it. I hope they learn a lesson from this. Not only is the DLC buggy on the 360 by the sounds of it, timed exclusive DLC is even more unethical then timed exclusive games themselves. Considering how much they like to cater to console fanboys though, this doesn't surprise me, and that's why I won't bother with this DLC pack when it comes to the PC. Skyrim and Oblivion are blatantly designed to be pro-consoles, which is why the control layouts suck for the PC and the graphics lack colour, it's all fucking grey scale and repetitive character and environment design

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i agree with most of what you said, but i'm just fine with my ps3. $1000 is still too much for a smaller screen experience. Heck, even $500 is too much.
I do kinda hope something happens that shows Bethesda that doing pointless deals with Microsoft, at the expense of other console users, is a bad business practice.

It gets worse than just the timed exclusives. I seen reports that microsoft have threatened to pull devs licenses if they pushed the hardware of other consoles higher than what the 360 is capable of. Microsoft has never denied those reports either way. I tend to believe those reports. Microsoft has been known to use dirty tactics to get what they want even before they went into the console business. I'm not a fan boy in anyway. I have 3 consoles. Each has there faults.

Almost forgot: It's been said by Epic and a few others originally wanted to give DLC away for free on all consoles. Microsoft won't let them do it. Afraid of losing sales if they made DLC free on the PS3 and Not on the Xbox 360, they were forced to charge everyone for DLC.

Pretty sure Microsoft doesn't have the right to tell developers what to do and I hope that they learn their lesson with making Wii U games. I couldn't give two shits about the 360, DLC doesn't have to be free but some content shouldn't be paid that's for sure, especially map packs. The only time paid DLC is justified is if it's adding to the experience of the game after the main story is complete, or extending the life of a game that isn't really story driven or requires a larger amount of data to keep players interested.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Pretty sure Microsoft doesn't have the right to tell developers what to do and I hope that they learn their lesson with making Wii U games. I couldn't give two shits about the 360, DLC doesn't have to be free but some content shouldn't be paid that's for sure, especially map packs. The only time paid DLC is justified is if it's adding to the experience of the game after the main story is complete, or extending the life of a game that isn't really story driven or requires a larger amount of data to keep players interested.

No they can't force devs to do anything but if Microsoft doesn't like what they are doing they can stripe them of their licenses for making 360 games.

Makoto03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i also hate how much the 360 holds developers back, because when they make multi platform games they have to use 360 as the initial console. They aren't able to push the Ps3's blu-ray to its limits like Sony exclusive games can. Skyrim on ps3 looks way better than fallout 3 or oblivion, but it would have looked even greater had they not even bothered holding back for the 360. :(

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
i also hate how much the 360 holds developers back, because when they make multi platform games they have to use 360 as the initial console. They aren't able to push the Ps3's blu-ray to its limits like Sony exclusive games can. Skyrim on ps3 looks way better than fallout 3 or oblivion, but it would have looked even greater had they not even bothered holding back for the 360. :(
I think that's due to being easier to develop for the 360. I read that somewhere around 2 years ago, I don't know if this claim is still valid. If it bothers you so much, why not buy a 360? I bought all the consoles, for exclusives and other scenarios.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

No they can't force devs to do anything but if Microsoft doesn't like what they are doing they can stripe them of their licenses for making 360 games.

Yeah, but telling developers they have to charge for DLC on other platforms because they want to make it free is anti-competition, and that kind of practise is illegal here in Canada. Developers should man up and take Microsoft's bluff, it's not hurting the developers if they decide to drop a multiplatform game for one console because of ethics, it's lost revenue for Microsoft and it's less money wasted on a 360 version as well.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, but telling developers they have to charge for DLC on other platforms because they want to make it free is anti-competition, and that kind of practise is illegal here in Canada. Developers should man up and take Microsoft's bluff, it's not hurting the developers if they decide to drop a multiplatform game for one console because of ethics, it's lost revenue for Microsoft and it's less money wasted on a 360 version as well.
You are completely ignoring the fact that the 360 has sold extremely well and a lot of people it. It would also be potential lost revenue for the developers. I agree with your view on some DLC, especially map packs.... But that's Microsoft for you.

I'm pretty sure you can agree Dawnguard is well worth the money?

Makoto03

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that's due to being easier to develop for the 360. I read that somewhere around 2 years ago, I don't know if this claim is still valid. If it bothers you so much, why not buy a 360? I bought all the consoles, for exclusives and other scenarios.
the 360 doesn't have any exclusives i'm interested in. plus i don't like paying the gold subscription fee to do basic things like online gaming and messaging friends, which i can do for free on psn.

Shadow0X3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who owns all three major consoles (Only two worth anything though, Nintendo, y u wii fail?) I have to say I hate it.
Everyone fanboys on the Ecksbawks, says the PS3 is shit, and then rips on the PC just because it's not their beloved M$ box. If my computer didn't suck, I'd sell my Xbox and keep the PS3. Xbox exclusives all suck, PS3 is a two-in-one package that gives you a blu-ray player, and PC is the best gaming device, because you can do so much more with it.
As it were, I'll probably end up getting the Skyrim DLC just because some of what's in it seems really interesting. Being able to craft arrows is a lot more appealing than have to "dupe" Daedric arrows at Guard stations

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still trying to decide about the dlc. Should I buy it now or wait? I still have some guild and side quest to do. I'm only lvl 28 and have about 63 hours in now. I did a lot of exploring. The landscapes are so awesome. As much as I like Fable 3, it's landscapes are no where near as explorable as Skyrim's

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ITT blaming Microsoft for other publishers problems.

Publishers price their content. Not console makers. Microsoft gets exclusivity deals and mostly timed exclusivity deals, but so does everyone. Don't like the DLC? Go cry to Bethesda, Microsoft just make the console and they realized that a timed exclusivity deal will draw in more sales. Which every company does.

Stop bitching like a bunch of schoolgirls.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still trying to decide about the dlc. Should I buy it now or wait? I still have some guild and side quest to do. I'm only lvl 28 and have about 63 hours in now. I did a lot of exploring. The landscapes are so awesome. As much as I like Fable 3, it's landscapes are no where near as explorable as Skyrim's
Honestly, aside form the vampire attack 'bug' on cities (which as I said earlier isn't a bug in my opinion, and can be easily avoided), purchasing this dlc won't hinder progress on your main quest at all... if you're interested in buying it there's a lot added (arrow crafting, dragon weapons, crossbow, even **SPOILER?** the random dragons can now break through ice and smash back out in a different location - most impressive by the way - etc etc)
Still a bit pricey in my opinion, but that's one of the few faults...

....and like has just been said, for those of you who've turned this into another pissy 'my machine's better than yours' thread, this should really only be a thread about Dawnguard - I'm sure there's plenty other threads for that rubbish! :P

BrunoAlvesMontei

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there any way to download this DLC without using the M$ service?

For example: Download and install it without connecting to the LIVE, before someone asks no my XBOX is not banned but it is modded and don't have enough points to buy it.

Shadow0X3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to download this DLC without using the M$ service?

For example: Download and install it without connecting to the LIVE, before someone asks no my XBOX is not banned but it is modded and don't have enough points to buy it.
The only thing I can think of is account recovery workaround. Just go to a friends place and buy it on their box, then recover your account on yours. Or use a USB drive to carry the account around and bring back the DLC. Although I'm not sure that last one would work, because I don't know if the Dawnguard works with buyer ID like the games do on le ecksbawks

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's too much work. He can log onto xbox.com. Buy the DLC from there and it will get added to his download list. Even if he bought it and downloaded it on a friends xbox, it is most likely blocked from transfer to a usb.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1