Hacking SKY3DS - Problem with Samsung MicroSD cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malachi_Constant

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been experiencing crashes with my 64GB Samsung PRO as well as a 32GB Samsung EVO both bought directly through Amazon, no resellers. Switching to an 8GB Sandisk Ultra I had lying around has fixed everything but I'd like to have something a little larger so I can carry a few games around with me.

Before I do that though - is the problem with Samsung cards or with larger/faster cards in general? I ask this because a quick google made it seem like other people had problems with the Sandisk Extreme Pro that has 95mb/s read. Is there a list of 100% compatible cards anywhere?

pattho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 samsung pro 32gb with sky3ds that are also locking up / blackscreen periodically.
Bought directly from amazon (will try to run a checker against them thou)

Was using an old old 4gb sandisk with no lockups earlier...
Bought a Sandisk 64gb today and will give it a try, will let you know

16/32gb seems to be sweet spot, otherwise too annoying to skip thru all the games

pattho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sandisk ultra plus micro sdxc 64gb giving same crash with BravelyDefault

Read elsewhere to run diskwriter in XP-SP3 compatibility mode
Trying that now...

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Folks, you're making this more complicated than you need to.

Go get EaseUS Partition Master (from filehippo).

Open up EPM and find your mSD. DELETE ALL PARTITIONS>APPLY>CLOSE EPM

OPEN DISKWRITER>FORMAT>WRITE GAME>TEST.

If you really have to, try deleting the MBR. Rebuild the MBR. Chances are the "super" is just software/firmware of mSD which is causing conflict.

CLASS 10 32GB is plenty. If you are using a 64GB mSD on Sky3DS, you're wasting money. Only 31 games per mSD.

To get 31 games onto 32GB mSD and still have 1-2GB free for savedata writing on Sky3DS, use ROM-TOOL to trim your .3DS ROMs.

d3ighty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
my Samsung Ego 32gb works After i formated it a few times and did an non empro at first.

ManBeaPig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got a Kingston 2GB that's almost definitely fake that doesn't work. I have a C10 Sandisk 32gb on the way though. The sky3ds does one long flash as if it's found the game but nothing comes up on the 3ds.

d3ighty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had that error too. I "fixed" it by reinserting the Cartbridge and pushing the buttons a couple of times and patience.

If this wont work, maybe you need a rework on the flash, meaning formating and doing everything again with diskwriter. Use Diskwriter for formatig and maybe this:https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BEFORE EVEN USING YOUR mSD IN DISKWRITER:

DELETE ALL PARTITIONS IN EASEUS PARTITION MASTER (APPLY CHANGES)

Leave it unformatted and unpartitioned. Open up Diskwriter. FORMAT.

Use a USB adapter. Avoid USB hubs. Try to avoid using SD card slot adapters.

Do not use Windows formatting. Do not NTFS format it. Do not format it at all. Let Diskwriter format it.

Here's why:

When Diskwriter formats the mSD it formats to FAT10 or 15 (forget which) and connects the .ZIP file to the MBR.

This is why it helps to sometimes delete the MBR and clear out all formatting and partitions of the mSD.

If you brick the mSD and can't get it to format back to normal, destroy all partitions in EASEUS PARTITION MASTER, destroy the MBR. Rebuild the MBR and format back to defaults in EASEUS.

Basically, wipe it clean of all partitions, all formatting, and reset the MBR. This can be tricky, but you will want to google how to use EASEUS PARTITION MASTER with mSDs and how to delete and rebuild MBRs.

There is no such thing as a "fake" mSD or SD unless it is made of cardboard and glue. They all work. Only way they don't work is if the flash memory has been damaged. To do this means you would have to melt the damn thing. And if that happens, I have no pity for you.

Otherwise, destroy all partitions. Destroy MBR. Start fresh. Do not format. Let Diskwriter format it.

A hardcore clean slate format.

yessuz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
BEFORE EVEN USING YOUR mSD IN DISKWRITER:

DELETE ALL PARTITIONS IN EASEUS PARTITION MASTER (APPLY CHANGES)

Leave it unformatted and unpartitioned. Open up Diskwriter. FORMAT.

Use a USB adapter. Avoid USB hubs. Try to avoid using SD card slot adapters.

Do not use Windows formatting. Do not NTFS format it. Do not format it at all. Let Diskwriter format it.

Here's why:

When Diskwriter formats the mSD it formats to FAT10 or 15 (forget which) and connects the .ZIP file to the MBR.

This is why it helps to sometimes delete the MBR and clear out all formatting and partitions of the mSD.

If you brick the mSD and can't get it to format back to normal, destroy all partitions in EASEUS PARTITION MASTER, destroy the MBR. Rebuild the MBR and format back to defaults in EASEUS.

Basically, wipe it clean of all partitions, all formatting, and reset the MBR. This can be tricky, but you will want to google how to use EASEUS PARTITION MASTER with mSDs and how to delete and rebuild MBRs.

There is no such thing as a "fake" mSD or SD unless it is made of cardboard and glue. They all work. Only way they don't work is if the flash memory has been damaged. To do this means you would have to melt the damn thing. And if that happens, I have no pity for you.

Otherwise, destroy all partitions. Destroy MBR. Start fresh. Do not format. Let Diskwriter format it.

A hardcore clean slate format.
hi.

yes, used the usb adapter, removed partition (fat partition is 512 kb only, everything else - unallocated) - Used Ease Us Partition Master.
formatted with DiskWriterV106b5 (run as admin)
Used roms - EU only.

and still got errors..

Interesting enough, my SD card was unwritable after few partition deletions :/

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been experiencing crashes with my 64GB Samsung PRO as well as a 32GB Samsung EVO both bought directly through Amazon, no resellers. Switching to an 8GB Sandisk Ultra I had lying around has fixed everything but I'd like to have something a little larger so I can carry a few games around with me.

Before I do that though - is the problem with Samsung cards or with larger/faster cards in general? I ask this because a quick google made it seem like other people had problems with the Sandisk Extreme Pro that has 95mb/s read. Is there a list of 100% compatible cards anywhere?
It seems to be hit and miss with Samsung cards , I made a post today about a new Samsung evo 250 gb card I purchased can’t go more than 5 mins without getting error msgs switched to my 64 gb SanDisk and no issues however my son has the same Samsung card in his and works flawlessly..

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It seems to be hit and miss with Samsung cards , I made a post today about a new Samsung evo 250 gb card I purchased can’t go more than 5 mins without getting error msgs switched to my 64 gb SanDisk and no issues however my son has the same Samsung card in his and works flawlessly..
Look at the age of this thread you just bumped. Most of these members haven't been active for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol