ROM Hack sky3ds diskwriter python clone (for linux & osx)

Matteo Di Stefano

Trophies
XP
Country
hi there,
i install the app but everytime i open it i get an error code saying " template text not found...." so i try to copy the template in my library and application support but i can't find the folder for the sky3ds writer. can you help me please, i'm not an advance user so i'm very bad with this stuff. cheers

Cliemacfr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hi there,
i install the app but everytime i open it i get an error code saying " template text not found...." so i try to copy the template in my library and application support but i can't find the folder for the sky3ds writer. can you help me please, i'm not an advance user so i'm very bad with this stuff. cheers
you have to create it ( create the folder /Users/XXXyourusernameXXX/Library/Application Support/sky3ds/)

texasnano24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive done some seroius trouble shooting but if its not one thing its another. The template.txt file is not turning into a .json file, so when I go to write a game it gives me an error.

texasnano24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this all needs instructions cause the code is good im sure I just have no clue on how to use it. I run into errors and so far the gui has been the one I have had most "success" still cant get anything to write.

sukittrebek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question. I have loaded the template and everything seems to be fine. The disk is telling me the proper space available (just under 30gb on a 32gb card). But when I format the disk is tells me "couldn't get disksize, will not continue." Suggestions?

And thank you guys a million for building this for OSX!

edit: it looks like when I hit format disk the drive is automatically ejected

Last edited by sukittrebek,

fspaniol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, like some of you, I have a sky3ds and a macbook, putting me in the difficult situation on how to write the roms to the SD card.

After reading this thread, I was finally able to make it work :)
I'm gonna write exactly what I did and hope it will help at least some of you.

First I downloaded the code from Lukas but wasn't able to run due to not having the progressbar and appdirs, so I downloaded them, installed them and copied the download into their respective folders inside the folder third-parties.

Also, I had to create the folder sky3ds inside the (Library/Application Support) and copied the new template there(mind you, when you download it, it comes with the name template(date).txt, rename it to template.txt, otherwise it won't work ;) (to find the folder Application support, you have to open the Finder, use the Go tab and select the option Go to Folder and write this "~/Library/Application Support", after that, just create the folder :) )

Ok, now we have to find which partition is your SD folder, to do so, open your terminal and type, "diskutil list", now find your SD card, it will be a "/dev/disk#", in my case its /dev/disk2, your may differ :)

now, put the roms in the folder of the sky3ds and go the folder in your terminal and use the following command:

"sudo python sky3ds.py -d /dev/disk# -w "romname.3ds" and you should be good

That is the command to write the roms, if you wanna do other stuff, like delete a rom or something like that, just check the github from Lukas and change it accordingly :)

Btw, I couldn't use the GUI, I managed to get it to find the template and open the SD card, but when I try to write a rom, it opens a search screen so that I could select which rom I want and it doesn't show any files from my computer, gladly I managed to make it work by command line

If any of you has any trouble I would be glad to help with the little knowledge I have

Special thanks for lukas_2511, cliemacfr NoSmokingBandit for the amazing work you've done, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: jcp

jcp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi, I've been following this thread for a while and the disk writer for OS X looks sweet. the only issue I'm having is importing the template into /sky3ds in /Application Support it says file not found. can anyone help. I've read fspainoil's post above and still cat figure it out. any help would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

jcp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yes i renamed it to just template.txt (no number) and i created the sky3ds folder in app support. Thanks for the instructions fspainoil, the only thing i didn't follow is about the GUI. you said you didn't use it. how do i get the disk writer to launch on python or elsewhere? cheers :)

fspaniol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
go to the the python file folder with your terminal by using the cd "folder" command, and then once you're in there, you write roms with the following command: sudo python sky3ds.py -d /dev/disk# -w "romname.3ds", the rom has to be in the same folder as well :)

jcp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That seems good thanks, the only issue is that when I type "cd(sky3ds.py)" it says unexpected token near by. I'm not that great with terminal yet.... ;) am I doing the wright command?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also was anybody able to successfully write Roms with the gui?

fspaniol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
almost, you have to write cd sky3ds.py-master, and then inside the folder you use the "sudo python sky3ds.py -d /dev/disk# -w "romname.3ds" "
beware that he's gonna ask for your password because of the sudo command and when you type it, it will not show on the console, so you have to type it blindly :)

jcp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
almost, you have to write cd sky3ds.py-master, and then inside the folder you use the "sudo python sky3ds.py -d /dev/disk# -w "romname.3ds" "
beware that he's gonna ask for your password because of the sudo command and when you type it, it will not show on the console, so you have to type it blindly :)

Damn I feel like I'm so close! You've been soooo helpful and I think that I need something else as it still says no file or directory!! Aghhh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.