Hacking Sky3DS Corrupting Saves

LaurelAshley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started playing Nintendogs just for the hell of it (being nostalgic and all). I noticed after I had saved and went back in the next day, my save was gone. Then the second time I spent a ton of time and made a new game only to open it two days later and get "The save file is corrupted".
Now, it did this with Majora's Mask when I first opened it (even though I'd never had a save file of Majora's on my system, this being my first time playing) and it had to "delete the corrupted save". Didn't care much anyway because I was starting a new game.
I'm not entirely sure if this is due to a faulty Sky3DS (I've had it for a month-ish now and it's been working fine with some difficulties up until now), the game files themselves, or the SD card... I've had a lot of problems with Sky and my SD card in the past, but I thought everything was all good now.

Should I maybe just sell all this and get a 3DS with a lower firmware for Gateway?
If I can save this though, that would be best. God, if I had known I wouldn't have updated this thing.

malexj93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't mean to revive a dead thread, but I've been having this same exact problem with Majora's Mask since it was released, and every time I make a new save, it's corrupted and deleted the next time I start the game. This only happens if the cart is reset (cart removed, 3DS powered off, exiting the settings app, maybe others), but if I don't turn off the console and just close the game and open it again, my saves are fine.

I don't really have a problem with keeping my 3DS on at all times, but I definitely don't want to get far into the game and then have it die because I forgot my charger or something.

kurodax

Trophies
XP
Country
I started playing Nintendogs just for the hell of it (being nostalgic and all). I noticed after I had saved and went back in the next day, my save was gone. Then the second time I spent a ton of time and made a new game only to open it two days later and get "The save file is corrupted".
Now, it did this with Majora's Mask when I first opened it (even though I'd never had a save file of Majora's on my system, this being my first time playing) and it had to "delete the corrupted save". Didn't care much anyway because I was starting a new game.
I'm not entirely sure if this is due to a faulty Sky3DS (I've had it for a month-ish now and it's been working fine with some difficulties up until now), the game files themselves, or the SD card... I've had a lot of problems with Sky and my SD card in the past, but I thought everything was all good now.

Should I maybe just sell all this and get a 3DS with a lower firmware for Gateway?
If I can save this though, that would be best. God, if I had known I wouldn't have updated this thing.

Don't mean to revive a dead thread, but I've been having this same exact problem with Majora's Mask since it was released, and every time I make a new save, it's corrupted and deleted the next time I start the game. This only happens if the cart is reset (cart removed, 3DS powered off, exiting the settings app, maybe others), but if I don't turn off the console and just close the game and open it again, my saves are fine.

I don't really have a problem with keeping my 3DS on at all times, but I definitely don't want to get far into the game and then have it die because I forgot my charger or something.

when you done playing, you have to press the button on sky3ds to change the game, that will tranfer save data into the m card inside 3ds. If you don't do that, everything you do with the m card in sky3ds will cause corrupt to your save. Try to read the manual when you buy something.

malexj93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when you done playing, you have to press the button on sky3ds to change the game, that will tranfer save data into the m card inside 3ds. If you don't do that, everything you do with the m card in sky3ds will cause corrupt to your save. Try to read the manual when you buy something.

That's a little rude but okay...

The problem is, whenever I put MM on the card and scroll to it via blue button, it automatically skips the game. In fact, this happens with a few games for me (Pokemon Y, A Link Between Worlds, Monster Hunter 4 U), and the only way I can play them is by holding the blue button and releasing it to lock it place (flashing blue led). As far as I know (after trying many things and searching the internet), I can't take it off the lock so that it will scroll again. The only way to stop it from what I've seen is reset the cart.

Also, all those other games I mentioned have never had this problem. I've played through them all for many hours, restarting the console without switching games or pressing the blue button at all and their saves are still there right now. Even games which don't have this problem, I've had shut off on me in the middle of playing (some games freeze occasionally), and I'm brought back to my last save no matter what.

kurodax

Trophies
XP
Country

The problem is, whenever I put MM on the card and scroll to it via blue button, it automatically skips the game. In fact, this happens with a few games for me (Pokemon Y, A Link Between Worlds, Monster Hunter 4 U), and the only way I can play them is by holding the blue button and releasing it to lock it place (flashing blue led). As far as I know (after trying many things and searching the internet), I can't take it off the lock so that it will scroll again. The only way to stop it from what I've seen is reset the cart.

Also, all those other games I mentioned have never had this problem. I've played through them all for many hours, restarting the console without switching games or pressing the blue button at all and their saves are still there right now. Even games which don't have this problem, I've had shut off on me in the middle of playing (some games freeze occasionally), and I'm brought back to my last save no matter what.
You got a fake blue card. Skipping games, corrupt save file... it's the things from the red card, the first card from sky3ds. Ask the place you bought for replacement.
Losing save file also depends on the game you play, depends on the eeprom save to be exact.

Reactions: RahFah

LaurelAshley

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ordered mine from China and was only given the card, no manual.
If I was given one, I would have read it.
You didn't have to be rude about it.
I'm very new to the Sky3DS and if it weren't for my 3DS being updated, I would have gotten Gateway as it seems a lot more user-friendly and easy to use.

RahFah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Like kurodax said, the seller send to you a 'red button' sky3ds. This is the old model, originally made to store the 10 first games that you put on the card (not 10 games for microSD, the red button limit is 10 games for the sky3ds card).

Unfortunately this problem is gettin more common, buyers receiving a red button card.

kurodax

Trophies
XP
Country
I ordered mine from China and was only given the card, no manual.
If I was given one, I would have read it.
You didn't have to be rude about it.
I'm very new to the Sky3DS and if it weren't for my 3DS being updated, I would have gotten Gateway as it seems a lot more user-friendly and easy to use.

The manual is in the sky3ds main page, telling you to read the manual is not rude from my perspective.
1. Switch to next GAME:
Press red / blue button , sky3ds will save EEPROM to microSD card, it will skip to next game, at the same time,will read this game save data with EEPROM to microSD card, then you can start to play.
5. Before you change to new MicroSD Card or delete game save data:
If you currently have game save data saved in SKY3DS, and you want to be change to another new MicroSD Card, you should press the red / blue button to switch to next game, the game save data will be saved from the EEPROM memory to the SD Card.

You think gateway is easier to use than sky3ds ? Good luck with that.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imo gateway is quite a bit easier to use than Sky3ds.

All you really need to do is boot into gateway menu to setup emunand, after that drag and drop your .3ds files to the msd instead of having to constantly download template files and use programs to add games, among other things. xD

kurodax

Trophies
XP
Country
Imo gateway is quite a bit easier to use than Sky3ds.

All you really need to do is boot into gateway menu to setup emunand, after that drag and drop your .3ds files to the msd instead of having to constantly download template files and use programs to add games, among other things. xD

you don't need new template file if yours old template already had all the game you need. To add game to M card with the program, you need only 2 clicks (OK then write) then you choose the file you want to add like you upload picture to facebook. You think download new template file is harder than update emunand in gateway, woah.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you don't need new template file if yours old template already had all the game you need. To add game to M card with the program, you need only 2 clicks (OK then write) then you choose the file you want to add like you upload picture to facebook. You think download new template file is harder than update emunand in gateway, woah.

You don't need new emunand if your old emunand has all you need. :P

But yes, it's surprisingly simple. I own a gateway & a friend owns a Sky3ds, i'm happy I was able to use gateway.

kurodax

Trophies
XP
Country
You don't need new emunand if your old emunand has all you need. :P

But yes, it's surprisingly simple. I own a gateway & a friend owns a Sky3ds, i'm happy I was able to use gateway.

But it's not simple as download template file, and you can't access e shop if you don't update, i bought lots of think from e shop.

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Adding / replacing games / saves aren't as easy for the sky3ds as it is for the gateway either. Obviously both carts have their pros and cons.

To each their own.

malexj93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's possible that I got a fake card, I don't remember where I ordered it from but it was one of the cheaper sites. The card works for most games just fine, it's just the few exceptions I've named that have problems. Games like Kirby Triple Deluxe, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fantasy Life, Pokemon Rumble Blast, and a few others I've played with no problems at all or some very occasional freezing (in the case of Fantasy Life; played over a hundred hours and the game froze maybe 4 times).

But I've still never ever had a problem with games saving. In fact, right now I'm playing ALBW again and my save file is still there, I made a new file and have been playing it a lot. The card skips the game so I have to lock like I mentioned before. However, I've taken the cart out during a gameplay session, after the software is closed, after the console is powered on, and I've inserted it again in as many ways. Every single time I turn it on, I'm at my last save, whenever it was. 100% with this game and every other EXCLUDING Majora's Mask. So I'm just wondering what is different about Majora's Mask that makes it corrupt saves when none of my other games are doing it?

EDIT: As for using Gateway, I'm in the same boat as OP. I've updated my system too far to use Gateway, and I don't want to just wait for Gateway to catch up (if it ever will) and not update from now on since I use eShop and online features regularly. I'd love to use Gateway but it's just not a possibility at this point. I've gotten my money's worth from Sky3DS so I'm not upset about my purchase at all.

spoderman

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
YUDODIS.com
XP
Country
United States
f*** sky3ds
they suck D***s
they dont tell anyone about the flaws of the cart and what to do to prevent the save corruption
i noticed something about the saves
i played ssb and unlocked 2 characters
then i said i want to backup the save
i saved it to location
then i played it again and unlocked all the characters
then i went to the computer to backup the save
when i pressed yes it told me (do you want to replace this file with the one that has the same name ) [the old backup]
i said of course i want to replace it
the the save got corrupted
i played the game again
backed up the save
then played
then i deleted the old backup and made a new one without replacing and it worked
i tried it to with cooking mama and iit worked

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c